Cost of driving" Just Husband & Wife as only drivers. Insurance a year?

What does this do vs. letting them drive your car basically? I just make them primary on their respective vehicles.
Trying to understand the way your question is worded. Is this your car you are allowing them to drive or their car under your name?
If I am correct I think its their car under your name. My comment to the other person was that it is a "smart move" to have the kids vehicles under the kids name and not his.

The reason being is although rare, it does happen, being young sometimes big mistakes happen. Anything or anyone that vehicle that hurts, disables or kills someone or someones in an accident, you are the owner are responsible financially. Should the settlement be greater then the liability coverage they can then go after your assets because the vehicle is in your name.

Young people typically have less assets to go after in a severe situation like this.
Pretty much, if it can be avoided, it's always a good idea not to have a motor vehicle that you do not drive in your name.

Other things not realized, lets say your kids are super responsible and out on the town one night with their friends, have a designated driver who is not drinking and behind the wheel of your car and god forbid a terrible accident occurs, you as the owner are the responsible party and the one the attorneys will go after since you have the assets and own the vehicle.

Screenshot 2023-05-16 at 8.59.03 AM.jpg

Trying to understand the way your question is worded. Is this your car you are allowing them to drive or their car under your name?
If I am correct I think its their car under your name. My comment to the other person was that it is a "smart move" to have the kids vehicles under the kids name and not his.

The reason being is although rare, it does happen, being young sometimes big mistakes happen. Anything or anyone that vehicle that hurts, disables or kills someone or someones in an accident, you are the owner are responsible financially. Should the settlement be greater then the liability coverage they can then go after your assets because the vehicle is in your name.

Young people typically have less assets to go after in a severe situation like this.
Pretty much, if it can be avoided, it's always a good idea not to have a motor vehicle that you do not drive in your name.

Other things not realized, lets say your kids are super responsible and out on the town one night with their friends, have a designated driver who is not drinking and behind the wheel of your car and god forbid a terrible accident occurs, you as the owner are the responsible party and the one the attorneys will go after since you have the assets and own the vehicle.
These are all my cars w/ my name on title. They drive them. They are set as the "primary driver" for each on my auto policy. If they are in an accident/kill someone/etc. etc. yes, my insurance policy's liability coverage is in-place for that. If I transfer the title to them and get them their own policies, yes I can see that is fully on them but as a minor, I don't see how that would not come back to you at some level but for my two that driver, they are both 18+. I don't want my children having to worry about that but everyone makes their own decisions w/r this kind of thing. If I was that concerned they just wouldn't be driving. I know lots of folks with teenage drivers and don't know anyone who does what you are saying.

These are all my cars w/ my name on title. They drive them. They are set as the "primary driver" for each on my auto policy. If they are in an accident/kill someone/etc. etc. yes, my insurance policy's liability coverage is in-place for that. If I transfer the title to them and get them their own policies, yes I can see that is fully on them but as a minor, I don't see how that would not come back to you at some level but for my two that driver, they are both 18+. I don't want my children having to worry about that but everyone makes their own decisions w/r this kind of thing. If I was that concerned they just wouldn't be driving. I know lots of folks with teenage drivers and don't know anyone who does what you are saying.
To each their own whatever works for you. I personally wanted my kids to be responsible for themselves and for their cars. Part of growing up.

We are talking about your 18 year olds, the 17 year old will be 18 soon enough (time goes fast boy will you realize that in another decade.

Some people dont know about this kind of thing but many do, much information on it and if anyone you know is an injury attorney (or any attorney) who has worked on a case you would understand why his kids cars are under their own names and not the attorneys name.

It's all good, just discussing maybe I am reading your words wrong but dont take it personal. I just brought up some valid points. I left it to my kids to get their own insurance besides the title in their names, costs are high and while in school and college to some degree we helped them with the insurance premium and they responsible for the car maintenance.

We are around $1100/year, my actual car is minimally insured (fire and theft, no collision or comprehensive) and I think $1k deductible on the Outback, but we maxed out the insurance on us, for disability, injuries, etc. We live in a low claims area and have never made any claim in our 50+ years of combined driving so I think that helps, and CAA membership for a long time too.
We have two boys who will start driving in a few years, so we'll see what the rates are when they get added...

Then how will you insure them? They can't really get their own if they aren't adults.
Around here, if under 25 drivers just "reside" in your household your auto insurance is toast.

So they are in tents on the neighbors property. They have a post office box for snailmail

Around here, if under 25 drivers just "reside" in your household your auto insurance is toast.

So they are in tents on the neighbors property. They have a post office box for snailmail
This is how I understood it - adding a teen driver, even if primary on their own vehicle, they are effectively able to drive any of your vehicles and live at your address so your rate reflects that.

Can't understand how progressive can be less expensive with all the moronic adds they run. Must spend 1/3 of their revenue!
I *think* it's just teezer rates to get folks to switch....just like Verizon etc. After that first year/contract, your rate will jump up so folks will just keep jumping for the rate.

Can't understand how progressive can be less expensive with all the moronic adds they run. Must spend 1/3 of their revenue!

After a year or two they'll go up so I switch back and forth between Geico and Progressive. I strongly believe they just prey on loyal customers that think their premiums are raising because of the "increased car theft" the companies always claim when asked. I have a friend that was paying ~$200/month for a basic Fiesta S with Progressive that he's been with for a decade until I told him to shop around too.

Wife finally got into Liberty. $2,600 for one newish car, two beaters, and two adults with one teen boy. Am guessing another $500 if the daughter joins? tack on another 500 maybe if I another beater. Joy.

I remember when I had my Tundra, it was one year older than my Camry yet insurance was cheaper. I think I had it at lower miles per year, but still. I figured, it would make for more carnage if anything went wrong, but I guess Camry’s must get into more accidents.

After a year or two they'll go up so I switch back and forth between Geico and Progressive. I strongly believe they just prey on loyal customers...
You are absolutely correct
I do a search on everything I own a few times a year, when I find a lower price I switch. esurance.com might be another to add to your mix in comparing quotes.
They have been rock solid since I switched to them, this year is the first year in the last 3 or 4 they have raised by rate by more than a percent to two. This year it is going up about 12 or 13 percent, so good bye to them, before this year for the first time I could not find a better price (my actual bill is a few posts up and now going up to $565 every 6 months) I just checked a source someone else mentioned in here from Costco and Im back under $500 every six months which I have to take care of soon. (just moved to a new nearby state) but nothing to do with the increase because they dont know I moved yet.
I drop insure companies at any point in my policy, even if the policy is only a month old, if I find a better price I cancel it and go with the new company.

The longer you stay with a company the more you will pay. One other thing, I dont bundle cars, boat, bike or home. I use all different companies because I always find a better price without bundling. That is another misconception that you save money by bundling.

You guys lit the fire under my butt and I contacted a local small town broker today that I received a mailer from last week.

I switched from Allstate to New York Central Mutual and saved ~$1100/year between my auto and homeowner policy. Some better features offered as well.

This is for my wife and I, 21/yr old daugther, 3 vehicles in my sig and my 19 and 17yr/old sons listed as non-drivers (both have learners permits).

I think we're paying about $650 a year for two beaters through GEICO. Payments are every half year. No comprehensive - just basic liability and all other mandatory requirements for California policies.

I do remember filing a claim once where I wasn't sure I was eligible but ended up getting a check. But it was from the mandatory California uninsured motorist coverage where it was a hit and run in a parking lot and where I had witnesses. Was through Progressive which we had at the time, and our rates didn't go up. They did go up when we had comphrensive and I filed an at fault claim. Wouldn't have made a difference for my rates if I didn't because the other party would have clearly filed a claim.

Im replying to my own post in order to update this. I just got my renewal after 3 years with this company, which for my wife and is a long time with any insurance company we got a price increase to what would be $568 from the $494 for 6 months.
I say would be because I dont accept rate increases, maybe 1 to 3% but never 15% So I just dropped them.
It's all the same, the longer you're with a company the more they will raise your rates. I play the same game as them, I'll drop any insurance at anytime even in a policy I had only a month if I find a better price.

Thanks to someone in here who mentioned Costco, We are back below $490 every six months again for the same exact coverage above..
To me, buying insurance is no different than buying gas for my vehicles, low price wins.

Didn't want to start a new thread. But when I see something from State Farm in the mail, I know it's a rate "change." Change = increase

So many playing fields have been leveled in our lifetimes, will it ever happen with insurance?

Anyway, auto went up 8.5% since February 2023. Have NEVER had a claim in over 10 years. Then, if you look back to the 90's, had one claim, an accident with a BMW loaner car in 2010. The lizard co. paid out a whopping $3k. If not for that, never any claim, as in not, ever.

Homeowners went up 3% for 2023. NEVER HAD A CLAIM in the life of this home, dating back to 2002.

Why do we put up with it?

Furthermore, our cars are 2006, 2007, 2011. We really should drop comp/collision, but to tell you the truth, on paper, they look small. All 3 cars are nearly the same per 6 mos, so collision about $120, comp about $30, each. Actually, the 2007 BMW is $47 for comp, % wise a lot more than $30 if you will. But absolute amounts are not that much and so I carry full coverage still. Dumb.

It's such an unpleasant experience, I'm like a deer in headlights with the notion of switching. I've found that when I get quotes myself, they are more. But when an agent solicits me and already has the auto VINs, that's when it's a lot less.

After the accident, Allstate could cover our then 2 cars, for less than the lizard co., with the accident factored in!

Then, State Farm solicited with a too good to be true quote, VINs all included (they solicited me). Allstate, with whom I had dealt with personally over the 6+ years, literally, had no way of matching the quoted amount, despite wanting to keep me as a claim free customer.

So I guess if I were solicited, I'd change like that. I just don't want to shop and have my experience be like the past, just a waste of time....

Back