It's time for the motorcycle insurance shuffle

For three years in a row now, my motorcycle insurance premiums have gone up come policy renewal time. The reason given is always the same; rates have increased in your area due to inflation, and the resulting higher cost of replacement parts, labor, and everything else associated with vehicle repairs. This time they're going up 24%. Every year I shop insurance, and I usually change companies, because another company will offer me lower rates, only to raise them as soon as policy renewal time comes up. Is there any way around this stupid dance? What happened to companies rewarding their customers by not raising their rates for always paying premiums on time, and keeping a clean driving record with no accidents, tickets or claims? There also doesn't seem to be that many reputable companies that come up when doing a search for motorcycle insurance. I get a lot of companies I've never heard of before. What's the best way to shop MC insurance. What company do you use? Also do any of the companies like Hagerty or some of those other specialty companies insure motorcycles? I'm sick of doing this dance every year, I'd like to find a company I can stay with and won't jck my rates up every year...

I use progressive since they partnered with USAA my auto insurance provider. I ride a scooter so it may be totally different but it's like $90 a year. I cancel every fall and get like $35 back. It's so cheap I couldn't be bother to shop around.

Same here I have Progressive for both my scooters, $65 a year full coverage. Haven't had either a year but I'd be surprised if they raised it. I've had our RV insurance through them many years and they didn't even raise it after a fender bender, it even went down after a few years. State Farm was almost twice compared to Progressive.

Year one I went with Progressive, they raised my premium at renewal time, so I switched to Geico after they offered me a lower rate, then they raised my premium at renewal time, and I switched back to Progressive last year as they offered me a lower premium than Geico. Now my policy is due for renewal again, and they're raising my premium again. I'm sick of the stupid games. At this point, I'd be willing to pay a little higher premium if they just quit raising it. None of these stupid companies seem to give a krap about their loyal customers anymore. The mentality seems to be stick it to the consumer...

You're getting your one year "teaser" rate, and then at renewal time... it becomes obvious that the honeymoon is clearly over.
I just don't get why these companies all do the same exact thing and obviously don't care about customer loyalty at all. In this day and age when so many people don't have ANY insurance, these companies should be grateful to those of us who pay our premiums by not jacking up our rates at every policy renewal...

I just did a quote with them and they wanted $733 a year. Yikes!

Yikes! would be accurate.
Did you do the quote on line, or through an agent?
They are very selective about who they write, sounds like they didn't want the business, or that they didn't want the business unless home/auto was thrown in the package.

For a a long time now, companies have preferred gaining new customers over holding on to customers. That holds true especially for insurance companies and service providers. Those companies must be gaining more new customers than they are losing old ones because their approach is growth and profit-driven. You can always try to negotiate a lower rate by asking for the 'loyal legacy customer discount' or ask them to cancel your account.

If they start calling you a "Valued Platinum member" see the flattery for what it is, and shop around.

I just don't get why these companies all do the same exact thing and obviously don't care about customer loyalty at all. In this day and age when so many people don't have ANY insurance, these companies should be grateful to those of us who pay our premiums by not jacking up our rates at every policy renewal...
They don't care about customer loyalty anymore. This isn't Mayberry, and the 1960's are long gone.

Yikes! would be accurate.
Did you do the quote on line, or through an agent?
They are very selective about who they write, sounds like they didn't want the business, or that they didn't want the business unless home/auto was thrown in the package.

For a a long time now, companies have preferred gaining new customers over holding on to customers. That holds true especially for insurance companies and service providers. Those companies must be gaining more new customers than they are losing old ones because their approach is growth and profit-driven. You can always try to negotiate a lower rate by asking for the 'loyal legacy customer discount' or ask them to cancel your account.
Or I could just become like everybody else and not have ANY insurance...

They don't care about customer loyalty anymore. This isn't Mayberry, and the 1960's are long gone.
They do seem to care about making money though, and considering the current trend of more and more people driving without insurance, you'd think they'd bend over backwards to KEEP the customers they have who are religiously paying their premiums. Where will all the new clients come from after they've screwed everybody over? Eventually the stream of people willing to pay anything will run out, then how will insurance companies survive? You can't keep biting the hand that feeds you and expect to keep being fed...

I've had Progressive on my last two bikes. On the earlier one, a new bike in 2011, the premium more than doubled in 5 years to $400+. Pretty high liability levels and full coverage but bike only worth about $4k after 4 years. No claims. Currently have a 42 year old Suzuki worth a book value $1500, but actually more like $3k. Same full coverage for 4.5 years. Started at $68/year and currently at $95/year.

I just did a quote with Dairyland who I haven't checked in at least 15 years. They used to be cheap. They quoted $235/year for essentially the same coverage. Someone with a different bike or lives elsewhere may have a different result.

Back