Shopping for Insurance

Very interesting, Grampi. In my experience, USAA has been prohibitively expensive for over a decade. Their last quote was literally 2.5X what I'm paying for Progressive coverage in South Texas.

In my 25+ years of service, I've seen far too many people gravitate to them, because "they're for the military" or some other meaningless marketing crapola. They're in business to make money...not to serve military members and veterans.

USAA was originally established for military officers. At some point in the 1990s (if I recall properly) they opened up their products to all people in the service. Then in the early 2000s they welcomed any vet with a DD214. Today's commercials include relatives of any of the above. The next step might be to offer membership to anyone who's seen a John Wayne movie...

One can agree or disagree with their marketing and membership push. A huge drawback, however, is that by letting in so many people the overall risk pool has been adversely affected with many, many more claims paid and in queue.

What was once something special for members of the military is now just another ho-hum company. I'm actually surprised they're competitve anywhere.
Yup.

USAA has always been 1.5-2x higher for me than everyone else. Last time I shopped, USAA wanted $1100 for the year.....even Progressive was only $800. Got American Family for $650.

Back