Interesting comments from yesterday's Uber driver reference auto insurance points

Gee... Imagine a world in which a company bases it's operational model on taking money from clients and calculating how to "Not" pay-out a legitimate claim.
This not only goes for automobile insurance, but health insurance. And yes... they are able to sleep at night. o_O
It's no secret insurance is a legalized numbers game.....

That's a simplistic reasoning for rise in insurance rates. There are many examples of vehicles being "totaled" posted on here with damage deemed unrepairable-but at the same time the vehicle bringing major bucks at auction. To figure what rates are what they are is futile.
It is and makes me sleep better about it, lol. You are correct though, vehicles are totaled ad nauseum for value alone but them inflated at auction. My area was fairly cheap and I can only assume that not only did Covid change that through influx of NJ & NY drivers but the increased traffic from warehouses and Amazon delivery drivers. It is a futile attempt though.

Those of you with these newer, fancier cars with all this "technology" wouldn't have bought them with those features/options if it were priced separately and sitting next to a vehicle just like yours without it.
A lot of this stuff is mandated now because it reduces auto accidents so that argument is bogus.

I would love to pay out of pocket for a windshield but the Tiguan's replacement plus recalibration was almost $1,000 so it wasn't feasible. Doesn't surprise me though that all gets factored in, our insurance rates have skyrocketed it and I attribute that to the influx of patrons from out of state. It sucks really because it doesn't matter where I go the rate just gets higher.

How much of that was for the glass itself, and how much for the recalibration. I'm thinking that the recalibration part is super expensive and only necessary for some option that I wouldn't use or otherwise would turn off anyway.

A lot of this stuff is mandated now because it reduces auto accidents so that argument is bogus.
GM "Super Cruise", Tesla's "Autopilot", even the goofy camera actuated lane warnings & usually malfunctioning "collision warnings" in our Transits is MANDATED?? Yet another reason to avoid new vehicles-the junk just encourages people to pay even LESS attention when driving!

GM "Super Cruise", Tesla's "Autopilot", even the goofy camera actuated lane warnings & usually malfunctioning "collision warnings" in our Transits is MANDATED?? Yet another reason to avoid new vehicles-the junk just encourages people to pay even LESS attention when driving!
They are already paying less attention with a feature called a "cellphone". I can't even tell you how many drive around with a phone plastered to their ear! (Yes-it's illegal-but seemingly unenforceable once potential violations are more than cops can handle). Example-the 55mph speed limit back in the day.

How much of that was for the glass itself, and how much for the recalibration. I'm thinking that the recalibration part is super expensive and only necessary for some option that I wouldn't use or otherwise would turn off anyway.
The glass is more expensive to manufacture because of said features and they will not let it leave the facility without getting calibrated. I am also sure you will fail a safety inspection if there is a problem with it akin to a frayed seatbelt will also fail you.

They already don't pay attention and autonomous braking is a useful feature, if prevents one pedestrian injury or vehicle accident it is worth it. I am not speaking of the complete automation although if every car could be self driving and communicate freely with each other that wouldn't be the worst thing if it was 100% reliable.

Had a windshield replaced on the HAH for $570.00 and also had a flatbed trip the the dealer for what turned out to be a dying 12V battery. For having cost State Farm around $640.00 over two months this mutual company increased my rates by a couple of bucks a month. Oh well.

It's no secret insurance is a legalized numbers game.....
Yes! It is! I'd actually like to see the tables turned on them.... How about we look at "their" profits and see what's going on? I'm in the home building business.
It's no secret that the highest and most expensive homes here in the valley (Phx area) are owned by insurance executives. Gee...Imagine that... o_O

So - basically like so many others on here you say you are such a superior driver, with faster than normal reaction times you would make your vehicle less safe by turning off ( if you could) said safety features. Think about what I just wrote for a while....

In other news, it turns out there is no free lunch.

Insurance companies provide a service, but exist to make profits. They will always get their money back.

So - basically like so many others on here you say you are such a superior driver, with faster than normal reaction times you would make your vehicle less safe by turning off ( if you could) said safety features. Think about what I just wrote for a while....
And the times that the system thinks it sees something and hits the brakes without warning is more safe than someone turning off the system? I agree that this tech in most cases is superior but it's not perfect. Drivers have gotten too lazy and over-reliant on this stuff so they are less engaged...that scares me way more than people who turn off the nannies and pay attention.

Yes. I managed to make it to old age without this feature that I never knew that I somehow "needed"....

The glass is more expensive to manufacture because of said features and they will not let it leave the facility without getting calibrated. I am also sure you will fail a safety inspection if there is a problem with it akin to a frayed seatbelt will also fail you.
My state only does emissions testing. Plus I don't see how a state mandated safety inspection is going to test this feature.
Plus I bet Forscan can do this calibration.

they will not let it leave the facility without getting calibrated.

I'm guessing that most glass installers aren't going to care, or you can DIY glass replacement.

Yes. I managed to make it to old age without this feature that I never knew that I somehow "needed"....
Yes-and you also managed not to get run over while crossing the street while others have. Think about that for a moment....

Back