Cost of driving" Just Husband & Wife as only drivers. Insurance a year?

Im replying to myself so others can see my coverages and previous post), someone posted about Costco insurance and since my insurance is going up to $1,132 from under $1000 for the last couple years I just got a quote for under $1000 from Costco for the same coverages above.
So thanks to @Chris142

It's just insurance, like gasoline, a product, low price always wins and why my insurance costs are lower than anyone I know, home, boat, motorcycle, 2 cars. I NEVER bundle. I am ALWAYS able to find a better unbundled price having separate companies.

All that "safe driver" "bundle" discounts are all BS. There is always a lower price. Thanks Chris, also for others in here, esurance.com is another good source to check prices, they were good to me for a few years now. I can only assume their algorithm like every insurance company on earth, calculated I wouldnt switch after a price increase but I am not you typical consumer.
It's just insurance, I dont understand paying extra money to a company for being a loyal customer.

(I'm hoping the Costco price holds, I did put in my new address for the quote. I have to get my stuff register now in my new state which is very close to my old state *LOL*

These insurance companies rave about loyalty but are never loyal to their long term customers. I think it was one of your posts back in 2018/9-ish that made me switched from Progressive to Geico and I was able to cut my premium by $100/month. Geico decided to raise my premium again so I just switched back to Progressive and saved $40/month again.

For the fellas paying $1100 for 3 vehicles, is this for 6 months?

I'm paying ~$3600/yr for the 3 Nissans in my sig. This is for my wife, myself and 21yr/old daughter on my policy. I also have two boys with learner's permits, age 19,17. There's no way I'll be able to put the boys on my policy. Not only cost, but liability.
Then how will you insure them? They can't really get their own if they aren't adults.

These insurance companies rave about loyalty but are never loyal to their long term customers. I think it was one of your posts back in 2018/9-ish that made me switched from Progressive to Geico and I was able to cut my premium by $100/month. Geico decided to raise my premium again so I just switched back to Progressive and saved $40/month again.
Wow, thanks for this. Really cool to hear.
I truly look at all my insurance policies as no different than I do when buying gas for my vehicles. Low price wins, loyal to none.

Progressive has been really good with our boat and motorcycle. Our cars have been more of a challenge, insurance is very area dependent so no one company fits.

Yup as you find out, the longer you stay with one the higher rates go. Esurance made it longer than most with the low rate for our cars until this year. So it will be bye bye to them for now

Last edited:
Reactions: Pew
You can be with the same company for 40 years and go thru hell for a claim check too. Insurance companies have no loyalty to their customers.
Not so with State Farm, been with them over 50+ years and no problems with claims.

I'll help them pay for their own policies.
Won't this be far more expensive vs. just adding them to your exisiting policy? For the liability issues, they will come back to you anyway if they are minors.

State Farm, $1100/year, two cars two adult drivers liability (250/500), no comp no collision. I agree though what others have said so many variables to consider beyond two insured adults that impact the premium.

Smart along with having only their name on the title and registration.
What does this do vs. letting them drive your car basically? I just make them primary on their respective vehicles.

Welcome to a no-fault state.
I'll never forget when I got out of grad school in the late '90s and moved to NJ from VA...NJ is a no-fault state. I made the mistake of calling USAA to get a renter's policy for my appartment...."oh, you live in NJ now?...well...let's look at your auto insurance....". I was 26 and paid $2K/year that year for a basic '92 Toyota 4x4 truck. Unreal.

Well, I only have one car and I’m not married. I’ve been with USAA for about 14-years with zero collisions and no tickets. Yet, they screw me at every turn. I’m considered a high-risk because I’m unmarried, and live in a border town, where auto theft is considered high. I’m 69, and I receive no credit for keeping my car garaged with an annual miles of around 9700.
So essentially, I am paying for others’ bad behavior. In fact, I just got off the phone with them on Friday asking why my rates went up another $200 for a six-month premium at nearly $1100.00. The agent tried to comfort me by saying, it would be a lot more if I lived in Florida. Somehow, that didn’t make me feel any better.

I asked her if I was paying for the CEO’s weekly pedicures, but she didn’t respond. I closed by telling her that I do plan to shop around, but I fell short of going further. —those bastards!

Well, I only have one car and I’m not married. I’ve been with USAA for about 14-years with zero collisions and no tickets. Yet, they screw me at every turn. I’m considered a high-risk because I’m unmarried, and live in a border town, where auto theft is considered high. I’m 69, and I receive no credit for keeping my car garaged with an annual miles of around 9700.
So essentially, I am paying for others’ bad behavior. In fact, I just got off the phone with them on Friday asking why my rates went up another $200 for a six-month premium at nearly $1100.00. The agent tried to comfort me by saying, it would be a lot more if I lived in Florida. Somehow, that didn’t make me feel any better.

I asked her if I was paying for the CEO’s weekly pedicures, but she didn’t respond. I closed by telling her that I do plan to shop around, but I fell short of going further. —those bastards!
Dude....I feel you. I've spoken to them on this and tryign to understand why the rates have climbed so high. I've threatened to leave. Tehy don't care. I can cut my premium in half going to Progressive. Had USAA on my own for about 24 years now. It's insanity how much I pay for auto insurance. I actually got an email from the CEO (everyone got) that had a "email me if you have any concerns" so I did. They have someone that is trying to contact me to go over my frustrations with my premiums.

Dude....I feel you. I've spoken to them on this and tryign to understand why the rates have climbed so high. I've threatened to leave. Tehy don't care. I can cut my premium in half going to Progressive. Had USAA on my own for about 24 years now. It's insanity how much I pay for auto insurance. I actually got an email from the CEO (everyone got) that had a "email me if you have any concerns" so I did. They have someone that is trying to contact me to go over my frustrations with my premiums.

Thanks for the heads-up on Progressive! ✌️

Thanks for the heads-up on Progressive! ✌️
It's shocking to me that it's 50% less....I asked USAA "How can you be competitive like this?". They just say "These are our rates."

Safeco

Screenshot_20230515-165630-578.png

It's shocking to me that it's 50% less....I asked USAA "How can you be competitive like this?". They just say "These are our rates."
I just plugged in the stats, and for my car alone, it would result in a 59% reduction for the same coverage. I have to say, it sounds too good to be true. The website doesn’t get into deductibles, and mine is quite low. I have to look into this a bit deeper; I don’t want to find out later of some undisclosed catch. 🙉

Last edited:
I just plugged in the stats, and for my car alone, it would result in a 59% reduction for the same coverage. I have to say, it sounds too good to be true. The website doesn’t get into deductibles, and mine is quite low. I have to look into this a bit deeper; I don’t want to find out later of some undisclosed catch. 🙉
The catch is pay 1 year ahead lump and change your homeowners policy over.

I just dropped the '14 Maxima and added the '19 GLI and my coverage dropped by $12 a year. How does that happen given the new car is almost twice the value of the old one? That being said I likely have some of the cheapest rates on here given my state of residence at $97 per month with full coverage on both vehicles in my sig and 500k in liability.

Back