Cost of driving" Just Husband & Wife as only drivers. Insurance a year?

I make sure to not ask the wife what we pay… next month we will have two teen drivers…. If I add a fourth car I’m sure arm and leg pricing will be what it is.
YIKES! Man do I recall those days of having (2) young sons driving at same time. I made a deal with them. If they worked a part time job and saved a few $$$$$, I would provide the wheels. When wife would get a new car or I a new truck , they would get the older one as long as they came up with 1/2 the yearly insurance payment. They were more than happy to make that agreement in a minute. Still the price was outrageous. Wife n I were able to keep our Allstate Food / Fire / Home package. So we then bought them each a policy thru Farm Bureau which was pretty fair priced.

$996 a year, full collision and comp on a 17 Traverse and comp only on a 2012 Mazda 3
$1000. deductible on both. Full glass coverage with no deductible on both.
$250,000/$500,000 liability on everything = insured, under insured and uninsured.

Im one to change insurance companies on any substantial increase, If I find a lower price I will cancel a policy even with many, many months left on it and switch. Heck I cancelled homeowners insurance one month after my bank paid the premium and switched.
Nothing to lose!
I had nothing but praise for years about esurrance.com but in another month it is due to go up to $1,132 a year. So I will start hunting again, low price always wins for me and it's super easy to do with the internet.

Everybody and his brother and mother can tell you a bad story about an insurance company, who cares? That goes for any business and complete nonsense/hearsay ect ect ect. If this is ones life worry, they may want to figure out what they are doing wrong to worry about what insurance company they have... its like oil, its just marketing that puts this stuff in people head. Why to you think that green lizard is a household name?
To bad for him, for me, low price wins for me for decades and decades now.

Last edited:
Too many variables involved to ask others how much? Age, credit rating, vehicle(s) involved, coverages, driving records and location all play a role in one's premiums.
It varies tremendously by location/state also. We pay $900/year for one car for 2 drivers. Frankenmuth Insurance. I believe Michigan wih it's no fault insurance is one of the higher states. We also have an absurd amount of uninsured drivers. We learned the hard way to have substantial uninsured motorist coverage.

Loyalty is a two way street. We've been with Frankenmuth for about 6 years, but we shop around if we feel rates start jacking up for no reason.

Have a good weekend everyone. Happy Mothers Day!

Presently, we pay $1017/year for all the cars in my signature through Erie.
This is full coverage on everything, $500 D.
Following is breakdown yearly, per vehicle:
Pilot - $418.
Accord - $278.
Mustang - $121.
Ranger - $89.

For the fellas paying $1100 for 3 vehicles, is this for 6 months?

I'm paying ~$3600/yr for the 3 Nissans in my sig. This is for my wife, myself and 21yr/old daughter on my policy. I also have two boys with learner's permits, age 19,17. There's no way I'll be able to put the boys on my policy. Not only cost, but liability.
You are already paying for the two boys because they are living under your roof and are of driving age, regardless of whether or not they have driver's licenses or have them listed on your policy. If you put a 4th vehicle on your policy they will ding you even more severely.

You are already paying for the two boys because they are living under your roof and are of driving age, regardless of whether or not they have driver's licenses or have them listed on your policy. If you put a 4th vehicle on your policy they will ding you even more severely.
Well, maybe for you, but not here. I put my 2nd daughters - with her learners permit only - on the electronic form I filled out to update drivers and it changed nothing.

Well, maybe for you, but not here. I put my 2nd daughters - with her learners permit only - on the electronic form I filled out to update drivers and it changed nothing.
Two things make a big difference here... sons vs daughters, and having a third vehicle on the policy.

2 cars, maximum insurance (max out liability like 100k/300k, full coverage), 2 drivers, AAA, $1700 a year. The umbrella on top of that (like 1M) would probably cost $2k a year with other properties and my parents' auto insurance.

Cost to insure Husband and Wife per year as only registered drivers in home. What companies do you use? I have been with Allstate for all insurance since 1982. I know guys who shop and jump from on auto insurer almost every other year. I also know some who did that until they had a claim and the cheapo companies put them thru hell for a claim check. How much do you pay for full coverage on (2) vehicles every year?
I think mine is $950 for 6 months for two drivers and two vehicles both listed as pleasure driving with comp & collision. Geico. I think it's OK but not any huge bargain.

It varies tremendously by location/state also. We pay $900/year for one car for 2 drivers. Frankenmuth Insurance. I believe Michigan wih it's no fault insurance is one of the higher states. We also have an absurd amount of uninsured drivers. We learned the hard way to have substantial uninsured motorist coverage.

Loyalty is a two way street. We've been with Frankenmuth for about 6 years, but we shop around if we feel rates start jacking up for no reason.

Have a good weekend everyone. Happy Mothers Day!
Agree regarding uninsured motorists.. The BMV should make applicants for new license tags show their insurance card as proof of liability coverage. No actual proof, no new tag. . They only ask if you have insurance and many just lie saying they do..

Agree regarding uninsured motorists.. The BMV should make applicants for new license tags show their insurance card as proof of liability coverage. No actual proof, no new tag. . They only ask if you have insurance and many just lie saying they do..
This only works for people who want to obey the law and purchase insurance. Let me esplain, in Texas you are required to show proof of insurance when you get your annual vehicle inspection, and you are required to pass an inspection to get or renew your registration. What the scofflaws who don't want to pay for insurance do here is purchase an insurance policy that offers monthly payments, pay for one month, get their insurance ID card, get their vehicle inspected and registration renewed, then cancel the insurance. The people who do this are covered for one month.
There are a class of people living here who have an aversion to purchasing any kind of insurance. They don't buy homes so they don't have to have homeowner's insurance, they don't buy renter's insurance (they just run a GoFundMe when their apartment burns down), they don't pay for health insurance (they just clog-up the emergency rooms), they don't purchase life insurance (they just run another GoFundMe to cover the funeral expenses), and they purchase older vehicles for cash so they don't have to get a loan because the lenders all require insurance. When they get in a wreck that is their fault, they RUN! When they are involved in a wreck that is not their fault, they get a PI lawyer.

Last edited:
That would be nice if that was the case. The ~$300/mo I've been paying hasn't changed much since I put my daughter on my policy and added the 3rd vehicle in 2020. At the time the boys were 16 and 14.

Last edited:
State Farm in NJ, 2 drivers over 65, 3 vehicles, bundled with house, bikes, boat, snowmobiles. $1800 per year full coverage on everything with 100/250 to meet umbrella requirements. Clean licenses also.

Cost to insure Husband and Wife per year as only registered drivers in home. What companies do you use? ....How much do you pay for full coverage on (2) vehicles every year?
State Farm. Both drivers over 65. Have Umbrella policy with Home, Auto, and 1M liability. My newish ford is under $500 - per year my wife's new new Crosstrek is about $750/yr. Her's should come down when we call them and tell them that she will be:
a) No longer commuting to work
b) No longer driving out of state
c) No longer driving over 12k miles/ year

this gets us a big discount up here along with no tickets and no accidents.

$996 a year, full collision and comp on a 17 Traverse and comp only on a 2012 Mazda 3
$1000. deductible on both. Full glass coverage with no deductible on both.
$250,000/$500,000 liability on everything = insured, under insured and uninsured.

Im one to change insurance companies on any substantial increase, If I find a lower price I will cancel a policy even with many, many months left on it and switch. Heck I cancelled homeowners insurance one month after my bank paid the premium and switched.
Nothing to lose!
I had nothing but praise for years about esurrance.com but in another month it is due to go up to $1,132 a year. So I will start hunting again, low price always wins for me and it's super easy to do with the internet.

Everybody and his brother and mother can tell you a bad story about an insurance company, who cares? That goes for any business and complete nonsense/hearsay ect ect ect. If this is ones life worry, they may want to figure out what they are doing wrong to worry about what insurance company they have... its like oil, its just marketing that puts this stuff in people head. Why to you think that green lizard is a household name?
To bad for him, for me, low price wins for me for decades and decades now.
Im replying to myself so others can see my coverages and previous post), someone posted about Costco insurance and since my insurance is going up to $1,132 from under $1000 for the last couple years I just got a quote for under $1000 from Costco for the same coverages above.
So thanks to @Chris142

It's just insurance, like gasoline, a product, low price always wins and why my insurance costs are lower than anyone I know, home, boat, motorcycle, 2 cars. I NEVER bundle. I am ALWAYS able to find a better unbundled price having separate companies.

All that "safe driver" "bundle" discounts are all BS. There is always a lower price. Thanks Chris, also for others in here, esurance.com is another good source to check prices, they were good to me for a few years now. I can only assume their algorithm like every insurance company on earth, calculated I wouldnt switch after a price increase but I am not you typical consumer.
It's just insurance, I dont understand paying extra money to a company for being a loyal customer.

(I'm hoping the Costco price holds, I did put in my new address for the quote. I have to get my stuff register now in my new state which is very close to my old state *LOL*

Last edited:
Back