Cost of driving" Just Husband & Wife as only drivers. Insurance a year?

An insurance agent just informed me that now insurance companies are taking a look at those who switch companies yearly and that may be a negative. After all-if there is a way to "beat the system" it is usually not possible to do so once the affected parties (insurance companies) figure it out. And they have a central data base and they know....
Even if he was right which he is not since anyone can go online and find a better price and there are always companies competing for your business or they would not be in business. Part of being in business is getting other people business! It’s called competition!
It is true if you use an agent maybe he doesn’t want to bother with you, that is his choice.

Sounds like your agent is looking to protect his own business by discouraging you from looking at prices on your own.

I look at it as a positive that companies know I switch as MAYBE I’ll get the best no BS price or find a company who doesn’t play games with the rate because they know I’ll switch.
Furthermore a computer doesn’t care any more than your insurance score, the computer is programmed to get maximum business when online, Your dealing with a machine not an agent.

I switch insurance companies at the snap of a finger anytime of the year, anytime I find a better price. No different that when I buy gasoline I don’t go to the same station if a station down the road all of a sudden lowers his price. With insurance I’ll cancel a policy even if I have months paid for in advance.
I’ll sign up with the better price company old company will pro rate a refund for the unused months.

I used this method successfully for decades now on all vehicles and our home.
Boat, cars, motorcycle, house, life and I never ever have “bundled” policies with the same company, no matter what they tell me about discounts by bundling I ALWAYS find better prices online using all different companies.
I always “shop” online and never to almost never ever talk to a human to get a price

Last edited:
Costco Connect beats the snot out of anyone else, at least for me. And I insure waaaaay too many cars.
I switched to Costco Connect for auto insurance here in NC and still have the policy coverage previously posted in this thread. Last three years it was esurance and under $1000 a year. However since moving esurnace not issuing new policies in all states unless you're already a customer in that particular state. Its didnt matter anyway, they had a 15% hike after no hike for three years... premium went to $1130 a year for both cars so I was back on my computer hunting for better prices.

I got it back under $1000 a year with Costco Connect.

With that said, I just noticed Costco is no longer offering new insurance in CA just an FYI for you.
"California members: The Costco Insurance Agency is currently not offering new auto or home insurance policies in CA"

Screenshot 2023-07-12 at 10.20.50 AM.png

Last edited:
Even if he was right which he is not since anyone can go online and find a better price and there are always companies competing for your business or they would not be in business. Part of being in business is getting other people business! It’s called competition!
It is true if you use an agent maybe he doesn’t want to bother with you, that is his choice.

Sounds like your agent is looking to protect his own business by discouraging you from looking at prices on your own.

I look at it as a positive that companies know I switch as MAYBE I’ll get the best no BS price or find a company who doesn’t play games with the rate because they know I’ll switch.
Furthermore a computer doesn’t care any more than your insurance score, the computer is programmed to get maximum business when online, Your dealing with a machine not an agent.

I switch insurance companies at the snap of a finger anytime of the year, anytime I find a better price. No different that when I buy gasoline I don’t go to the same station if a station down the road all of a sudden lowers his price. With insurance I’ll cancel a policy even if I have months paid for in advance.
I’ll sign up with the better price company old company will pro rate a refund for the unused months.

I used this method successfully for decades now on all vehicles and our home.
Boat, cars, motorcycle, house, life and I never ever have “bundled” policies with the same company, no matter what they tell me about discounts by bundling I ALWAYS find better prices online using all different companies.
I always “shop” online and never to almost never ever talk to a human to get a price
MY insurance is much more involved than that. Auto, RV, Home owners, Umbrella, rental properties. It's painstaking to find like coverage. Loss of income on rentals, etc. My insurance agent did look for me-and I looked as well. I'm getting a great deal on my Auto Insurance-everything else is in the ballpark with most other companies.

MY insurance is much more involved than that. Auto, RV, Home owners, Umbrella, rental properties. It's painstaking to find like coverage. Loss of income on rentals, etc. My insurance agent did look for me-and I looked as well. I'm getting a great deal on my Auto Insurance-everything else is in the ballpark with most other companies.
The difference between us is your rental properties. I can see a hassle with the rental properties ... I am a partner on a mixed use commercial/residential building but being that is a partnership its not related to what I do in my personal life.
I can see the complications you have though and for me commercial insurance can be a PITA in addition to the cost.

I have to admit it's one policy I dont shop, we use State Farm for it and the tenants pay the premium. Being its mixed use, our lease makes the commercial tenants responsible to pay the policy.

Reactions: CKN
Back