Corrosion-X gelled

Yesterday I went to go use some Corrosion-X to lube a hedge trimmer and noticed that it wouldn't easily come out of the dropper bottle. I unscrewed the cap I saw that it had gelled up. It was almost like grape jelly that had sat out too long. Anyway, anyone else had this problem before? The bottle was probably 5 years old and was kept in my garage the whole time.
20220421_195829.jpg

I wonder if the bottle wasn't completely sealed? Having the product thicken up over time is a good thing I'd think (when open to air).

Last edited:
Just checked my 4 year old bottle of Corrosion X and it looks fine. Has yours been below freezing at any time? Their toll free number is 800-638-7361.
It doesn't get too cold here in South Georgia but it does dip below freezing several times a year. Thanks for the number.

I bought it from a hole in the wall fishing tackle store. There's no telling how long it sat there on the shelf before I bought it. I also failed to mention that smelled strongly. It had the normal type Corrosion-X smell, but imagine it multiplied by about three times.

Reactions: JTK
Look for a date of manufacturer on the container or some type of code.
Then call the manufacturer and ask.

I once had an aerosol-can of silicone spray.
It was about 20 years old.
When I sprayed it, it came out like water.

Back