Castrol GTX or HM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a friend with a Toyota Tacoma like mine, only 2 years younger and 17K more miles (168K total) 2.4ltr 4 banger that uses no oil and runs great. He is at the end of his Mobil 1 stash (I DO wear off on folks
grin.gif
) and wanted to know which he should use. He can get the 5qt jug of GTX for about $11 at WallyWorld and the HM for about $2 more. I say the GTX and do analysis around 3K for insight on extended use. Any other thoughts? Would the $2 premium be worth it for the HM? He seems rather set on the Castrol products even though I've told him about Havoline and MC.

If he was willing to spend the money, it would be nice to see back to back runs of GTX and Castrol HM to see how they both do. But if choosing just one i would go with regular GTX as the engine has no problems so far. Maybe once it gets real high mileage, like 300K, then switch over to the HM formula for the next 200,000 miles. Once at 500K miles, call Toyota and discuss their buying the vehicle back from him.
wink.gif

I personally think he should use Rotella T Synthetic 5w-40. It is a great oil and good year round. I use it is both my Volvo's and one has 362k and the other has 132k miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back