Oil recommendations for dad's truck, severe duty?

Looking for the best oil for my dad's truck and his use case. His use case definitely qualifies as "severe duty."

I've been servicing it since his free toyotacare oil changes ran out. I've been using either SuperTech High Mileage 0w20 or Pennzoil black label 0w20 depending which of the two is cheaper at the time.

It's a 2019 Toyota Tacoma TRD OffRoad. It's got 77K miles currently, it's driven about 100 miles round trip M-F up and down a grade that varies between 11-14% (one of very few places there's also NO FINE for using a runaway truck ramp!) and at work he uses it occasionally to pull trailers or get tractors unstuck and whatnot.

This truck gets ran HARD, he's gone through 2 or 3 sets of rear shocks already.. I want to give the engine the best protection possible because I'm pretty sure he loves his truck more than he does me :ROFLMAO:

Just curious, with how hard his truck is ran, and for it having high miles being a 2019, would there be any benefit subbing 1 quart of HPL EC for one quart of oil on his next oil change or would it be too risky?

Would stepping to a 0w30/40 or 5w30 have any impact on his fuel mileage?

Also to be fair he has a 6" lift on 35s, he gets maybe 12mpg downhill on a windy day, and his work pays for most of his fuel expenses so he doesn't really care anyway.

I just don't want to accelerate the wear on this engine any more than it probably already is.

Also to be fair he has a 6" lift on 35s, he gets maybe 12mpg downhill on a windy day, and his work pays for most of his fuel expenses so he doesn't really care anyway.

I just don't want to accelerate the wear on this engine any more than it probably already is.
In a laboratory setting? Yes. In the real world? No.

In a laboratory setting? Yes. In the real world? No.
Good enough for me. I'll ask him if he's comfortable with me stepping up to 0w40 on his next oil change (he's a pretty "by the book" guy when it comes to maintenance) but if he agrees I'll do it and run a UOA afterwards and see how it compares to the one I had done a long while back:

Good enough for me. I'll ask him if he's comfortable with me stepping up to 0w40 on his next oil change (he's a pretty "by the book" guy when it comes to maintenance) but if he agrees I'll do it and run a UOA afterwards and see how it compares to the one I had done a long while back:
The difference between 0w20 and 0w30 or 0w40 at operating temp is much, much smaller than the difference between cold 0w20 and warm 0w20.

I personally run 0w30 in my Tacoma.

The difference between 0w20 and 0w30 or 0w40 at operating temp is much, much smaller than the difference between cold 0w20 and warm 0w20.

I personally run 0w30 in my Tacoma.
I just talked to him, and surprisingly, he's open to trying a heavier oil weight. The current plan is after this OCI, step up to 0w40 then do a UOA after that, and depending how that looks, possibly trying 5w30, because I already have enough of that in my personal stockpile it would mean me not having to go out of my way to get other oil just to service his truck.

I just talked to him, and surprisingly, he's open to trying a heavier oil weight. The current plan is after this OCI, step up to 0w40 then do a UOA after that, and depending how that looks, possibly trying 5w30, because I already have enough of that in my personal stockpile it would mean me not having to go out of my way to get other oil just to service his truck.

Just ordered a 6 quart case of their 0w40, to have on hand for his next oil change, which with how much he drives, will surely be within the next month. Thanks

Your dads engine actually has it easier than a truck that just gets short tripped around town. He should be able to get a pretty long OCI of that 0w40.

What fluids are you running in the rest of the drivetrain?

You can run all the way up to 15w-40. Depending on your climate I recommend 0w or 5w-40. I personally run 5w-40 in my Tacoma.

Attachments

• IMG_1337.jpeg
    IMG_1337.jpeg
    91.4 KB · Views: 56

I think the wheels/tires and driving conditions in this case will make such a difference that oil will be a completely negligible difference in fuel mileage.
I would definitely be using 0w30 or 5w30 of some kind. Probably a euro oil of some kind, whatever can be purchased on sale regularly. I use 0w40 in my 5w30 spec truck with high mileage, but I would probably go 0w30 in a 0w20 spec vehicle.

Your dads engine actually has it easier than a truck that just gets short tripped around town. He should be able to get a pretty long OCI of that 0w40.

What fluids are you running in the rest of the drivetrain?
I haven't touched the differentials, transfer case or transmission. He got those done recently at the dealership himself.

Back