Oil recommendations for dad's truck, severe duty?

Folks we really should be following what the owners manual states what's the recommend oil viscosity ok 😎😎🤣

Good enough for me. I'll ask him if he's comfortable with me stepping up to 0w40 on his next oil change (he's a pretty "by the book" guy when it comes to maintenance) but if he agrees I'll do it and run a UOA afterwards and see how it compares to the one I had done a long while back:
Even an 0w30 Mobil-1 would offer better performance and wear protection. I'd hit Dad with a less drastic change to 0w30 first. Then maybe a couple OCIs later, buy Dad some 0w40 Mobil-1 for his birthday or Christmas.

Parts of Idaho can get pretty cold in the winter. Maybe use the 30 in the winter and 40 in the summer.

Straight from my 2019 Tacoma service manual:

IMG_2563.jpeg

It is completely acceptable to run heavier oil than 0w-20 in the 2gr-fks.

Just got my 6qt case of HPL 0w40 delivered today. When dad's next oil change is due I will be using that, plus the PIAA Z14-M oil filter and running both for roughly 10,000 miles then sending a sample to Blackstone to see how it compares to this UOA from awhile back.

This will definitely be interesting.
You may need to change the oil filter after only 5k. There's no other motor oil (that I'm aware of) that cleans the engine better than HPL.

Back