Will frequent oil changes compensate for bad oil?

RedDeadAssassin

I use Wolfs Head Oil (0W20 FS) for both of my Hondas (‘10CRV & ,13SI), my oil change intervals are pretty much 3k/mi or every three months on the dot. The only reason I use it cause my dad always used it but I’ve come to realize it’s cause the parts store around here ran a pretty killer deal from what I understand. I’ve read the posts ab it being a reputable brand back in the day and it may not be under Amalie. My current cost is ab $50 each filter included (WIX). Would it better off using a brand name oil company and going at the recommended intervals (7k-10k/mi) or is the saying “oil is oil” legit and as long as I keep to my habits I’m good?

No.

And for the second question that is a topic beat to death on this site. Owner's manual recommendations are highly regulated due to fuel economy regulations. The automaker cannot recommend any grade that was not used to obtain mandated economy figures. In fact they must actively discourage it.
With that said, I wouldn’t imply that the OEM’s viscosity recommendation for a given market was not subjected to the usual battery of durability testing.

So both of my cars call for 0w20. A previous comment mentioned on how I should consider using 5w30. The car will run on it undoubtedly but will it run worse? Why should this be a consideration, why wouldn’t the Honda recommend that off the rip?
Very rare that you will find a poor known name branded oil in that grade. Modern spec for modern engines. The manufacturer has called on that spec as it feels it best suites that engine design, economy etc. You user manual will make allowances to use different grades to compensate due to colder weather etc. If you are racing it, drags, burn out comps, running alcohol based fuels then it's a different story. Remember the motor oil market is extremely competitive, that's why we get it in colourful bottles and billboard style labels instead of at the bowser. Remember store brand or smaller no names are 9 times out of 10 made by one of the larger oil blenders. Quite expensive to make a proper engine oil.

My mechanic/buddy uses it for his shop. I had some work done at his shop and he gave me a free oil change because dark colored oil annoys him lol. Any ways he put wolfshead 10 30 in my Cadilla with a Northstar. Took it on a 1k road trip and ran it 4.5 k miles. Car ran really good on it. I would definetly use it again.

I use Wolfs Head Oil (0W20 FS) for both of my Hondas (‘10CRV & ,13SI), my oil change intervals are pretty much 3k/mi or every three months on the dot. The only reason I use it cause my dad always used it but I’ve come to realize it’s cause the parts store around here ran a pretty killer deal from what I understand. I’ve read the posts ab it being a reputable brand back in the day and it may not be under Amalie. My current cost is ab $50 each filter included (WIX). Would it better off using a brand name oil company and going at the recommended intervals (7k-10k/mi) or is the saying “oil is oil” legit and as long as I keep to my habits I’m good?
The oil is fine. The 3K OCI is a waste of time and money, as those engines both are well able to go 5-7k or longer with the oil still coming out with good viscosity numbers. I am a little concerned about the $50 cost. If you are changing the oil and filter yourself, you should easily be able to get five quarts of oil for under $23. (I am thinking of the excellent Quaker State 0W20 full synthetic, and a filter for under $10 and maybe even under $5. Maybe a buck for an oil plug washer. If the labor is free, you should easily be under $30.

Your Honda can run on 3k-5k oil changes just fine. Wolfhead is fine oil and run it with confidence. There are folks that say run it longer, which is fine for them but I have no problems running it 3-5k miles. 0/5w20 is for CAFE requirements but you can use 5w30 or 0/5w40 easily, up to you. I run 0/5w40 in my 05 Honda and 04 Expedition just fine and both call for 5w20, run what makes you comfortable.

There really isn't any such thing as "bad" oil. As long as it meets the requirement/spec of your vehicle then it is good.

As everyone is saying, you can probably get away with a longer service duration, but you do no harm whatsoever by changing it a little bit earlier than needed. If it makes you feel better then by all means keep doing it...way better than not doing it often enough.

Back