Castrol Edge 0W30 has BMW LL01 again!

LL-01 is kind of a benchmark with Euro oils. It was what drove the oil manufacturers to meet BMW's (much) longer OCI requirements at the time. Basically if it meets this, you can pretty much be assured its good stuff. Same with LL-04, which is just a lower SAPS version. Might be "better" specs per se, but for one that is good all around, LL-01 still fits the bill.

Thank you for the responce, my point is there are oils that can be used in place of LL01 and have better specs, no?
Also, Lubrizol relative perf tool is sometimes deceiving as some specs'd oils don't go thru particular tests thus may get zero score out of 10 while if tested may have had say 4-7 score.

Thank you for the responce, my point is there are oils that can be used in place of LL01 and have better specs, no?
Also, Lubrizol relative perf tool is sometimes deceiving as some specs'd oils don't go thru particular tests thus may get zero score out of 10 while if tested may have had say 4-7 score.
How would you know?

Plus the relative performance tool isn't applicable to different approvals and so forth. For one thing it isn't absolute and is only relative to areas of emphasis.

I'm going to assume when you say "better specs" that you mean "better performance".

The truth is that you as the consumer in most cases will never know for certain because you'll never have access to the actual test data which would allow you to determine which products in what areas exceeded the minimum performance requirements of the applicable cert. Remember the purpose behind oil certs it to give the customer confidence that the oil meets the minimum performance requirements deemed important by the automaker. Some oil companies sell products which exceed those requirements in one or more areas. That's were advertising comes in.

Now what many people do is look for an oil which meets multiple certs under the assumption that more is better.

As for the Lubrizol tool there's nothing deceiving about as the tests themselves are dictated by the automakers, ACEA, and API. Besides as I said earlier the automakers routinely update their certs rather than creating new certs. There's enough confusion as it is because so many new certs have been created to categorize ever thinner oils. Remember oil certs are primarily categorized according to HTHS, and emissions compliance. "Performance" is governed by the revision date of the cert unless the cert has been retired (ex, BMW LL98 was retired)

Last edited:

My understanding is that the open secret (and the owner of this site admits to) is that it doesn't matter what oil you use, so long as it is in spec and you're consistent.

What are you trying to accomplish and how much do you want to pay?

Sure, for a price, I'm certain you can get oils that meet "better" (subjective) specs relative to LL-01 (*cough*cough* HPL :)). But when you have an oil that meets LL-01, and you can just look at the label and see the cert (which is pretty high achievement, and thus makes it still relavent), knowing it will meet the needs of 99% of the Euro cars out there (and lots more), why bother? Guess that drives my first question.

Short answer : Science

Long answer : I wanted to do a before/after using HPL. UOA's along with photos of filter media, blah blah blah. Both LL01 and LL04 are acceptable for the N55. . Being that I live in the SE US I am not worried about not getting ULSG and my OCI will be based on time (1 year) rather than miles due to working from home. I also prefer to run 5w30 due to the driving profile.

I don't know if I'll stick with it because it was a huge pain to find a shop who would let me bring my own oil and the shop I did find not only threw away the filter but they didn't take a sample so my experiment was torpedoed before it even left port. I'll probably just go back to dealer LL01FE with their $120 oil specials.

For the moment the car is benched and on a battery tender because we now have 2 cars.
what is the driving profile for someone who runs 5w30?

All of which doesn't make sense to me. It's really the HT/HS that matters, and within the same approval that's going to be minimally different even with a different grade. Is that truly small difference actually relevant? I can't see how it would be.
There is a measurable difference in parasitic drag on the oil pump. In any case the HTHS of the HPL Euro 5w40 was 4.02cp vs 3.59cp.

Last edited:
All of which doesn't make sense to me. It's really the HT/HS that matters, and within the same approval that's going to be minimally different even with a different grade. Is that truly small difference actually relevant? I can't see how it would be.
so , you are saying that it doesn't matter if its LL01 or LL04 ,what matters is to have HTHS minimal 3.5..and that if its 3.7 or 3.8 like some w40 do then the parasitic pump ability is minimal , its small difference and won't create a problem. that the less drag from HIGHER is not noticeable.

Back