Castrol Edge 0W30 has BMW LL01 again!

Thanks for the responses. I knew that the spec trumps the grade, but the SL rating had me wondering. Thanks again!
That is because API SM and later have lower limits on phosphorus in this grade. Since this is oil that is designed for different applications, phosphorus levels are higher and therefore can only fall into SL rating.

Last edited:
Considering a new X5 with the 6-cylinder engine. Does the SL rating of this oil cause any concern?
Technically the B58 can use LL01/LL04 as well as their FE variants (ex LL01FE) all the way down to the LL17FE 0w20. I'm not familiar with the design of the PCV system of this engine but I would hedge towards LL04 rather than LL01. LL04 example - Pennzoil Euro L 5w30.

I'm using LL04 in my older TGDI BMW I6 (N55).

I mentioned this in 0W40 section, but this oil deserves its on thread.
It seems that all time favorite among Euro enthusiasts has LL01 again, and even better, pour point of -60 indicates high % of PAO.

View attachment 133901

Not sure if this one is the corresponding SDS which indicated 25~50 % PAO?

1672971630360.jpg

1672971693621.jpg

Attachments

• 1672971483946.jpg
    1672971483946.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 20
Technically the B58 can use LL01/LL04 as well as their FE variants (ex LL01FE) all the way down to the LL17FE 0w20. I'm not familiar with the design of the PCV system of this engine but I would hedge towards LL04 rather than LL01. LL04 example - Pennzoil Euro L 5w30.

Why LL04 vs 01 in N55?

Why LL04 vs 01 in N55?
Short answer : Science

Long answer : I wanted to do a before/after using HPL. UOA's along with photos of filter media, blah blah blah. Both LL01 and LL04 are acceptable for the N55. . Being that I live in the SE US I am not worried about not getting ULSG and my OCI will be based on time (1 year) rather than miles due to working from home. I also prefer to run 5w30 due to the driving profile.

I don't know if I'll stick with it because it was a huge pain to find a shop who would let me bring my own oil and the shop I did find not only threw away the filter but they didn't take a sample so my experiment was torpedoed before it even left port. I'll probably just go back to dealer LL01FE with their $120 oil specials.

For the moment the car is benched and on a battery tender because we now have 2 cars.

Last edited:

That was/is my line of thinking.

Have Pennzoil 5w-40 Euro (LL-01) in the sump of my 340i/B58 right now, but will move to Motul 5w-30 XClean+ (VW504/LL-04) in April.
Lower SAPS is probably better for the Bx8 series, for valve deposits possibly.

Great news Castrol 0w-30 is back on the horse with LL-01 though!

Short answer : Science

Long answer : I wanted to do a before/after using HPL. UOA's along with photos of filter media, blah blah blah. Both LL01 and LL04 are acceptable for the N55. . Being that I live in the SE US I am not worried about not getting ULSG and my OCI will be based on time (1 year) rather than miles due to working from home. I also prefer to run 5w30 due to the driving profile.

I don't know if I'll stick with it because it was a huge pain to find a shop who would let me bring my own oil and the shop I did find not only threw away the filter but they didn't take a sample so my experiment was torpedoed before it even left port. I'll probably just go back to dealer LL01FE with their $120 oil specials.

For the moment the car is benched and on a battery tender because we now have 2 cars.

Are you worried about IVD? No N55 shipped with an OPF, so I don't see a lot of reason for LL04.

I guess I am not convinced that low SAPS will materially affect IVD in engines like N55.

Back