Castrol Edge 0W30 has BMW LL01 again!

so , you are saying that it doesn't matter if its LL01 or LL04 ,what matters is to have HTHS minimal 3.5..and that if its 3.7 or 3.8 like some w40 do then the parasitic pump ability is minimal , its small difference and won't create a problem. that the less drag from HIGHER is not noticeable.
You might feel it when turbo spools. You will feel bit of drag compared to lower HTHS.

yeah it is , but motul's distribution and customer care and sales department is the worst even here in Europe ,although its a European brand.
they announced it November '22 and the might bring it on sales next year.
thats what they did with motul x-clean 5-40 gen 2..xcess gen2 its difficult to find in some countries.

they might wait for stock to sell or the most obvious answer i have each time i call them for a new product which is late coming ,is that no one is asking for it. but how someone will ask for it if you don't put it on the shelf ,its not that everybody surfs on the internet all the time like we do!

yeah it is , but motul's distribution and customer care and sales department is the worst even here in Europe ,although its a European brand.
they announced it November '22 and the might bring it on sales next year.
thats what they did with motul x-clean 5-40 gen 2..xcess gen2 its difficult to find in some countries.

they might wait for stock to sell or the most obvious answer i have each time i call them for a new product which is late coming ,is that no one is asking for it. but how someone will ask for it if you don't put it on the shelf ,its not that everybody surfs on the internet all the time like we do!
Does BMW still sells TPT 5W30 LL01? If it does, it is excellent oil.

That is US market. It is Castrol.
Europe is Shell made, and it is a better product.
on paper as toy say maybe, but my friend is not satisfied as much as we both were from the older bmw-castrol. that is weird because the shell 5-30, if its the same oil , has very good reviews and is value for money here.

That is US market. It is Castrol.
Europe is Shell made, and it is a better product.
Yes it might be a US only part. Better based on what, though? It’s still about 12 cSt for 3.5 HTHS and has an old A3/B4 additive package. The old Shell TPT add pack looks almost identical.

Here is a 5W-30 LL01 sold by Schmiedmann, but it’s labeled for Mini. 83-21-0-390-323 .

Yes it might be a US only part. Better based on what, though? It’s still about 12 cSt for 3.5 HTHS and has an old A3/B4 additive package. The old Shell TPT add pack looks almost identical.

Here is a 5W-30 LL01 sold by Schmiedmann, but it’s labeled for Mini. 83-21-0-390-323 .
There is in depth test of that oil. Noack 6.8%, HTHS above 3.6.
Castrol is supplier to North America since 02/21. Rest of tge world is still Shell and it is specific oil to BMW.

There is in depth test of that oil. Noack 6.8%, HTHS above 3.6.
Castrol is supplier to North America since 02/21. Rest of tge world is still Shell and it is specific oil to BMW.
I see. This is assuming it hasn't been reformulated by Shell either though. I can't find a VOA of it that is even close to recent.

a TPT bmw 5-30 ll01 or ll04 could this be different in formulation for US market than Europe ? or the formula is one/global?
Different. I thought it would be the same but I didn’t realize the Castrol agreement covers North America only. Shell was the NA supplier from 2015 through early 2021 and it is possible the older formulations from this period were the same. Anything in a Castrol shaped bottle in NA is a NA specific formulation most likely.

However… all these oils need to meet spec BMW’s specs. If you’re not tracking the car or it’s not for an engine with known issues I wouldn’t think too hard.

Back