VOA Castrol EDGE HM 5W30 D1G3

[QUOTE="I We have things called standardized tests for a reason...
[/QUOTE]
This does keep testing methods consistent & repeatable.

The Lake Speed video about high mileage oils got me wondering if they would clean an engine better than regular oils due to the esters used as 'seal swellers'? I ask because most non solvent based engine cleaners use esters.

Apparently there are different types of esters. I'm not claiming to know enough about it though, but Speediagnostix recently posted a high mileage video where he talks about this.

and

Here he shows graphs of the Pennzoil Platinum, High Mileage, and Ultra Platinum oils, including two different ester spikes. At the 6:10 mark of this video, he talks about this. He says the ester used for seal conditioning in the high mileage oil is different than the ester used in Ultra Platinum. He conjectures the ester in PUP is a Borate Ester.

My reaction after watching the videos...

1693277458234.jpg

This is the newest iteration that is marked Dexos1 Gen3. According to their PDS:
the viscosity should be 11.3. This sample weighed in at 10.5. Overall a pretty decent looking additive package, typical 6.5ish TBN and oxidation of 6. According to Lake Speed, a bump in oxidation in high mileage oils indicates presence of esters as additional seal conditioners. I don't know what the oxidation value of the non-HM version of this oil is, though.
View attachment 170733
Nice report. I appreciate all your VOA’s. Thank You 👍🇺🇸🍻

Back