Camry 3.5L V6 Option worth $2500?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I won't buy another 4cylinder again. I need more power, but that is just me. I like it. For for myself, yes it's worth it. I'd be willing to pay for it.

Quote:

I won't buy another 4cylinder again. I need more power, but that is just me. I like it. For for myself, yes it's worth it. I'd be willing to pay for it.

Let's see: the Accord 4 with automatic does 60 in 8.1 seconds, 85 in the quarter mile, and has to have an electronic governor that cuts in at 130 mph, and that is really not enough for you?

The 4 cylinder Camry with the manual tranny is fine. I wouldn't consider an auto-tragic.

I'd get the SE with the tighter suspension and after I broke it in would thrash with joyous abandon at every opportunity.

Quote:

you should visit gen7accord.com, i dynoed almost 20 HP, 20 ft-lbs more from $600 in bolt ons.

Heck for that type of money you have done a bang up job on a multi-stage NO2 system and got much more then 20HP and 20Tq.You could also have gotton a used turbo and a turbo controler and manifold adaptor.$600 bucks in bolts for 20HP/20lbs.Ft is a poor return on your investment. You would be amazed at how much more power youc an make even at low boost levels.

Those numbers are at the wheels, through an automatic transmission. At the crank it would be ~25 HP/25 ft-lbs when you consider automatic drivetrain losses. Put another way, this setup makes just as much power at the wheels as the 200 HP auto TSX, which uses the same auto tranny.

Unlike nitrous, the benefit is there all the time and it doesn't cost me $10 in nitrous each time i use it. Plus this setup is smog legal.

A good nitrous setup costs more than $600. It's best to get a window switch (prevent tranny/engine damage), remote opener (don't need to go to trunk to turn off/on bottle), bottle heater (maintain performance consistency) and a purge. Even with nitrous, you're better off with all the basic bolt ons first anyway, good luck trying to get another 50 WHP out of the stock convoluted exhaust manifold.

You must have no idea how much a complete turbo kit cost. Much more than $600. Even used ones. A semi decent turbo manifold alone costs $400-500. Don't even mention the turbo itself, which starts at around $1k.

Quote:

you had a dodge ram with the hemi but you didn't like the gas mileage.
tongue.gif

Quote:

On the new Camry, the 3.5L, 268HP V6 option is $2500 more than the base 2.4L, 158HP I4. The fuel economy penalty is about 10-15% for both city and highway driving.

Transmission concerns aside (as both the 5-speed and 6-speed autos seem to be of questionable durability), do you folks think the V6 option is worth it/needed in this 3500 lb vehicle? On paper, it just seems 158HP is inadequate for such a large vehicle, though 75% (or so) of all Camrys sold annually are of the 4-cyl?

Please comment...

I think that the four cylinder engine is a better option for four reasons.

1. You will be helping lower the United States' dependence on foreign oil.

2. The better fuel economy will lower demand for oil, leading to lower gasoline prices.

3. It is cheaper.

4. Car values depreciate so you will lose less money to depreciation as a consequence of spending less money.

Relative of mine has an -02 I4 automatic Camry, which I have driven. I must say in regular and spirited driving the four is perfectly adequate.

With a boatload of passengers, however, that could be a different story.

Pick your engine based on your needs.

Impala gives you the V-6 standard and the LS is well under $20K with available discounts, rebates and GM points, plus you get that great Buy American feeling.

The Impala would be a good value. It would not have the Camry's resale value, but if one were going to keep the car for a number of years, that wouldn't really matter.
Real world fuel economy should be close, as should NVH, room, and handling.

Quote:

Impala gives you the V-6 standard and the LS is well under $20K with available discounts, rebates and GM points, plus you get that great Buy American feeling.

pat2.gif

You mean that angry feeling I get every time I have to do a non-maintenance item on the Saturn?

Quote:

The Impala would be a good value. It would not have the Camry's resale value, but if one were going to keep the car for a number of years, that wouldn't really matter.
Real world fuel economy should be close, as should NVH, room, and handling.

The 08 Malibu with the 3.6L VVT V6/6-speed Auto combo is the only domestic I'd consider at this point.

A resounding yes if you enjoy a nice powerful smooth engine or even the mere thought of it. If you don't they make the adequate/economical but relatively weaker I4.

I don't enjoy adequate powered cars so the answer for me is yes.

I'm going to respond to this, Critic, since you quoted me.
First, sorry about your Saturn, but that's not what we're talking about here.
Sometimes, you have to open up your mind and think outside of the oragami box.
Had I not done so, we would never have bought our Aero, which has proven to be an exellent vehicle. We might have bought a '97 Ody instead, a much smaller vehicle, for which we would have paid about four grand more. Doing the math, I figured that we could afford to accept a bit shorter life and a bit higher fuel consumption in return for a much lower capital cost. Depreciation was not a consideration, since we would keep the vehicle 10-12 years and 150K anyway.
My point is that you should liberate your mind. Consider all alternatives. A US nameplate does not equal junk.

Quote:

The Impala would be a good value.

One of my friends has a 2003 Impala. She loves it. She bought it used last year with something like 20K miles on it for $12,000. It's a pretty roomy and comfortable car. The newer Impalas used a revised version of the W-body, same as the newer (2005+ ?) Pontiac Grand Prix. I'm not sure what the changes are but I drove a 2005 Pontiac Grand Prix and it handles well. I know what the stereotypes about GM suspensions are and they do not apply to the Grand Prix at all.

Consider this fuel economy question, however. Will you actually, in the conditions you drive, get lower fuel economy with the V6? For example- if you fill the car with people and luggage in the trunk, it's quite possible the I4 engine will be operating outside of it's optimal fuel economy, while the V6 will still be operating economically.

Example- I have a Ford Contour and a Dodge spirit. The Contour has the 2.5 L V6, the Spirit the 3.0 L V6. The Spirit easily gets 2-3 MPG better in the same conditions, with a 20% larger engine. But that engine's power range is at lower RPMs than the Ford's, so it spends most of it's time consuming less fuel.

I have no real proof of this, but my intuition says go for the V6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back