Camry 3.5L V6 Option worth $2500?

Status
Not open for further replies.
smirk.gif
Duh, It's the Toyota.
grin.gif

Well, no. The joy of driving is a seamless integration of smoothness, momentum, planning, and conserving the machinery. The joy of driving depends upon what's available under the right foot only for those with other deficiencies.
There is no doubt that big power can go a long way in making up for a driving skill deficit.

Quote:

I dunno. I had a Ford Contour V6. EPA rated at 31MPG highway.

Now I have a Saab 93 2.0T. EPA rated at 31MPG highway.

Guess what? I'm getting the SAME fuel economy from the Saab that I was from the Contour.

I guess maybe these EPA ratings are based in science.

Whereas I have my doubts about the claims made above.

The fact that someone cannot beat the EPA fuel economy rating of their car tells me much more about their driving and maintenance habits than it does about the car itself...

What really annoyed my about the Contour was that the ATX got better mileage than the MTX because of a taller top gear...

Anyway, the government test are very specific, and not entirely related to driving style. I found this from a google search:

http://abcnews.go.com/2020/Autos/story?id=1274541

All the MPG ratings can be used for is comparing one car to another of the same year level.

(And, another example of Consumer Reports missing the forest for the trees.)

I think I have the best compromise: get the Camry Hybrid. Net output is 192HP, which is more than what the last generation 1MZ-FE engine puts out. Fuel economy is great too...upper 20s in-town and upper 30s on the highway...many people are averaging low to mid 30s under mixed driving.

For the price of a Camry Hybrid, you could buy something a whole lot more interesting. The Japanese Taurus just ain't worth that kind of coin.

Also people who just don't want anyone to pass them. They speed up when you try to pass them, then slow right back down when you give up.

These are the ones who need a powerful engine, to maintain their position as the lead pace car in the left lane.

Amen. Maybe those of us who like to drive should start a whispering campaign concerning the higher powered ordinary cars available. Did you know that the Camry V-6 causes impotence?
Also, remeber, my Accords have three pedals and five speeds. At speed, a strong automatic is easily passed.

Quote:

All the MPG ratings can be used for is comparing one car to another of the same year level.

As far as I'm aware the only change in the EPA's test protocol/calculation took place in the mid-80s.

So anything from about 1986 to current should still be a valid comparison.

Quote:

Also, remeber, my Accords have three pedals and five speeds. At speed, a strong automatic is easily passed.

There's also the element of surprise. If you can catch them off-guard you can get around them before they know what happened.

Quote:

I think I have the best compromise: get the Camry Hybrid. Net output is 192HP, which is more than what the last generation 1MZ-FE engine puts out. Fuel economy is great too...upper 20s in-town and upper 30s on the highway...many people are averaging low to mid 30s under mixed driving.

I get that in my saab 9-3... and despite what CR says, I have had zero problems... Plus I only paid $23k when new. 175 hp and a table top flat torque curve - 195 lb-ft from fast idle up. Just like an electric traction motor
smile.gif

JMH

Last edited:
Quote:

Would the extra money not be better spent on something less perishable like someone's (a child's or grandchild's) education, certificates of deposit or home improvements?

No. You're on your own little guy, daddy's got a brand new riiiiiiide!

Quote:

I really do not understand why people need so much horsepower.

Evidently

Quote:

I have seen old men in vehicles with far less horse power passing me on the road and I do not care the slightly bit.

I demand to see ID from anyone who passes me, and if they were born before 1965, I floor it! Eat my dust Grandpa!

Quote:

Why do people need sensory input from their cars in the form of noise or increased acceleration?

Why do dogs... oh nevermind.

Quote:

Do people here go to tracks to race their cars?

Yes. I do.

More like my mom has a brand new ride that she might let me touch once in a while.

Problem JMH, is that your Saab would be 25k-ish if it was an Auto...so the price difference is really insignificant...eh?

Quote:

For the price of a Camry Hybrid, you could buy something a whole lot more interesting. The Japanese Taurus just ain't worth that kind of coin.

That's true, I could buy a TSX for that amount of money. At the same time, if it wasn't for the fuel saving argument of the hybrid, there wouldn't be an excuse to spend that much $$ anyway, though I must admit that the Camry Hybrid has one bulletproof engine/transmission that the 4 and 6-cyl versions don't have.

The 3.5L V-6 is a much more refined engine and makes this a better road car for long trips.

If I was using this vehicle mainly for a short stop 'n go commute, then the fuel efficient, four cylinder would be my choice and I'd simply crank up the stereo to drown out the humming of the four cylinder on the highway.

A few technical considerations....

I believe the four banger has chain driven cams - the V-6 still uses a belt that will have to be changed several times over the life of the motor. The four cylinder is also going to have more room under the hood and be much easier to service....

TD

Quote:

Well, no. The joy of driving is a seamless integration of smoothness, momentum, planning, and conserving the machinery. The joy of driving depends upon what's available under the right foot only for those with other deficiencies.
There is no doubt that big power can go a long way in making up for a driving skill deficit.

+1 great post. IMO, that is the reason why a 186 HP 3-series BMW can outperform and outtest and outsell and be more enjoyable than a much more 'capable', powerful, and even better handling car.

JMH

Quote:

hybrids have batteries. batteries die every few years and are heavy. IDK

In CA and several other states that operate under CA emission laws, any AT-PZEV rated vehicle has a 15-yr/150k mi warranty on all emission related parts, and 10-yr/150k mi warranty on the battery pack. There've been numerous Prius owners who have > 200k miles on their cars with no battery issues.

Quote:

I believe the four banger has chain driven cams - the V-6 still uses a belt that will have to be changed several times over the life of the motor. The four cylinder is also going to have more room under the hood and be much easier to service....

The new 3.5L V6 is now chain driven, a first for Toyota along with their 4.0L V6. Yep, the Toyota 3.5L is now extremely tight under the hood, so performing any repairs will be difficult.
frown.gif
The oil filter is located underneath the car in a cartridge form, so access will be easy.

Quote:

A few technical considerations....

TD

The GR series V6 is chain driven

I didnt read all of the posts, so it may have been already mentioned.

Check out the newest edition of "Car and Driver" magazine. There is a comparo on midsize family sedans. The Camry LE 4cyl AT was tested against the usual suspects plus comp from the Koreans.

I'm sure you can find the article on their website.

How about the SE 4 cyl?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back