Tacoma Access Cab?

Showed the wife a 2009 and she didn't seem against it... so maybe it's in the running? I can't believe it's only 50% of new but those are the times we are in.

Would a 2wd I4 Access Cab make for a decent all around vehicle? I need something a bit more capable than a Corolla, but finding station wagons is a bit hard these days it seems (I want something w/o alloys, sunroof, AWD sounds great until it needs repairs, etc). I liked my Tundra but it was a bit oversized for my needs, but kinda wish I'd kept it now... I don't mind my Corolla for commuting back and forth to work, but it pretty much falls flat for anything else, heck just moving snow tires with it seemed to max it out (only 2 would fit in the trunk). Think I settled for too little vehicle now.

I'd be shopping 2nd gen, not 3rd gen, as they got bigger and less mpg. I stick to pavement and while 4WD would be great to have, not worth paying for. Not sure how much the family would drive it, RWD in winter? methinks none--so if I commute in it, at 120 miles roundtrip all the mpg's would be nice to have. I'd like to have the cargo capacity of my CRV (or more), and the ability to hook up a trailer. No need for four doors, but for commuting the rear suicide door would be nice (toss my laptop bag back there).

Still looking around at my options, if a 4th gen Camry popped up that wasn't rusted out I might just opt for that instead...

My all around vehicle opinion would usually be a truck. As long as you have no intentions of pulling no more than a lawn mower trailer or a pop-up rv then the four cylinders should work. It's a Toyota so get your wallet ready.

Showed the wife a 2009 and she didn't seem against it... so maybe it's in the running? I can't believe it's only 50% of new but those are the times we are in.

Would a 2wd I4 Access Cab make for a decent all around vehicle? I need something a bit more capable than a Corolla, but finding station wagons is a bit hard these days it seems (I want something w/o alloys, sunroof, AWD sounds great until it needs repairs, etc). I liked my Tundra but it was a bit oversized for my needs, but kinda wish I'd kept it now... I don't mind my Corolla for commuting back and forth to work, but it pretty much falls flat for anything else, heck just moving snow tires with it seemed to max it out (only 2 would fit in the trunk). Think I settled for too little vehicle now.

I'd be shopping 2nd gen, not 3rd gen, as they got bigger and less mpg. I stick to pavement and while 4WD would be great to have, not worth paying for. Not sure how much the family would drive it, RWD in winter? methinks none--so if I commute in it, at 120 miles roundtrip all the mpg's would be nice to have. I'd like to have the cargo capacity of my CRV (or more), and the ability to hook up a trailer. No need for four doors, but for commuting the rear suicide door would be nice (toss my laptop bag back there).

Still looking around at my options, if a 4th gen Camry popped up that wasn't rusted out I might just opt for that instead...
Had a 2009 Tacoma in the family for 11 years. Here is a little review.

I have a 2006 2wd I4 Access Cab.
I agree, that in NH you may not want a 2wd pick-up.
I disagree that they are "horribly uncomfortable". I rather enjoy long trips in it.
For some time I rode the 2009 Tacoma between Charlotte and Greensboro daily, 4hrs roundtrip. I thought it was more comfy than the 2001 Lexus IS300 I had at the time. And got 28MPG on highway vs 27MPG in the Lexus.

First of all, frame rust, frame rust, frame rust! I had an 09 that I had to trade it in due to frame rust about to turn terminal. Being that far up north I suspect you are gonna have trouble finding a clean one.

2WD Tacoma's do not do very well in snow. I would pony up for a 4WD. You can still get the 2.7 4 banger with 4WD. You do not have to get the V6.

The 4 speed automatic unit in the 4 cylinders is pretty good. The 5 speed auto in the V6 can have a transmission shudder if fluid services not done.

I would personally find a V6 truck, but that's just me. You won't see too much of a fuel mileage hit. Both my previous 2nd gen 4WD V6 access cabs got around 18.

Where you live, I would not want a RWD pickup for winter driving. Also, these are horribly uncomfortable for long commutes.
Agree. An RWD pickup would need an LSD and a good amount of weight in the bed.

Old Tacomas are pretty lousy, IMO. Smaller than my S-10 and less comfortable, IME. Does the generation you’re looking at have the frame rot issues?

The 2.7 is a good engine in my MIL’s FWD Highlander. She has two and we all prefer the 2.7L FWD to the v6 AWD one that is newer and fancier. And that’s in severe Caribbean service with substantial hills, grades and turns.

Does the generation you’re looking at have the frame rot issues?
Yes, although I suspect most have had their frames replaced now (or are razor blades instead). Would be a point of inspection.

Yes, although I suspect most have had their frames replaced now (or are razor blades instead). Would be a point of inspection.

With the length of the commute, I'd not go for the RWD but that's me. God bless ya for considering it. You're savvy enough to figure out the frame rot issues of those years. Great engines.

A coworker of mine in MD used a RWD taco as his DD. He had no problem in the snow. Every winter he’d buy mulch and fill the bed halfway with it. when snow would hit, it soaked into the mulch and got heavy. The solid block stayed put and didn’t slide around. It would weight the axle nicely. In the spring he‘d shovel the mulch into his yard.

that said, I’d have a hard time suggesting it as a RWD in NH. The day you aren’t prepared for snow, you’ll be inconvenienced when compared to any FWD. consider a FWD trucklet? Ridgeline? Maverick? SUV with a small utility trailer?

the RWD non-lifted tacomas ride very nicely, much nicer that the pre-runner and large-wheeled 4x4, well suited in that regard for DD use.

Last edited:
For 10 long years I drove a 2008 X-tra Cab. 2.7L 2WD 5-speed manual. Most reliable vehicle I ever owned. Most boring vehicle I ever owned. Decent mileage. mid 20's. Mine was comfortable enough as it did a couple of one day straight thru's from KC to Denver. Never failed as a truck. Hauled the old BMW cycle just fine and with us and luggage we were at rated payload.

that said, I’d have a hard time suggesting it as a RWD in NH. The day you aren’t prepared for snow, you’ll be inconvenienced when compared to any FWD. consider a FWD trucklet? Ridgeline? Maverick? SUV with a small utility trailer?
Well, made do for years with FWD, how much worse could RWD be? usually got high ended more than stuck trying to go uphill.

Thought about Ridgeline but they're like 20mpg and are not rust free either, Honda tax is same class as Toyota tax, and they have either VCM or transmission issues, depending on the year. SUV would be great, but... mpg and I'd be ridiculed here. Plus I have no need for "sport".

Really comes down to cost, upfront and running. Trying to win on both counts. Not expecting to, which is why I started looking at the more costly options.

Supposedly the 2.7 is more reliable than the 3.5. (I’m assuming that’s the 4 cylinder the 2009 would have.)

Supposedly the 2.7 is more reliable than the 3.5. (I’m assuming that’s the 4 cylinder the 2009 would have.)
Yeah, not interested in the 3.5, I'm sure the power is nice, but the cost isn't.

He's talking second gen. V6 was 4.0. 3rd gen 3.5.

All I know is my 2019 3rd gen V6 4x4 6 MT with mods (and the 2.7 is a complete dog in Gen 3). I love my truck and is very comfortable and goes everywhere I want (city 19mpg, highway sometime 23-24mpg) but almost like my 2014 WRX, I can get more than I bought it for! Therein lies the problem with used Tacomas.

He's talking second gen. V6 was 4.0. 3rd gen 3.5.

All I know is my 2019 3rd gen V6 4x4 6 MT with mods (and the 2.7 is a complete dog in Gen 3). I love my truck and is very comfortable and goes everywhere I want (city 19mpg, highway sometime 23-24mpg) but almost like my 2014 WRX, I can get more than I bought it for! Therein lies the problem with used Tacomas.
Yep. Depreciation isn't there. I don't want to go this path, but OTOH do I want to sign up for new for >$30k? no, not really. Don't think the value is there either (but I'll admit, my ideas are shaped by pre-pandemic pricing).

Have a line out on a 4th gen Camry, waiting to see how that goes.

I'd be looking at a '15-17 Camry LE. Mom has a '21 Corolla so I understand the drawbacks that you mentioned. Especially after a few long trips in it.

I'd be looking at a '15-17 Camry LE. Mom has a '21 Corolla so I understand the drawbacks that you mentioned. Especially after a few long trips in it.
Hmm, that is an idea. It does have a 1,000lb towing rating, which is like 1,500lb in other countries (unbraked), and 2,600lb if braked. So maybe I could use that pretty safely to to my trailer with. I recall this generation having bugs with the 6AT but I'm guessing that got ironed out by now.

Back