8th gen Civic or 9th Gen Corolla?

Considering the age (19 Years), and mileage (438,XXX) of my current Corolla, I've started the replacement trek, and I've narrowed my choices to these two. This car still runs and drives fine, so I'm in no hurry to replace it. Probably the worst I'll have to deal with is no AC this coming summer. While the Corolla has surpassed everything I expected from this car in terms of reliability, and the frugal nature of the overall maintenance required, the car has more than paid for itself over its lifetime. I would have no problem with another Corolla just like this one, but I'm kind of itchin' for something a little different. The Civic attracts me for several reasons, one of the top reasons is they seem to be in the same ballpark as the Corolla in terms of reliability. The big difference is in driving dynamics. I've driven several of the gen 8 Civics, and you immediately feel that its more of a driver's car than the Corolla. Yes, the Civic is more fun to drive. As much as I would love a manual, my wife can't drive a stick, and there are occasions when this car would have to be available to my wife, so the manual is out. Luckily, the 5 speed auto is a pretty slick unit. I could live with it. It's at least as good as the Corolla's 4 speed auto. I have read the Hondas are not trouble-free...some of the 06-early 09 had engine block cracking issues, I've heard the automatics don't hold up very well unless the fluid is changed like every 30K miles, and the left motor mount goes bad typically long before 100K miles...so not trouble-free...I do think the Civic would be more enjoyable to drive...both seem to be priced in the same ballpark..

Attachments

• Corolla.jpeg
    Corolla.jpeg
    60 KB · Views: 41
  • 280px-2006-2008_Honda_Civic_LX_sedan_--_09-22-2010.jpg
    280px-2006-2008_Honda_Civic_LX_sedan_--_09-22-2010.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 42
Had both platforms of that generation. I would go for the Civic. Corolla will be softer riding, but Civic handles better and gets better real world fuel efficiency. The 1ZZ comfortably sat at 28-34MPG, while the R18 effortlessly yielded 30-38MPG.
Motor mounts is the weak link of all Hondas. The mounts go, and if not replaced quick enough - they kill the CV axles.
I'd still take the Civic.

Had both platforms of that generation. I would go for the Civic. Corolla will be softer riding, but Civic handles better and gets better real world fuel efficiency. The 1ZZ comfortably sat at 28-34MPG, while the R18 effortlessly yielded 30-38MPG.
Motor mounts is the weak link of all Hondas. The mounts go, and if not replaced quick enough - they kill the CV axles.
What year was your Civic?

I would beg to differ-I’ve gotten 42 hand calculated out of the manual Corolla in my sig, in WINTER highway driving. I personally don’t think the Civics are as durable as a Corolla. 438,000 trouble-free miles would be hard to beat in anything!

I would give the slight edge to the Corolla in durability but the Civic is definitely more driver focused. Really can't go wrong with either!

I'd go for the Civic. But get a 2009-11. They have a much nicer front end and avoid the engine block issue. I have had several 8th gen Civic's and have not had an issue with the engine mount or the transmission. In fact I find these transmissions to be buttery smooth and very nice.

Considering the age (19 Years), and mileage (438,XXX) of my current Corolla, I've started the replacement trek, and I've narrowed my choices to these two. This car still runs and drives fine, so I'm in no hurry to replace it. Probably the worst I'll have to deal with is no AC this coming summer. While the Corolla has surpassed everything I expected from this car in terms of reliability, and the frugal nature of the overall maintenance required, the car has more than paid for itself over its lifetime. I would have no problem with another Corolla just like this one, but I'm kind of itchin' for something a little different. The Civic attracts me for several reasons, one of the top reasons is they seem to be in the same ballpark as the Corolla in terms of reliability. The big difference is in driving dynamics. I've driven several of the gen 8 Civics, and you immediately feel that its more of a driver's car than the Corolla. Yes, the Civic is more fun to drive. As much as I would love a manual, my wife can't drive a stick, and there are occasions when this car would have to be available to my wife, so the manual is out. Luckily, the 5 speed auto is a pretty slick unit. I could live with it. It's at least as good as the Corolla's 4 speed auto. I have read the Hondas are not trouble-free...some of the 06-early 09 had engine block cracking issues, I've heard the automatics don't hold up very well unless the fluid is changed like every 30K miles, and the left motor mount goes bad typically long before 100K miles...so not trouble-free...I do think the Civic would be more enjoyable to drive...both seem to be priced in the same ballpark..
I owned ( inherited the Corolla ) both cars. The Civic drives nicer but I had to replace the engine ( fight with Honda ...new short block ) because of the infamous porous engine block ( coolant leaked out, overheated ). Honda, shortly afterward, offered a 10-year, unlimited mileage warranty to cover that problem.

Which do you like driving more?
My daughter had a 2015 Civic LX that got totaled in 2021. I thought it was the best Corolla that I ever drove.

All 9th gen Corolla odometers stop at 299999, including the Matrix and Vibe. So if you plan on going over 300k with the new car, the Civic wins by default.

It is VERY easy to change the ATF on a Honda, even easier than changing the oil. You're supposed to change the fluid on every transmission, and most people on here will be changing it at least every 30k anyway. We know there's no such thing as lifetime fill, and the BITOG faithful should appreciate Honda's honesty about not being lifetime fill.

Every 8th gen Civic that is going to crack its block will have had it replaced by now.

If you still prefer a Corolla, switching to a Matrix/Vibe will give you the added space of a wagon. There's also the Scion XA or XD.

Since you already have a 2004 Corolla, why not get the 10th gen Corolla instead of a 9th? At least the 10th gen odometers don't stop at 299999 :sneaky:

All 9th gen Corolla odometers stop at 299999, including the Matrix and Vibe. So if you plan on going over 300k with the new car, the Civic wins by default.

It is VERY easy to change the ATF on a Honda, even easier than changing the oil. You're supposed to change the fluid on every transmission, and most people on here will be changing it at least every 30k anyway. We know there's no such thing as lifetime fill, and the BITOG faithful should appreciate Honda's honesty about not being lifetime fill.

Every 8th gen Civic that is going to crack its block will have had it replaced by now.

If you still prefer a Corolla, switching to a Matrix/Vibe will give you the added space of a wagon. There's also the Scion XA or XD.

Since you already have a 2004 Corolla, why not get the 10th gen Corolla instead of a 9th? At least the 10th gen odometers don't stop at 299999 :sneaky:
Weirdly enough, we had a Vibe for a while (an ‘03)-my wife thinks the Corolla in my sig is more comfortable to drive & has more back seat space than the Vibe (& my Mom’s/now nephew’s) ‘06 Matrix. Miss the hatch, though!

This is exactly what I've been reading. So unless there are other reasons to stay away from the pre-'09 models besides cracking engine blocks, I should also be considering those year models as well. The Odo on the Corolla stopping at 299999 doesn't bother me. I keep track of the mileage using trip A meter...I have also been looking at gen 10s...

What's the budget? I'll be selling my high mileage 2020 Corolla hybrid for probably not much more than the cars you will be looking at. Plus the the 60 mpg is the cherry on top.
I'd like to stay as far under $10K as possible, but that's looking like it's going to be a challenge....still not a good time to buy yet...

Back