Explorer engine options

Would you consider spending a little more to try to get a Highlander hybrid LE. 36mpg average and it's 40k msrp. Just not yet. But it would save a lot in fuel.

Would you consider spending a little more to try to get a Highlander hybrid LE. 36mpg average and it's 40k msrp. Just not yet. But it would save a lot in fuel.
I was hoping for RWD and Ford or GM ;) but if I didn’t care about that your suggestion is quite reasonable :) if I decide to settle for FWD I’d go with a Maverick though.

OK, so I went to the local Ford dealer and test drove a 2.3 Explorer.

I like it a lot, it was a nice vehicle. However, it still very much feels like a four-cylinder. Around town it was totally fine, and merging onto the highway felt more confident than in my Escape, but once it gets to highway speeds, it just runs out of steam if you wanted to accelerate quickly or pass someone. I didn't really push it, as I had the sales guy with me, and it's not my vehicle, but I just think it needs a little more power. A common complaint from reviews is the transmission programming, but it didn't bother me too much. It did some weird stuff at lower speeds, but it's definitely smarter than the 6F35 in the Escape and responds more quickly. For example, slowing down to a red light but accelerating because it turns green while you're still moving, it immediately knew what you were trying to do, which was nice.

Overall, I'm not super impressed, doesn't mean I won't buy one, every vehicle purchase is a compromise, I was just hoping for more. It didn't put a big smile on my face like I thought it should for something that costs like FOURTY THOUSAND DOLLARS. Just really wish I could drive the same vehicle with the 3.3 NA V6 as I think it would be PERFECT, but nope, unless I can order a "cop car" that ain't gonna happen. Perhaps I will just try to save up cash and buy a used police version with the engine I want. We will see what the market is like around the end of the year when I think I will be ready to buy.

Still happy to hear any further ideas or feedback on this platform and its engines.

I'd submit you didn't get on it if you think it runs out of steam. Way more power on hand that that... Way more oomph than the 4.6L V8 explorer we replaced!

For reference, it is nearly as fast as the previous generation Explorer with the 3.5 ecoboost (1/4 mile is around 0.3 seconds slower depending on the source) and its a full second+ faster than the V8 Explorers from two generations back...

To get performance out of this engine you need to get the revs to 3000 rpm.

226A005B-A0CF-4224-8AFE-00ED06C580AB.png

Last edited:
I'd submit you didn't get on it if you think it runs out of steam. Way more power on hand that that... Way more oomph than the 4.6L V8 explorer we replaced!

For reference, it is nearly as fast as the previous generation Explorer with the 3.5 ecoboost (1/4 mile is around 0.3 seconds slower depending on the source) and its a full second+ faster than the V8 Explorers from two generations back...
I don’t know, I was going like 60, and I floored it, and it just sorta went waaaaah but didn’t go anywhere.

I don’t know, I was going like 60, and I floored it, and it just sorta went waaaaah but didn’t go anywhere.
That's the 10 speeds fault. The 10 speed in my 2021 Escalade feels like a slush box compared to the 330k 4l65e in my 2005 and that's also considering it's all original and has never been repaired in any way since i got it new. Just service, not one part has failed me. The new ford gm 10 speed hesitates to downshift and go when you step on it or when you put it in cruise control It takes it sweet time to go into OD and the high rpm's annoy me.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the 10 speeds fault. The 10 speed in my 2021 Escalade feels like a slush box compared to the 330k 4l65e in my 2005 and that's also considering it's all original and has never been repaired in any way since i got it new. Just service, not one part has failed me. The new ford gm 10 speed hesitates to downshift and go when you step on it or when you put it in cruise control It takes it sweet time to go into OD and the high rpm's annoy me.
Yeah, I’ve had many 4L60E bases vehicles and they shift great. Predictable!

I think it’s just hard to get so many gears programmed right. The 6F35 in my Escape does plenty of weird stuff, and that’s only 60% of the gears compared to 10-speed. They’ve had so many software updates, I don’t know whether mine is current but I’m used to it so no need to see if it can be updated.

Last edited by a moderator:
And on top of that, the 10 speed adapts to the driving. On a new test drive, none of that has happened yet. Mine will drop multiple gears and takes off... but its also broken in.

I'll throw in my completely useless .02 RE: the current generation Explorer... it stinks. It's a big, portly, washed up version of it's younger self.

I've been behind the wheel of exactly ONE example: Platinum trim, AWD, 3.0 TT. I truly didn't care for it. It sure didn't feel as powerful as advertised, the front seats are too narrow in the shoulders (and I'm all of 5'10, 165), and the interior felt CHEAP for the price.

Speaking of cheap, I've twice had the passenger front door apart and I can honestly say it DOES feel cheap once you start taking things apart. Very few screws, lots of friction clips.

The 3.3L NA engine has lots of attributes. Frugal, I averaged 21.7 mpg over 3.5 years in a F-150. Better low end power than most give it credit for.

For a fast getaway just stomp it, it really does have 290 hp. The key is to go through the mid range quickly when you have the advantage of lower gearing in 1st and 2nd.

It used no oil during 5K intervals of Motorcraft 5w-20 semi swill at the dealer. It was not picky about fuel. Also a quiet engine but roared like a race engine with the 7K redline when the beans were issued.

One issue was at about 20K it developed the cam phaser tick on the drivers side cylinders. I traded it off soon after. Wanted a more economical vehicle and the trade ins were generous at that time.
You almost had me sold on the engine until the cam phaser issue. Looks like the current 3.3 is 315 hp. That is impressive for such a small engine.

I haven’t driven one but I believe the transmission was programmed to shift a few gears down and then if you kept the Explorer engine floored it would have revved up to redline and then the tranny would have started to climb gears. Meanwhile the salesman would have been freaking out. o_O

I haven’t driven one but I believe the transmission was programmed to shift a few gears down and then if you kept the Explorer engine floored it would have revved up to redline and then the tranny would have started to climb gears. Meanwhile the salesman would have been freaking out. o_O
That makes sense. I wish they had not come with me, I would have felt far more comfortable on my own. I would not have abused it, I am not that kind of person, but I would have been able to better determine if the vehicle was the right fit for me. If it had decent passing power I would be far more inclined to purchase it. If it doesn't, I may as well save a lot of money and go with a Maverick at a far cheaper price point or hold out for something else.

Bought a 22 ST with the 3.0 TT in Oct, no regrets.

I only have 1500 miles on it in those 3 months. It has been rock sold threw all the deep snow and had no issues so far. Stick to 5k oil changes.

I would bet 99% of the police interceptors will have the TT engine.

And on top of that, the 10 speed adapts to the driving. On a new test drive, none of that has happened yet. Mine will drop multiple gears and takes off... but its also broken in.

No, they don't. One of the most wrongly repeated things about 'adaptive' transmissions. The adaptives are just there for the transmission to 'learn itself' meaning adjusting for worn clutches, solenoid activation times, accumulator fill times, etc. That's why there is a very specific relearn for most all 'adaptive' transmissions if you reset the adaptive tables to specifically take the driver out of the equation and let the TCM relearn what it needs to. Otherwise, the vehicle would drive like a clunky pile of trash every time someone else drove it.

That said.

Its been reported that the 2024 Ranger (And what should be anything else using the 2.3L) is coming with dual injection (Port/GDI), so that will take a least a little bit of the worry off the table for the intake valves.

Last I knew, they are using the 10R60 transmission in the Explorer/Bronco, so it is a bit of a derated trans, and there have been a few problems with them with snap rings coming loose and the like, but hopefully, they'd have that cleared up by now. I think there was also a cooler issue, that should also be fixed as they've been doing updated parts for that.

I'm approaching 35k on my 2.3 and it has been a real trooper. We tow what most would consider a 'too large' travel trailer with it and it never complains, just goes about its business and gets the job done. I might eventually do the Ford factory tune on it, just because...its only $600 or so and you pick up a good little chunk of power out of it. (45hp/65 lb/ft)

I don't worry about my phasers as much as I do the timing chain, so I stick to 5000 mile OCI's and synthetic and figure that's about as good as I'm going to do.

Back