Camry 3.5L V6 Option worth $2500?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

hybrids have batteries. batteries die every few years and are heavy. IDK

Only if you call 10 years a few. Why are people so resistant to accept new ideas.
dunno.gif

Read that article last night...the Camry didn't fare very well - 5th place out of 6, beating only the Sebring. Accord took top honors. They were quite impressed with the Kia Optima as well.

I don't care for magazine opinions or comparisons. Auto mags are good for airline, train, or bathroom reading. Drawing a conclusion simply on a magazine recommendation is a poor choice.

IMO, the 4cyl vehicles, even with automatics, are good enough for most drivers. The Camry, Accord, 6, Galant, Sonata, Altima, Legacy,..... perform just great with a 4cyl. IMO, a manual is always better then an auto but not always a preferred choice(if you're overdue for knee replacement). The 4-cyl is a preferred choice if your children drive your vehicle

I won't try to convince you to buy a different vehicle. If you choose the Camry, pick the engine that fits your driving style, your budget, and your location.

There are times when the V6 is mandatory. If you always chaffeur your friends around, if you drive over mountain passes or live above 5k feet, if you tow or work the vehicle(justify truck/suv), if you live in a high traffic area where power is required to merge,.... then you have no choice but to buy the V6.
I find that the 4-cyl vehicles need a little more pep when there are 3-4 passengers aboard, when trying to merge on the highway in NYC, Boston, Atlanta.... when towing the toy(motorcycle, jetski, ski boat), when trying to climb a mountain grade......

Otherwise, the bigger engines are for the ego, a possible non-prescription cure for some personal inadequacy. Fad vehicles, trucks, suvs, sportscars and.....also fit that ego mold.

If you don't need it save your money and future MPG on that purchase and get the 4-cyl. Real world MPG is also something to consider. Power corrupts and even if the EPA mileage is similar, the bigger engine is too tempting and will be a guzzler compared to the 4. You might also turn into a drag racer because of the 6cyl engine. Nothing like stoplight smoking all those wing'd out stickered equipped imports in a boring Camry 3.5!

Quote:

You might also turn into a drag racer because of the 6cyl engine. Nothing like stoplight smoking all those wing'd out stickered equipped imports in a boring Camry 3.5!

crackmeup.gif

Quote:

Otherwise, the bigger engines are for the ego, a possible non-prescription cure for some personal inadequacy. Fad vehicles, trucks, suvs, sportscars and.....also fit that ego mold.

Not true, well for some it's true but for most it's not. Basically no matter what you drive some group of people are going to look at you funny. If you drive a pickup some people are going to think you're a redneck. If you drive a bmw some people are going to think you're a jerk. If you drive a dented old beater some people are going to think you're a bad driver. You can't control what people think so.. drive whatever you like best
cool.gif

Plus for what it's worth, my dads uncle drivers a porche 911 turbo, a corvette and a chevy SUV. He doesn't drive the 911 or corvette because he wants to fit in or show off, he drives it because he can afford it. He's a very down to earth and nice guy. It's his toy, nothing more, he always enjoyed cars, and who wouldn't want a vette or 911? The SUV for whenever he needs to haul, move stuff or carry people, and for winter driving. The 911 I think he drives most of the time during summer days, that's his fun little two seater convertible. And the reason he has the vette? among many things he likes the way the engine roars on WOT
driving.gif

Quote:

Quote:

Only if you call 10 years a few. Why are people so resistant to accept new ideas.
dunno.gif

From my standpoint I wouldnt get a hybrid just because it costs more initially and theres more that can break. Same reason i'd stay away from a luxury car.

Maintenance is expensive on the Sonata, especially the 60k valve adjustment as it's quite labor intensive due to the solid lifters/tappets. The plugs @ 100k look difficult as well.

My wife and I went and test drove camry's here a while back. We drove both the 4cyl and 6cyl. You could tell a difference in them but depending what you are going to use the car for should be the factor in choosing. We live in north Texas and the roads here are pretty flat. It is just us two and a one yr old. I do not see the need for the 6cyl. We are not into the performance thing. The four cyl looks easier to work on in the long run. Better mileage. Cheaper to buy is another plus. You just got to decide what is important to you. Either one is fine I think.

Theyre not new ideas, theyre bad ideas. Theyre great ideas for compensating for the comparative deficiencies of the otto cycle engine, however considering the unspoken alternatives these are just nothing but Microsoft OS versions. Bad technology needs to be exploited for profit before the existence of anything better can even be acknowledged.

Quote:

Quote:

dunno.gif

I have a Toyota Avalon that is 12 years old and that I plan to use for the rest of my life (or its, whichever comes first). Batteries that need to be replaced every 10 years are simply not acceptable for this sort of application.

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

dunno.gif

The battery warranty is 10-yr/150k miles, but that doesn't mean the batteries go boom shortly thereafter.

There are Prius owners will > 200k miles on the original battery pack with no performance, safety, or electrical issues.

Besides, the Toyota CVT transmission is of a very simple design compared to the complex 5 and 6-spd autos on the road today, making the likeliness of needing a rebuild to be extremely low.

Most transmissions on the road today (especially the newest ones) will need a rebuild after 120-150k to a tune of about $3k, almost identical to the cost of a new battery pack.

Even if I did need a new battery pack @ 200k, but my transmission hasn't failed, I'd still be even.
wink.gif

I have a Toyota Avalon that is 12 years old and that I plan to use for the rest of my life (or its, whichever comes first). Batteries that need to be replaced every 10 years are simply not acceptable for this sort of application.

Quote:

Maintenance is expensive on the Sonata, especially the 60k valve adjustment as it's quite labor intensive due to the solid lifters/tappets. The plugs @ 100k look difficult as well.

I don't belive with proper oil changes the solid lifters would ever become a problem.Sparks plugs at 100K are not really a big deal.A loaded limited is a much better deal than a Camry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back