BMW M Track Day - M cars are impressive

Canuck - moved to —> California —> Texas —> ???
Got a chance to take out M3 and M4 cars for some laps around the Circuit of the Americas.

Besides the hideously ugly, in my opinion, front grill, these machines are very impressive and capable.
Got the M4 on the long straight to over 150mph, AC at full blast, the oil never went over 210F.
The brakes, oh man solid as a rock. No fade what so ever and it felt to me like I only used about 70% of them. There is so much capacity in them, it’s unbelievable.

The engine and transmission were nice, but brakes impressed me the most.

Speaking of the transmission, in D mode it was a gear to high coming onto the corners, maybe it’s something it would learn eventually, but I had to use the paddle shifters.

IMG_2711.jpg

IMG_2712.jpeg

If this was an actual track event it wouldn't surprise me if the cars had updated pads and fluid. If the cars are based there in some type of M Performance center, they pretty much certainly are.

The reason why the oil temperature does not go over 210f is that DME recognizes that you are on track. All G series, M or not have brick type heat exchangers and one or two oil radiators, depending on size of the engine. M2/3/4 come with two oil radiators.
So there is a lot of cooling capacity. Then, DME bcs. you are on track, will push the thermostat in a completely open position (it is electronically controlled. DME manipulation of cooling is in all BMW gas vehicles since 2004. In my E90 DME will push the water pump (electric) into high effectiveness mode on track. In B58 and S58 they figured out how to do the same but with a mechanical water pump.

If this was an actual track event it wouldn't surprise me if the cars had updated pads and fluid. If the cars are based there in some type of M Performance center, they pretty much certainly are.
All M cars since F80 come with track pads from the get-go. Probably this one has ceramic brake option.
As for the cooling system, I explained above.

All M cars since F80 come with track pads from the get-go. Probably this one has ceramic brake option.
As for the cooling system, I explained above.

No, they don't. They're better than what's in the base cars but they are by no means track pads (which will destroy rotors, dust like crazy and make hellacious noise when cold).

No, they don't. They're better than what's in the base cars but they are by no means track pads (which will destroy rotors, dust like crazy and make hellacious noise when cold).
CCB were an option with the prior-gen (F8x) but even stock brakes were track ready. Race ready is something all together different but the CCB's would be fine.

Destroy rotors? I go through 3-4 track pad sets a year on the same rotors I use on the street. I did 35,000 miles on ATE rotors that were $49 a piece and used some 5-6 track pad sets.
All M cars have track-ready pads. Even E90 M3 was coming with a different compound than regular E90's which already had very capable pads that I actually used on track.
And yes they dust like crazy. Did you ever see M car wheels? Or ANY older BMW wheels? Dusty wheels were always BMW thing, together with much more capable brakes than competition.

Destroy rotors? I go through 3-4 track pad sets a year on same rotors I use on the street. I did 35,000 miles on ATE rotors that were $49 a piece and used some 5-6 track pad sets.
All M cars have track-ready pads. Even E90 M3 was coming with a different compound that regular E90's which already had very capable pads that I actually used on track.
And yes they dust like crazy. Did you ever see M car wheels? Or ANY older BMW wheels? Dusty wheels were always BMW thing, together with much more capable brakes than competition.

Yeah - Because you're not using real track pads. It's like comparing 300 treadwear summer tire to a slick.

Carbotech XP, Pagid RS... The list is long.
I am aware of all those brands. But, again, what is difference? By the way, yes, I used RSL and XP.
But bcs. this is BMW, I can get away with Hawk HP+. VW/Audi, not so much.
Maybe you should get out of RS world and try M. There is a reason why 3 series and Miata are most common cars on track.

I am aware of all those brands. But, again, what is difference? By the way, yes, I used RSL and XP.
But bcs. this is BMW, I can get away with Hawk HP+. VW/Audi, not so much.
Maybe you should get out of RS world and try M. There is a reason why 3 series and Miata are most common cars on track.

So now we're into a **** swinging contest over M/RS :ROFLMAO: I don't know why you're getting upset about this. I like M cars a lot. I almost bought M2 instead of my car but I changed my mind last minute because six months of the year here the Audi has a very distinct advantage. All I am saying is that these cars very likely have upgraded pads/fluid. That would be true for pretty much any car used in a performance driving environment, even Porsches and Ferraris.

Almost all OE performance brake systems are made by Brembo, at least the calipers. My car has an eight pot Brembo system. So to think one brand can get away with "lesser" pads is a positive? Whatever makes you feel better. It just means they aren't getting hot enough to matter.

Back