I am done with my BMW updates ...

Upgrades that is :ROFLMAO:

So, I got this BMW E90 328 xDrive with 6-speed manual in December 2019. I was looking specifically E90 with N52 (last naturally aspirated I6 engine that BMW had). I had several criteria:
1. Must be manual.
2. Must have below 100k.
3. LCI (updated, so not older than 2009).
4. No iDrive.
5. HiD lights.
6. Sports package.
7. xDrive bcs. I would take it to ski.

So, after looking for a year since I got rid of X5 for Sienna, I found one in DC with 84,000 miles, flew there, and drove it back in two days to CO.

The first purchase was 16" wheels with Continental VikingCointact 7 snow tires running 205/55 R16.
Then in April, once COVID shut down everything, I embarked on an audio upgrade. That was the first thing as base audio that came with was blah:
1. Kenwood head unit.
2. Pioneer shallow subwoofers below front seats in encolusures that had BMW subwoofers.
3. 6 1/2 Pioneer speakers in the rear shelf instead of 4" speakers.
4. 4" mid and 1 1/2" tweeters in front doors (MB Quart mid, Pioneer tweeters).
5. JL Audio amp pushing regular speakers.
6. Pioneer amp pushing Subwoofers.

Kenwood in the central console.JPG

Old shelf speakers:
Old speaker in rear deck.JPG

New shelf speakers:

Pioneer done before installing deck.JPG

Old vs. new subwoofer:

Woofer comparison MBQ P.JPG

New Subwoofer in place:

Pioneer woofer in floor.JPG

So, the audio worked excellent! The reason why I went Kenwood HU is that it has a rear USB line that is 5ft long, so I ran it to the glove compartment to hook up iPod. I only use a physical connection as it is much better than Bluetooth.
Also, it has 6 5V outputs for amplifiers.

After that, next project was oil cooler. I had issues with oil temperature while I was tracking. Altitude is unforgiving and I know people who come from Texas with turbo engines on BMWs here to track, and regardless that they have oil coolers and it works in TX heat, here it is not sufficient. I did not want to go brick-style heat exchanger. I wanted radiator type that is found on N54/55 turbo models with a sport package. It is overkill for naturally aspirated N52, BUT, it has a thermostat that opens at 110c, so no problems warming up oil. Luckily, N51/52/53/54/55 engines share same oil filter housing and models with heat exchanger or thermostat just have opening on other side where you attach heat exchanger or thermostat that has two lines going in and out:

Oil filter housing with thermostat attached and lines going in and out:
OFH thermostat with lines 2.JPG

The actual cooler is in the wheel well. Air goes through front where there is duct for brake cooling. Then duct separates to line for brakes and line that attaches to the radiator:
Oil cooler behind tire well bracket.JPG

Oil cooler worked perfectly. Absolutely no oil temperature issues (I was running up to 300f when limp mode would kick in). It is sooo efficient, that I ran a 70-minute session at 102f at 5,100ft altitude and did not go over 255f.

Than suspension upgrades came:
1. Bilstein B6 struts and shocks. B6 are normal height and track rated (B8 are for lower vehicles). The reason I did not want to lower car is that it is my daily, I take kids to school, work, ski etc.
2. Front I had to go regular control arms etc. because it is xDrive. On RWD you can go M3 control arms that have bearing-style bushings. I just refreshed the front with all arms, sway bar bushings, toe rods, strut mounts etc.
3. Rear I had more options. Upper and lower wishbones can be from M3. They are forged aluminum and have bearing-style bushings. They also increase camber. I used Monroe upper and lower shock mounts. DUe to E90 coming with RFT, they use some kind of sponge to absorb RFT harshness. Since I ditched RFT, I wanted stiffer mounts and Monroe ($9 per wheel) is considered among the BMW crowd as the best upgrade.
4. Rear subframe bushings were replaced with Polyurethane performance ones from Powerflex which are stiffer than M3 ones.
5. Rear diff bushings are from M3. Polyurethane bushings in the rear diff. apparently, create whining noise.

Rear suspension:
M3 control arms front Poly.jpg

After suspension, it was time for an engine.
First was air box. the US air box comes with two air filters. One is regular that you replace. Another one is charcoal which is integrated to meet CARB requirements. A popular upgrade is going European box, which has a mushroom-style filter inside a different box and no charcoal filter.
But, that box is like $300 for used and $400+ for new. But, I called my brother and he found one on a jank yard in Bosnia for $20, and sent it here for $40! Ha!!! Also, I replaced the intake hose with Turner one. That eliminates the resonator and provides crispier sound:

New air box with blue Turner intake hose:
New air box.jpg

Last edited:
Then it came time for major engine power upgrade. You see, N52 engine comes in three different power variants: 325/328 and 330i. 325/328 had a single-stage intake manifold. The software was difference. 325 had 215hp and 200lb-ft, while 328 had 230hp and 200lb-ft. 330, on the other hand, had 3 stage intake manifold with two DISA valves. DISA valves are basically variable intake valves that redirect air at certain rpms. That variant had 255hp and 221lb-ft.
So, the popular upgrade is 3 stage intake from either 330i or X5 E70 that had N52 in 3.0i variant. Of course, that requires software which I downloaded for free, and INPA BMW software (also free). WIth Euro air box and that software, now I am contemplating some 260-265hp and slightly above 221lb-ft.

Old intake off:
Old intake on engine.jpg

Old vs. 3stage intake. As you can see, the lower one has an additional hole for so called small DISA valve (the big one is on the other side. DISA valves were biggest investment, $700 for both, OE BMW. There are aftermarket cheaper ones, but they are hit or miss, and I am not in the mood to replace them just like that as intake has to go out for small one to be replaced:
Old intake new intake.jpg

After engine, it was time for brakes.
E90 has very good brakes from the factory. But I wanted to go Brembo, because, why not? E90 328 had Brembo option, but not very good one. Brake performance package was the same as the Brembo package on 135i E82. 336X26mm front rotors with 6 piston calipers which were super heavy and designed in such a way that they retained heat like crazy. Also, they came with ceramic pistons, which were not durable on track. Generally, sliding calipers on 335 were better brakes. Rear were 324X22mm rotors with 2 piston calipers. Those calipers were generally ok and I purchased them for rear.
So, I decided to go with Brembo calipers from F30 335/340 (2012 model and later), which has the same front knuckle and calipers and rotors that are plug-and-play. However, calipers are 4 pistons, much lighter, and breath better. The rotor is 340X30mm. It is a larger rotor, but that is OK. E90 335 has 348x30mm rotors, so knuckle and bearing can easily take it. I got front and rear calipers on eBay, and immediately clean them:
Scrubbing front Brembos.jpg

Then it was time to figure out rotors.
Front were easy. Plenty options. Rear were a problem. You see, BMW was charging $4,000 for brake performance package on E90. So, very, VERY few people went for it. Now, I could not go for a rotor from 135, although it is basically E90, just smaller package, as mine has 185mm rear brake shoes, while 135 has 165mm rear shoes. I could modify it, but I really do not want to do that. So, only one company besides OE BMW ($195 per rotor) or Zimmerman ($177 per rotor) sells rotors, DFC. In addition, E90 with Brembo brakes only came with slotted and drilled rotors. DFC was selling dimpled and slotted for $64! Much cheaper. I had to forget my pride and just get them and not plain ones. That meant I had to go dimpled and slotted front as plain would look weird with rear being dimpled and slotted. So, went Zimmerman for $90 per rotor as they are by far best bang for a buck.
Pads were easy. F30 335/340 were coming with 3 type of pads: Base (no dust, weak initial bite), P337 in M SPort (no dust, also weak initial bite) and S2NHA with a super aggressive bite which is also base pad in Europe. I got Jurid (Jurid is OE pad too) for front, S2NHA, of course. For back, on Rock Auto Back and Arnley was selling Textar or Jurid in their box. $41! I got in box Textar.
In addition, I replaced the master cylinder with M3 one. 325/328/330 and 335 have the same master cylinder with front/rear bore 25/25mm. M3 one has front/rear bore 26/25mm. This way, bcs. larger bore, I retained a stiff pedal feel. Also, this requires coding to SPBR (Sport package-brakes) to adjust EBD. Very easy using a Protool (BMW OBD software for Android) and BMW software ISTA-P (free to download).

Old front rotor vs. New:
Old rotor new rotor front.jpg

New rear vs. old:
Old rotor new rotos rear.jpg

Painting:
Painting calipers.jpg

Results:

Bleeding front Brembo.jpg

Rear Brembo on.jpg

Wheels with brake upgrades.jpg
Wheels with brake upgrades2.jpg

So, I think this is it! Going with these brakes required me to go 17" wheels in winter. I got from F30 last summer and went 205/50R17 snow tires. I will keep 225/45R17 for the track. For regular daily grind, I put on 18" wheels from F30, with some new shoes, Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 Plus, 225/40R18.

Car has 132,000 miles now. The only issue I had was TPMS module so far. I just replaced valve cover gasket and valve cover. It was not leaking, but while I was doing front calipers, I broke the hard line. Lines were going behind the Valve cover, so decided to do that. The reason why it did not leak, which is usual on BMW with these engines is I believe oil cooler, which keeps the temperature in check. I went new cover as PCV is integrated into it, so why not.

I will see how long this car ends up with me. It is an absolute blast to drive as daily, ski, and have fun on the track. RWD would be much better on track, but, then, not that usable in Colorado, especially the skiing part.

Now, going F30 335 with stick and sport package would be a much easier and cheaper option. No needed upgrades, faster. But, F30 was generally a vanilla 3 series made to please customers of MB, Lexus or Audi and lure them to BMW. Plus, not naturally aspirated I6. This was fun. Yes, I spent some money, but did work on my own, so it was only parts, and many were really cheap. The most expensive item(s) were DISA valves. I got oil cooler radiator (OE BMW) brand new for $200, for example. Calipers were cheap, intake manifold too and all software for BMW necessary to code things are free to download.

Last edited:
Those are nice engines to wind out, my friend owns a BMW shop here in LA and says the E90's with N52 engines are one of BMW's most reliable cars of the past 20 years.
Yes, these engines are a blast.
They have one weak spot, though. If the serpentine belt breaks, bcs. pully is oversized, it does not have anywhere else to go but through the front crank seal into the engine. So, I forgot to mention I installed steel plate protection behind pulley :)

Nice! A real enthusiasts car. Agreed, great engine and wicked smooth 6MT. Good on you for holding out to find exactly what you wanted.

(Maybe someday the stars align and I can get one of the ones that got away; The Z4 M Coupe

The 6MT really became smooth with Redline D4 fluid. Absolute blast.
Not sure about Z4 M. I have two small kids. We got kids late, so they will require driving around and I avoid driving SUV. It is much easier to live with than Sienna was, but still.
If I change it, it will be M2 with 6MT.

Back