My BMW DOES have an oil dipstick!

Nah, ATF level changes too much depending on fluid temp. Most people are misled by the dipstick readings.

Most people are consciously, or subconsciously, smart enough to never open a hood; knowing they have no business doing so without some requisite knowledge of what to accomplish without making things worse.

Then there are those who go where angles fear to tread.

Z

That’s what I call a self evident question.

If auto manufacturers were kind enough to put a dipstick tube with cap in a car, just go ahead and supply a dipstick as well.
We discussed that numerous times. There are more issues with people “checking “ fluid in transmission than leaving it for few who know. When was last time you were down on fluid in transmission?

We discussed that numerous times. There are more issues with people “checking “ fluid in transmission than leaving it for few who know. When was last time you were down on fluid in transmission?

When I bought my ‘02 XKR five years ago.

The previous owner never bothered with servicing the transmission, even though it had a pan drain plug leak, because it was “sealed for life”. lol.

At that point I knew just adding the same amount as I drained out would leave the A/T short of fluid.

Knowing the difference between 80 C and the 25 C marks on the “special tool” dipstick is about all it takes to add the right amount of fluid. And an OBD-II reader set to read the ATF temp.

I have little sympathy for people getting in over their heads under the hood, nor patience for manufacturers who make servicing a vehicle more complicated than it has to be for a competent person.

Z

When I bought my ‘02 XKR five years ago.

The previous owner never bothered with servicing the transmission, even though it had a pan drain plug leak, because it was “sealed for life”. lol.

At that point I knew just adding the same amount as I drained out would leave the A/T short of fluid.

Knowing the difference between 80 C and the 25 C marks on the “special tool” dipstick is about all it takes to add the right amount of fluid. And an OBD-II reader set to read the ATF temp.

I have little sympathy for people getting in over their heads under the hood, nor patience for manufacturers who make servicing a vehicle more complicated than it has to be for a competent person.

Z
So, you want manufacturers to cater to few people who will take OBD, read appropriate temperature to fill bcs reading on dipstick? When you buy 15yrs old car, I would say transmission service is first thing after engine oil change. Also, transmission is not sealed for life. It has filter pan and procedure to change fluid.
It seems world is against you.

So, you want manufacturers to cater to few people who will take OBD, read appropriate temperature to fill bcs reading on dipstick? When you buy 15yrs old car, I would say transmission service is first thing after engine oil change. Also, transmission is not sealed for life. It has filter pan and procedure to change fluid.
It seems world is against you.
lol.
the world is not agin nor for me. Like mother nature on earth, benign indifference rules the cosmos, including my station in it.

I would not expect manufacturers to include or exclude a maintenance feature for the mechanically inclined owners. But such considerations would seem appropriate to be made on the behalf of the professional technicians employed by their own dealerships, who are charged with the oversized task of keeping the manufacturers cars running, at least thru the warranty period.

in my insignificant anecdotal example, yes the Jaguar folks did market the Mercedes transmission as “sealed for life”. Although I cannot imagine how they managed to do so with a straight face.

But some ten years,or thereabouts, after these cars were sold, Jaguar, and presumably Mercedes who manufactured the Jag’s transmission, did an about face, and without the slightest explanation, gave a revised transmission maintenance schedule which called for fluid and filter replacement on a regular basis somewhat more often than “lifetime”. ;)

Removal if oil dipstick makes meeting emissions much easier in certain engines. In diesel there was no need to remive it, and they never did.
Yeah, it was pure hell putting up with all of the smoke and fumes that poured out of that little tube every time you pulled it out. Just imagine the trees and animals that have been saved! Makes me smile every time I think of it.

Yeah, it was pure hell putting up with all of the smoke and fumes that poured out of that little tube every time you pulled it out. Just imagine the trees and animals that have been saved! Makes me smile every time I think of it.
tell us more how you don’t know anything about it?

lol.
the world is not agin nor for me. Like mother nature on earth, benign indifference rules the cosmos, including my station in it.

I would not expect manufacturers to include or exclude a maintenance feature for the mechanically inclined owners. But such considerations would seem appropriate to be made on the behalf of the professional technicians employed by their own dealerships, who are charged with the oversized task of keeping the manufacturers cars running, at least thru the warranty period.

in my insignificant anecdotal example, yes the Jaguar folks did market the Mercedes transmission as “sealed for life”. Although I cannot imagine how they managed to do so with a straight face.

But some ten years,or thereabouts, after these cars were sold, Jaguar, and presumably Mercedes who manufactured the Jag’s transmission, did an about face, and without the slightest explanation, gave a revised transmission maintenance schedule which called for fluid and filter replacement on a regular basis somewhat more often than “lifetime”. ;)
We have discussed numerous tome what is “sead for life.” It is not only Jaguar. It is basically 100,000 miles period.

We have discussed numerous tome what is “sead for life.” It is not only Jaguar. It is basically 100,000 miles period.

Period? As in , shut up you fool ? lol.

Whatever the consensus may be here, Jaguar, Mercedes, and their dealerships maintained for years that “sealed for life” meant for the entire life of the car, not the warranty period, not 100,000 miles. But for as long as the car was registered.

And here’s a friendly “period” back at ya, bro. ;)

Z

Period? As in , shut up you fool ? lol.

Whatever the consensus may be here, Jaguar, Mercedes, and their dealerships maintained for years that “sealed for life” meant for the entire life of the car, not the warranty period, not 100,000 miles. But for as long as the car was registered.

And here’s a friendly “period” back at ya, bro. ;)

Z
I am not trying to tell you "period." I am saying this has been discussed xxxxx times. Manufacturers do that as marketing. The fact that you can unscrew xx amount of bolts and change fluid means that in fact, it is not sealed. The fact that there is TSB on how to do it, means, in reality, it is not sealed.
Now, you do not have to change fluid, or you can. I mean, it seems you have a problem with a manufacturer that really does not have a problem with you.

Close

no dipstick
stop/start
no fuel cap
If you go on the Jeep forums, there are many people having expensive problems with these "Stop / Start" systems. One of the biggest issues many are having, is in regards to those who do short trips and commutes to work in traffic.

(Where "Start / Stop" is utilized the most, by shutting the engine down while waiting at stoplights and such). With accessories like lights, radios, and wipers continuing to operate. Many are finding themselves having to replace both batteries in under 2 years. At a cost of over $1,000.00 at many dealerships.

What happens is, the vehicles end up not being driven enough to recharge the batteries. ("Stop / Start" has 2 batteries in the system). This is causing many of them to have premature battery failure.

The system is supposed to "understand" this condition, and eliminate the stopping and starting process when the battery reaches a certain state of discharge, from constantly cranking the engine. Or when the engine is cold.

It is obviously not doing its job properly, if the owners of many of these vehicles are having to replace expensive batteries every couple of years.

A lot of these people are forced into having to utilize battery maintainers to keep the batteries charged overnight, or when they are not in use. But if you live in an apartment or condo with an outdoor parking lot, you're basically screwed.

As we said. Yet another stupid, useless, overengineered creation by the automotive industry. That in reality has become nothing more than an added expense, by just trying to keep it running. All with little to no benefit.

If you go on the Jeep forums, there are many people having expensive problems with these "Stop / Start" systems. One of the biggest issues many are having, is in regards to those who do short trips and commutes to work in traffic.

(Where "Start / Stop" is utilized the most, by shutting the engine down while waiting at stoplights and such). With accessories like lights, radios, and wipers continuing to operate. Many are finding themselves having to replace both batteries in under 2 years. At a cost of over $1,000.00 at many dealerships.

What happens is, the vehicles end up not being driven enough to recharge the batteries. ("Stop / Start" has 2 batteries in the system). This is causing many of them to have premature battery failure.

The system is supposed to "understand" this condition, and eliminate the stopping and starting process when the battery reaches a certain state of discharge, from constantly cranking the engine. Or when the engine is cold.

It is obviously not doing its job properly, if the owners of many of these vehicles are having to replace expensive batteries every couple of years.

A lot of these people are forced into having to utilize battery maintainers to keep the batteries charged overnight, or when they are not in use. But if you live in an apartment or condo with an outdoor parking lot, you're basically screwed.

As we said. Yet another stupid, useless, overengineered creation by the automotive industry. That in reality has become nothing more than an added expense, by just trying to keep it running. All with little to no benefit.
I’m wearing the paint off the button to disable … You can’t fully stop for 2 seconds at a country road stop sign … engine off 😵‍💫
Carry a new H7 AGM in the back of my Jeep along with jumper cables - figured I’d wait until a nice November day and DIY my way:

I’m wearing the paint off the button to disable … You can’t fully stop for 2 seconds at a country road stop sign … engine off 😵‍💫
Carry a new H7 AGM in the back of my Jeep along with jumper cables - figured I’d wait until a nice November day and DIY my way:

I already have the fused jumper - that AUX14 will look like a block of limestone by the time somebody sees it years from now 😎

My 2018 M550iX with N63TU2 also has a dipstick, but I have only used it a couple times. I don't find the onboard measuring system all that inconvenient to use, but nice to have both options.

Back