No Engine Oil Dipstick

My wife’s new 2024 MINI Cooper Countryman S does not even have a dipstick for checking engine oil. There is a way to check oil level electronically on her infotainment screen, but it’s a little complicated to access, it only works under certain conditions, and it’s not nearly as detailed as viewing a physical dipstick with the naked eye.

Just saw that 2025 Ram pickup trucks will not have engine oil dipsticks unless you choose the base model V6 engine that’s been around for 14 years. None of the optional engines will have dipsticks.

There’s been a lot of debate about this. Some say, “who cares?” pointing out that transmission dipsticks went away several years ago, and other fluids like transfer case and axle fluids don’t have dipsticks. Others say that argument is apples to oranges. Those other fluids don’t require changing nearly as often, and in some cases they won’t even cause immediate disabling of the vehicle if they get low or run dry completely. Engine oil, on the other hand, is critically important.

What do y’all think about this new trend? Personally I’m old fashioned. I want to pull a stick and SEE the oil in my engine. The level, condition, etc. can be immediately identified if I can physically see/smell it. And a dipstick never fails. Electronic sensors do.

My wife’s new 2024 MINI Cooper Countryman S does not even have a dipstick for checking engine oil. There is a way to check oil level electronically on her infotainment screen, but it’s a little complicated to access, it only works under certain conditions, and it’s not nearly as detailed as viewing a physical dipstick with the naked eye.

Just saw that 2025 Ram pickup trucks will not have engine oil dipsticks unless you choose the base model V6 engine that’s been around for 14 years. None of the optional engines will have dipsticks.

There’s been a lot of debate about this. Some say, “who cares?” pointing out that transmission dipsticks went away several years ago, and other fluids like transfer case and axle fluids don’t have dipsticks. Others say that argument is apples to oranges. Those other fluids don’t require changing nearly as often, and in some cases they won’t even cause immediate disabling of the vehicle if they get low or run dry completely. Engine oil, on the other hand, is critically important.

What do y’all think about this new trend? Personally I’m old fashioned. I want to pull a stick and SEE the oil in my engine. The level, condition, etc. can be immediately identified if I can physically see/smell it. And a dipstick never fails. Electronic sensors do.
Agreed, this would really bug me.

I would prefer a sight glass like on some ATV´s, and a oil sensor that reads on a gauge on the dash cluster. I find the dipstick tube often creates a situation in COLD weather that water condensates in the tube and has to be burned off by the engine back into a vapor.

My wife's 2015 Audi A4 quattro didn't come with a dipstick. The engine has a dipstick tube and I removed the plug off it and installed a dipstick. BTW @OFFRD, ECS Tuning is where I got it and they also carry Mini parts, too.

But the reality was when I lived in my first house, I was in a cul-de-sac and could see all my neighbors down the street. Besides me, there was only one guy that ever checked his oil. He was also the only other guy on my street that changed his own oil.

I think most people don't check their oil in the modern era. It is what it is.

My wife's 2015 Audi A4 quattro didn't come with a dipstick. The engine has a dipstick tube and I removed the plug off it and installed a dipstick. BTW @OFFRD, ECS Tuning is where I got it and they also carry Mini parts, too.

But the reality was when I lived in my first house, I was in a cul-de-sac and could see all my neighbors down the street. Besides me, there was only one guy that ever checked his oil. He was also the only other guy on my street that changed his own oil.

I think most people don't check their oil in the modern era. It is what it is.
Yup, these days it's off to the Iffy Lube-or drive 'er til' she blows!

This reminded me of the "app" that my wife's new car has. You can check the a few things like key fob battery strength as well as "Quantity of engine oil". I presume the vehicle has an oil level sensor based on this wording. It does have a dipstick so no need for yelling-at-the-sky comments and needing an app are necessary... 🤣

It's inconvenient and it causes a real problem for the OCD owner who feels he/she must top off in less than 1 liter amounts.

And I just thought of another issue. When the oil does get changed how do you know that the correct amount was just now poured back in there? You can't just use the stick to find out. You have to start the engine, warm it up, meet its criteria, then hopefully view the level (in a vague format) on the screen. And I guess hope that you got it right!

Ugh..

Back