Scion xB (Aisin U241E) checking ATF levels?

I have almost no experience maintaining an automatic transmission but now I own one and I’m not sure how to check the fluid level. The owner’s manual is no help because it just says you should never need to change the fluid.

When I pull the dipstick on a cold stopped engine the fluid level is about an inch above the HOT marks. When I started it and checked again with the engine running it was about a half inch below the COLD marks. Is my ATF too low or too high? What’s the correct procedure for checking the fluid level on this transmission?

Adjust the fluid level to the Cold MINIMUM mark (with engine running) after the vehicle has been sitting overnight.

Do not use the hot marks unless you have access to a scan tool that can read the A/T Oil Temp. The A/T Oil Temp can often be very different than the Engine Coolant Temp; this is something that a lot of folks fail to understand.

I don't remember by xB² being too hard to drain and fill
Took 3.5-4qts of whatever fluid you choose
A scan tool to monitor ATF temperature would be a nice luxury
1000009420.jpg

Adjust the fluid level to the Cold MINIMUM mark (with engine running) after the vehicle has been sitting overnight.

Do not use the hot marks unless you have access to a scan tool that can read the A/T Oil Temp. The A/T Oil Temp can often be very different than the Engine Coolant Temp; this is something that a lot of folks fail to understand.
I check my transmission fluid after an hour or so of continuous driving to get a hot reading. I figure that's as warm as it will get without me driving in sand or towing something.
It works for me even though it's not the correct way.

Back