BMW M Track Day - M cars are impressive

So now we're into a **** swinging contest over M/RS :ROFLMAO: I don't know why you're getting upset about this. I like M cars a lot. I almost bought M2 instead of my car but I changed my mind last minute because six months of the year here the Audi has a very distinct advantage. All I am saying is that these cars very likely have upgraded pads/fluid. That would be true for pretty much any car used in a performance driving environment, even Porsches and Ferraris.

Almost all OE performance brake systems are made by Brembo, at least the calipers. My car has an eight pot Brembo system. So to think one brand can get away with "lesser" pads is a positive? Whatever makes you feel better.
There is a difference:
1. You said they dust. Yes they do. It is a BMW thing forever.
2. No, it does not need to be upgraded. M cars come with already track-capable brakes, cooling etc. Actually, since F series, all BMW's had much more capable cooling systems than Mercedes, Audi, and, well, just for fun, Lexus. BMW 335 from 2012 was coming with either front Brembo (pads were Jurid, 3 types, including track capable S2NHA code. I have them on my E90 retrofit from F30 335).
3. All BMW's, regardless of engine, have brake cooling systems that in Audi's can be found ONLY on RS vehicles. M3's come with far different cooling system that actually has a dedicated cooling line, not just a wheel well opening to direct air.
4. For example, your RS comes with 370mm rotors in front, while M2 comes with 380mm, although weight is back. In back, RS3 comes with 310mm, while M2 with 370mm. Just to give you a difference.

You are assuming that it needs specialty pads. I just checked prices, OE BMW pads (without CC package, which I assume G comes with) are $50 more expensive than Pagid RSL. That tells you what you getting as RSL is usually drastically more expensive.

Because it is :LOL:
Here is the oil temp, didn’t really see it move past this mark

IMG_2713.jpeg

Regarding the brake pads, I don’t know what was on these demo cars nor would I speculate because I know nothing about BMWs, all I know is that they were awesome.

However, if the difference is only in pads, not rotors or calipers, then I don’t see anything wrong with it. Pads are cheap and having different options for the street, track day or full out racing is actually a very good and economical thing. That’s a plus IMO.

Last edited:
There is a difference:
1. You said they dust. Yes they do. It is a BMW thing forever.
2. No, it does not need to be upgraded. M cars come with already track-capable brakes, cooling etc. Actually, since F series, all BMW's had much more capable cooling systems than Mercedes, Audi, and, well, just for fun, Lexus. BMW 335 from 2012 was coming with either front Brembo (pads were Jurid, 3 types, including track capable S2NHA code. I have them on my E90 retrofit from F30 335).
3. All BMW's, regardless of engine, have brake cooling systems that in Audi's can be found ONLY on RS vehicles. M3's come with far different cooling system that actually has a dedicated cooling line, not just a wheel well opening to direct air.
4. For example, your RS comes with 370mm rotors in front, while M2 comes with 380mm, although weight is back. In back, RS3 comes with 310mm, while M2 with 370mm. Just to give you a difference.

You are assuming that it needs specialty pads. I just checked prices, OE BMW pads (without CC package, which I assume G comes with) are $50 more expensive than Pagid RSL. That tells you what you getting as RSL is usually drastically more expensive.

Any semi-metallic pad is going to dust, but a race pad typically dusts a lot more.

Yes you can take a stock M car, RS, Porsche, Ferrari to the track completely stock. Absolutely. That doesn't mean these cars didn't have upgraded pads. If they are dedicated cars that stay at COTA in the M Performance driving center there is pretty much zero chance they are using stock pads/fluid.

My stock front pads are over $1000. I don't know what price has to do with anything.

Regarding the brake pads, I don’t know what was on these demo cars now would I speculate because I know nothing about BMWs, all I know is that they were awesome.

However, if the difference is only in pads, not rotors or calipers, then I don’t see anything wrong with it. Pads are cheap and having different options for the street, track day or full out racing is actually a very good and economical thing. That’s a plus IMO.

Nothing wrong with it. Smart and safer for them to do it.

On my ‘07 the oil temp was too far to the right for some’s liking. They thought the needle should be in the center. BMW adjusted the scale 😂

View attachment 171578
BMW may have buffered the scale. LOL.

IIRC on the early 335i (E90/92) BMW made a dumb decision to only install an aux oil cooler on cars equipped with the Sport Pkg. Shortly thereafter BMW changed that. Did yours have one?

IIRC on the early 335i (E90/92) BMW made a dumb decision to only install an aux oil cooler on cars equipped with the Sport Pkg. Shortly thereafter BMW changed that. Did yours have one?
Yes, mine does! I think manual zsp’s got them…

Any semi-metallic pad is going to dust, but a race pad typically dusts a lot more.

Yes you can take a stock M car, RS, Porsche, Ferrari to the track completely stock. Absolutely. That doesn't mean these cars didn't have upgraded pads. If they are dedicated cars that stay at COTA in the M Performance driving center there is pretty much zero chance they are using stock pads/fluid.

My stock front pads are over $1000. I don't know what price has to do with anything.

Nothing wrong with it. Smart and safer for them to do it.
Many cars have semi-metallic pads, especially older ones, and then, there is BMW semi metallic pads.

Price has to do everything with it. RSL is always more expensive than OE, then there are M pads, Porsche etc. Many Porsche owners run stock pads. However, like with everything, type of track and what exactly owner wants decides type of pad. For this event, there is absolutely no need to run track pad. Also, what is time spent on track by one driver?
The track pad or not issue in vehucles like this, that have exceptional braking system, comes more to how electronic nannies are utilized and how they tax braking system. I never had issue with brake fading, but more with longevity of rear pads on track as ABS uses rear brakes as e.diff function regardless whether TC and ASC are disabled.
Also, going full track pad means not so good cold performance. Unless drivers are pushing vehicles to the limit, and when I say limit, I mean cornering limits, not max speed limits, there is no need.
By the way, M pads on E90 and F30 are popular upgrade to lower trim models as size and design is same. On E90 many use M pad on 335i calipers as pad is same size/design as on M3. Same is on F30. Brembo caliper takes same pad, difference is compound and rotor size.
Fluid? Numerous BMW owner run BMW brake fluid on track as well as oil. I personally would nit, but they do. Ask @MCompact

E90 cooling profile was a reason why F30 and after have overkill cooling system.

Regarding the brake pads, I don’t know what was on these demo cars nor would I speculate because I know nothing about BMWs, all I know is that they were awesome.

Yes. And when I say they didn’t, I don’t mean people would not need to change. And each track requires different pads. Each driver likes different pads. Many drivers put different pads in front and rear so they have bias they like.
If you go on track, pads are hottest discussed issue, even more controversial than oil 😂

Audi RS models with the old Brembo brake calipers (RS3,4,5,6,7 does not matter) warp their brake discs for fun. The new model (19 onwards) RS6 has Akebono calipers with bigger discs and I’ve not had and issues with these warping. People who don’t know what they are buying wanting quiet brakes and complaining about noises can get old fast.

I was driving by VIR a few years back during the work week on business and saw the track was open. Security guard waived me through the gate as I was driving my 540 and it happened to be a BMW track day. I drove back to the garage area and there must have been 40 M cars all lined up with NJ plates (BMW NA cars). Guy in the garage was doing a brake job on one of the M cars and the front rotor he pulled off looked to be the size of a manhole cover. He said these events warp the heck out of these rotors.

Discs warped on track events like these are likely due to people getting the discs red hot then pulling into the pits for a driver swap. Disc then gets too hot in one place (pads holding heat into disc) so warp. If people did a cool down lap first this wouldn’t happen.

Find it interesting many cars have floating calipers in the rear such as M5 and S63…even when ceramic discs..

In E90 with N54/55 here in CO you will see 300 if you only have brick type heat exchanger. With radiator type you can get away. Tuned? You need two oil coolers, one on each side.
Just to clarify, on track 😂.
But, BMW was always market vehicles being track capable, so that was a problem, hence, excessive cooling system on post 2012 vehicles.

Just to clarify, on track 😂.
But, BMW was always market vehicles being track capable, so that was a problem, hence, excessive cooling system on post 2012 vehicles.
What if you’re wheres981 on YouTube 😆

Back