BMW 15k oci

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see anything contradicting API's compatibility stipulation, not even close.

Nothing about preventing sludge either, that's what my post is about.

Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
I don't see anything contradicting API's compatibility stipulation, not even close.

Nothing about preventing sludge either, that's what my post is about.

was the API comment aimed at me? In that case, I must disagree, what I pasted doesn't even scratch the surface, and as you can see, there is LOTS of commentary on different adds competing. The formulations of one finished product is balanced in such a way as to meet a specific performance objective. While I do not deny that most all oils, even non-API spec oils all strive to meet some baseline specs set out by the API, acea, and ilsac, doing this in different ways can have different results. Just look at what I pasted, some talk about detergent/dispersant adds competing and adsorbing specific ways under the conditions of certain basestocks and other adds in solution. If the conditions change due to different oils, the existing adds in currently active tribo-films become marginalized, the chemistry of the new oil may be marginalized or depleted to some extent in the first oci, etc.

Add onto that the fact that so much of the oil spec is concerned with emissions protection... Is there any API spec that mandates true comparability, synergistic protection from various manufacturers, and assured long-life in light of this? Is it specific and explicit? I opened the world of additive competitive adsorption and it's effects on lube performance as truth and reality, now burden of proof is on you to show that the API really cares about the effects of mixing on true long-term lube performance... I'm not saying it doesn't, I'm saying it is not a primary thought in the world of operating lubes. And if it is not a big flag in the world of 60-100k service life, then there are many other criteria to optimize upon. The API ideals may not line up with the BITOGer's ideals for optimizing lubes. The API just needs good enough.

Plenty of UOA when the user went from brand X to Y to Z and wear is normal, normal and normal.

Are we done? I mean, "normal" is normal outside the BitOG Overthinkers Academy....or isn't it...???

See, the thing too is that not one of those documents are directed at the consumer.

To turn it around into proper perspective, one could easily argue the research you cited is intended to MAKE API oils more compatible. Sort of ironic when you think about it.

ok, back to my friend's 550i. As I mentioned earlier, he is going to stick with 7,500 oci's for now. He's a pretty agressive driver and will likely take the car to a closed track as well as some auto cross events. His car has about 55k miles on the odometer. I have two questions I'm hoping you can help with...

1 - The owner's manual recommends either 5-30 or 5-40. The dealership has been putting in 5-30. I told him to go 5w-40...do you guys agree?

2 - what oil should he be looking at? What would you guys recommend?

Originally Posted By: norml
1 - The owner's manual recommends either 5-30 or 5-40. The dealership has been putting in 5-30. I told him to go 5w-40...do you guys agree?

It doesn't matter as long as the oil meets the BMW spec since I'm assuming he's still under warranty.

Quote:

Again, any oil that carries the BMW spec... M1 0w-40, GC, BMW 5w-30, to name a few.

ok, back to my friend's 550i. As I mentioned earlier, he is going to stick with 7,500 oci's for now. He's a pretty agressive driver and will likely take the car to a closed track as well as some auto cross events. His car has about 55k miles on the odometer. I have two questions I'm hoping you can help with...

Mobil 1 0w-40 sounds like a slam-dunk. It has the BMW approval he needs, and it'll do everything he needs it to do: good cold flow for the winter, and good viscosity and protection when things heat up.

"needs"
smirk2.gif

With an 8q sump, extended drain oils are NOT "needed" to go 7500 miles. Any 5w-40 HD or ACEA A3 oil is more than adequate. A single UOA with a TBN would prove this.

Consumption could be a substantial reason not to use a 0w oil, especially Mobil 1.

10 quarts of $8 oil to go 7500 miles is far from cost-effective.

Don't forget to tell him that driving a 550i is far from cost-effective as well.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Mobil 1 0w-40 sounds like a slam-dunk. It has the BMW approval he needs, and it'll do everything he needs it to do: good cold flow for the winter, and good viscosity and protection when things heat up.
So you think stick with 0w-40 year round...even in the summer? Is there any negatives of using 0w-40 vs 5w-40 in the summer?

which is why he's planning on stock up like it's going out of style. AAP has Mobil 1 with filter for $28. With the $10 off coupon, you're looking at under $20 after tax. Stock up with about 40 quarts (and 8 filters), will cost about $160. That's enough for five changes or $32 per change. I don't think that's bad...better than the $100+ the dealership would charge.

^^^ok. my math is a little off. he needs about 8.5 gallons per change and i calculated using 8. Still a decent deal though.

So you think stick with 0w-40 year round...even in the summer?

Absolutely.

Is there any negatives of using 0w-40 vs 5w-40 in the summer?

This is a complex topic.

Here's the short answer: Yes, technically a 5w-40 would have an advantage, all-else-equal. The catch here is, this 0w-40 happens to be built better than most 5w-40s you can buy off the shelf, and it has a better track record than almost any off-the-shelf oil of any kind (Porsche uses it as factory and service fill in their entire model range, including their >8,000 RPM and turbocharged engines; some race teams use it straight out of the bottle; etc.).

In other words, if there were a Mobil 1 5w-40 that had the same certifications as the 0w-40, you might want the 5w-40. But there isn't, and the 0w-40 is more than good enough anyway.

Does that make sense?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Don't forget to tell him that driving a 550i is far from cost-effective as well.

Which is why $100 oil changes makes even less sense.

which is why he's planning on stock up like it's going out of style. AAP has Mobil 1 with filter for $28. With the $10 off coupon, you're looking at under $20 after tax. Stock up with about 40 quarts (and 8 filters), will cost about $160. That's enough for five changes or $32 per change. I don't think that's bad...better than the $100+ the dealership would charge.

I didn't think the $10 coupons were in effect.

Before settling on a OCI with Mobil 1 0w-40, maybe take a look at this recent BMW UOA to get an idea of the state of affairs.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1783150#Post1783150

Like I said there, timed seasonal changes are more ideal than counting miles.

I'd have a look at the Mobil 1 Hi-Miles line in jugs or Rotella 5w-40. I'd try some oils before stocking anything, or as Pete opted, German Syntec if you feel the need to stock-up. Castrol is the official oil of BMW, as impressive the BMW 5w-30 is, German Syntec may have the leg-up....on all of the mentioned oils. My experience was extremely low consumption and decent mpg. I'd say too GC is better in cold than M1 0w-40, et al.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
This is a complex topic.

Here's the short answer: Yes, technically a 5w-40 would have an advantage, all-else-equal. The catch here is, this 0w-40 happens to be built better than most 5w-40s you can buy off the shelf, and it has a better track record than almost any off-the-shelf oil of any kind (Porsche uses it as factory and service fill in their entire model range, including their >8,000 RPM and turbocharged engines; some race teams use it straight out of the bottle; etc.).

In other words, if there were a Mobil 1 5w-40 that had the same certifications as the 0w-40, you might want the 5w-40. But there isn't, and the 0w-40 is more than good enough anyway.

Does that make sense?
yes, thanks

I didn't think the $10 coupons were in effect.

unless we're talking about different coupons. I'm referring to the grand opening coupons - I've been to four different places that take the coupons without any issues.

Before settling on a OCI with Mobil 1 0w-40, maybe take a look at this recent BMW UOA to get an idea of the state of affairs.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1783150#Post1783150

Like I said there, timed seasonal changes are more ideal than counting miles.

I'd have a look at the Mobil 1 Hi-Miles line in jugs or Rotella 5w-40. I'd try some oils before stocking anything, or as Pete opted, German Syntec if you feel the need to stock-up. Castrol is the official oil of BMW, as impressive the BMW 5w-30 is, German Syntec may have the leg-up....on all of the mentioned oils. My experience was extremely low consumption and decent mpg. I'd say too GC is better in cold than M1 0w-40, et al.
Good points. Thanks for the advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back