Being Thankful

Sometimes it can be incredibly difficult to find things to be thankful for.
Life deals us some harsh hands, and we get angry, sad, give up, and numerous other emotions. But hopefully later on we can find something to be thankful for.
2022 was the worst year of my life.
My wife, eldest daughter, son in law, and one of my two granddaughters were in a vehicle, that was hit head on by a drunk driver, and the only survivor was the drunk.
I was so angry that all I could think of was killing the woman who killed my loved ones.
I've been through about every emotional thing since then, and cried more tears than I knew was possible.
Its been 10 months, and my life has greatly changed.
Instead of working 70 or 80 hours a week, now I work about 20 to 30. Sold off 3/4 of my business, moved, and am raising my granddaughter as my own now.
So thankful for the amazing lady who married me and put up with me for 34 years. The amazing daughter God blessed me with so many years. A great son in law. A granddaughter who gave me much laughter before she was taken away far too young.
Most of all I am thankful for my youngest daughter, taking her niece with her that tragic day. They are alive because they weren't in the vehicle, but had gone horseback riding together.
I was driving truck, which I had done many thousands of days in my life, being a truck driver, and owning a trucking company.
My granddaughter has since turned 6, and she is awesome.
My youngest daughter moved back home, quit her job, and helps me run the business.
There isn't a day goes by now that I do not feel so blessed to have them both in my life.
No idea what the future holds for us.
But I wasn't around much when my girls were growing up, but my wife did a great job of being a mother, and raised two amazing children.
Now I am spending a lot of time raising my granddaughter.
She brings me much happiness.

What are you thankful for?
Even if what you now are blessed by, came out of adversity.

Last edited:
That would be difficult. I am glad to hear you making it forward, and are able to do so--I can not imagine. Or I should say, I don't want to imagine it.

Best of luck, although it sounds like you are doing well.

Well I’m happy you at least have your granddaughter and hopefully lots of memories from the rest of your family. Nothing will ever be more valuable than the time spent with the ones you love. I would never ever step behind the wheel of a vehicle after drinking and would never get in a vehicle that someone who was drinking was behind the wheel. One thing I’ve always done is take a picture with my family at all opportunities. As much as I don’t like my picture being taken it’s worth it because you just never know and you want the memories for both you and your family. A picture is a small thing but it’s something.

I’m thankful for everything in my life, small things, big things all of it. Family time is one of the things I value the most for the reasons you mentioned. Never know when that all might go away. No money or time is more valuable than that spent with your family. Growing up I wish i would have gotten to spend more time with my sister we are 10 years apart and she was always gone on evenings and weekends from the time she was about 14 on because she wanted to spend time with her friends. She moved out at 18. I wish we weren’t so far apart in age. But we are completely opposite I’m an introvert and want to go everywhere my parents go so they can talk to people whereas she always wanted to go out on her own and interact with others and teach them farming. I sure as heck would struggle with that. But she has taught me a lot about growing plants and flowers and everything so I’m thankful for that. I’m also thankful that I have a family who loves me and lets me live at their house rent and bill free besides insurance. And they put up with me so I’m thankful for that anyway because I can be stubborn at times.

I’m thankful for everything truly. I’m thankful that I was saved as a baby/ toddler because I had major seizures as a baby and toddler and I stopped breathing for hours and they thought I was a goner the first time because I was all blue and everything by the time they found me as I had them in the early morning hours in my sleep. Luckily my mom a former EMT preformed CPR and saved my life amazingly. My brain had gotten too big for my heart at the time and my heart couldn’t keep up. The second time I was declared legally dead but I snapped out of that one too. It was during the day but I went almost instantly. That left me with many learning disabilities and stuff but I had awesome teachers that helped me get through. So I will always be thankful for the teachers, my mom and all the doctors and nurses and ambulance drivers that helped me. And my dad for covering the bills.

One thing recently that I’m thankful for is all the members here who made my 21st birthday awesome last month. It’s one I will always remember and each time I use one of the tools I received I think of them. Sometimes it’s just the little things you remember.

Well I’m happy you at least have your granddaughter and hopefully lots of memories from the rest of your family. Nothing will ever be more valuable than the time spent with the ones you love. I would never ever step behind the wheel of a vehicle after drinking and would never get in a vehicle that someone who was drinking was behind the wheel. One thing I’ve always done is take a picture with my family at all opportunities. As much as I don’t like my picture being taken it’s worth it because you just never know and you want the memories for both you and your family. A picture is a small thing but it’s something.

I’m thankful for everything in my life, small things, big things all of it. Family time is one of the things I value the most for the reasons you mentioned. Never know when that all might go away. No money or time is more valuable than that spent with your family. Growing up I wish i would have gotten to spend more time with my sister we are 10 years apart and she was always gone on evenings and weekends from the time she was about 14 on because she wanted to spend time with her friends. She moved out at 18. I wish we weren’t so far apart in age. But we are completely opposite I’m an introvert and want to go everywhere my parents go so they can talk to people whereas she always wanted to go out on her own and interact with others and teach them farming. I sure as heck would struggle with that. But she has taught me a lot about growing plants and flowers and everything so I’m thankful for that. I’m also thankful that I have a family who loves me and lets me live at their house rent and bill free besides insurance. And they put up with me so I’m thankful for that anyway because I can be stubborn at times.

I’m thankful for everything truly. I’m thankful that I was saved as a baby/ toddler because I had major seizures as a baby and toddler and I stopped breathing for hours and they thought I was a goner the first time because I was all blue and everything by the time they found me as I had them in the early morning hours in my sleep. Luckily my mom a former EMT preformed CPR and saved my life amazingly. My brain had gotten too big for my heart at the time and my heart couldn’t keep up. The second time I was declared legally dead but I snapped out of that one too. It was during the day but I went almost instantly. That left me with many learning disabilities and stuff but I had awesome teachers that helped me get through. So I will always be thankful for the teachers, my mom and all the doctors and nurses and ambulance drivers that helped me. And my dad for covering the bills.

One thing recently that I’m thankful for is all the members here who made my 21st birthday awesome last month. It’s one I will always remember and each time I use one of the tools I received I think of them. Sometimes it’s just the little things you remember.

Beautiful!
Thanks for sharing.
I vaguely remember being just 21.

My wife was only 17 when we began dating, I was 19.
That was so long ago.

A wonderful story my friend. As I always tell you, family is everything as you know so well. A touching story indeed.

Sometimes it can be incredibly difficult to find things to be thankful for.
Life deals us some harsh hands, and we get angry, sad, give up, and numerous other emotions. But hopefully later on we can find something to be thankful for.
2022 was the worst year of my life.
My wife, eldest daughter, son in law, and one of my two granddaughters were in a vehicle, that was hit head on by a drunk driver, and the only survivor was the drunk.
I was so angry that all I could think of was killing the woman who killed my loved ones.
I've been through about every emotional thing since then, and cried more tears than I knew was possible.
Its been 10 months, and my life has greatly changed.
Instead of working 70 or 80 hours a week, now I work about 20 to 30. Sold off 3/4 of my business, moved, and am raising my granddaughter as my own now.
So thankful for the amazing lady who married me and put up with me for 34 years. The amazing daughter God blessed me with so many years. A great son in law. A granddaughter who gave me much laughter before she was taken away far too young.
Most of all I am thankful for my youngest daughter, taking her niece with her that tragic day. They are alive because they weren't in the vehicle, but had gone horseback riding together.
I was driving truck, which I had done many thousands of days in my life, being a truck driver, and owning a trucking company.
My granddaughter has since turned 6, and she is awesome.
My youngest daughter moved back home, quit her job, and helps me run the business.
There isn't a day goes by now that I do not feel so blessed to have them both in my life.
No idea what the future holds for us.
But I wasn't around much when my girls were growing up, but my wife did a great job of being a mother, and raised two amazing children.
Now I am spending a lot of time raising my granddaughter.
She brings me much happiness.

What are you thankful for?
Even if what you now are blessed by, came out of adversity.
Thank you for posting this. It is a reminder for me not to take things for granted, that things and life can change in an instant.

I cannot imagine.

I was diagnosed with stage 3 parotid gland cancer in January of 2022. Surgery removed the gland, 60 lymph nodes and the facial nerve on my left side. Some reconstructive surgery, chemo and proton therapy as well. A year later, 3 scans showed no sign of cancer. My attitude was always that it had picked the wrong SOB to mess with, but without friends and family it would have been a rough go. My mother-in-law has Alzheimers and was living with us so that my wife could take care of her and she had to take care of me as well. She never faltered and saw to it that I had everything that I needed to weather this storm. I didn't marry until I was 41 and she is well worth the wait. Friends made sure that I didn't feel isolated, offered help with chores and doctor visits and kept God busy with prayers. Doctors always commented that I never seemed down about all of this and I would tell them that I had too many people holding me up to get down. I wouldn't wish this on anyone, but it has given me a greater appreciation for this life, for the family and friends that I have.

I was diagnosed with stage 3 parotid gland cancer in January of 2022. Surgery removed the gland, 60 lymph nodes and the facial nerve on my left side. Some reconstructive surgery, chemo and proton therapy as well. A year later, 3 scans showed no sign of cancer. My attitude was always that it had picked the wrong SOB to mess with, but without friends and family it would have been a rough go. My mother-in-law has Alzheimers and was living with us so that my wife could take care of her and she had to take care of me as well. She never faltered and saw to it that I had everything that I needed to weather this storm. I didn't marry until I was 41 and she is well worth the wait. Friends made sure that I didn't feel isolated, offered help with chores and doctor visits and kept God busy with prayers. Doctors always commented that I never seemed down about all of this and I would tell them that I had too many people holding me up to get down. I wouldn't wish this on anyone, but it has given me a greater appreciation for this life, for the family and friends that I have.

Amazing!
What a wonderful story.
Thanks for sharing that.

I'm so sorry you and your grand daughter have had to go through that. I'm glad you're able to slash your work hours to spend time with her.

Alcohol is my most hated thing. My mom died 7 weeks ago of cirrhosis.

I grew up with alcoholic parents, its terrible how much some people drink.
Since I was 19 I've had a rule for myself, no more than 1 drink per month. I have a family history of alcoholics, grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, siblings. So I was careful not to go down the same path.

WOW.

I cannot imagine to relate to such a loss. There is one person I know who went through the fire like you. He came out ok, sounds like you have too.

What am I thankful for?

To be alive, to have decent health, and to have some good company in my corner. I am also thankful for my mistakes, and the roads they led me down. Many forget that.

Sounds like you are a force to be reckoned with, and you granddaughter is lucky to have you.

Back