Giving your stuff away...

I thought of an interesting one, have you ever given a car away for free (driveable and inspectable), and/or received one?

I have had both occur. A car is very beneficial to most people.

Anyone else giving stuff away in your older age? Good things you don't use anymore.

Gave my Granddaughter my 2018 Subaru Forester. Nice graduation present and she had a Ford before, that was getting rusty.
Daughter and husband each got vintage older S&W revolvers. and ammo.
Daughter got my Sous vide cooker and dehydrator.

Younger Brother got my CZ 527 Varmint rifle with Nikon Monarch 3 scope.
Son got snow blower, leaf blower and string trimmer. Plus I had a plumber replace his toilet while he was doing mine.

Ex-coworker got my push mower. (single Mom and my best friend)

Need to weed out cooking gadgets that I no longer use.

Am I the only one planning before my death, and giving stuff to people that will appreciate and use them?
Not so much because I'm older, I'm over 50, but just decluttering. We went down from a 3 car to a 2 car garage when we sold and moved out farther so I had to get rid of stuff I was just holding onto.

I had 6 crates of bicycle stuff and at least 8 spare wheels, a couple of frames I was looking to build up, and so forth. I gave away probably $1500-$2000 of my stash bicycle parts, frames, wheels and odds and ends. I donated them to Yellow Bike Project which specializes in low cost bikes for the community and helping people to work on their own bikes. Just didn't have room for it anymore and it needed to be gone. I will take a tax writeoff on my 2023 taxes for sure. I'm down to 2 crates now and a couple spare wheels, no spare frames around waiting for a project anymore.

There were a lot of other odds and ends that departed as well. We gave away a bunch of stuff to the local Brazilian diaspora because my wife is Brazilian.

I drew a red line on my garage tools though. Not getting rid of any of those no matter what wifey says. I'm not departing with my distributor wrench even though we don't have any cars with distributors. I will again someday ;)

Trying to avoid that, and reverse the storage on to them! LOL

I know this way, they store the stuff and I could borrow it if needed.
Old age brings wisdom. Plus this way, they can just haul it out one piece at a time.
My Dad does that to my brother.

I'm 3000 miles away, so a bit harder to do.

Anyone else giving stuff away in your older age? Good things you don't use anymore.

Gave my Granddaughter my 2018 Subaru Forester. Nice graduation present and she had a Ford before, that was getting rusty.

Son got snow blower, leaf blower and string trimmer. Plus I had a plumber replace his toilet while he was doing mine.

Am I the only one planning before my death, and giving stuff to people that will appreciate and use them?
Gave my son my self propelled mower when I bought a zero turn for myself. I gave him a stand by 1100 watt generator when I had a Generac installed. I've given numerous cars away, never traded one in.

you cant take it with you.........why not.

My wife of 42 years passed recently, so I am knee deep in her death cleaning and realized just last PM that I am also doing my own.

Highly recommend "The Gentle Art of Swedish Death Cleaning" by Margareta Magnusson. Very thin book, easy read, thought provoking.

My boss would love to give away the three night shift workers. Pretty useless and blowing vehicles up recently.

I gave some of my jeans, boots etc to my neighbor who is always walking or working on something.

I give my stuff away to friends. for example I had a Colt frontier single action my friend really liked and after about ten years of ownership I gave it to him He is a wonderful friend . One of my 3 brothers from another mother.

What amazes me today is often someone will ask if we want something. Then they attach a price to it. Times have changed imho.

My friend gave me a 1970 LeMans Sport that I drove almost a year. Today for a similar car someone might say they want $500 😂

I also had someone say they were gonna give me a 1979 Monte Carlo only 5 years old but then he gave it to someone else. Key is gave it for free.

It is a good feeling, right? I gave away my lawnmower and now my buddy’s used it 2 years.

He makes more money than I do so it’s not the money. It’s that he can avoid having to get a new one, I can help out and free up shed space

Back