Giving your stuff away...

Anyone else giving stuff away in your older age? Good things you don't use anymore.

Gave my Granddaughter my 2018 Subaru Forester. Nice graduation present and she had a Ford before, that was getting rusty.
Daughter and husband each got vintage older S&W revolvers. and ammo.
Daughter got my Sous vide cooker and dehydrator.

Younger Brother got my CZ 527 Varmint rifle with Nikon Monarch 3 scope.
Son got snow blower, leaf blower and string trimmer. Plus I had a plumber replace his toilet while he was doing mine.

Ex-coworker got my push mower. (single Mom and my best friend)

Need to weed out cooking gadgets that I no longer use.

Am I the only one planning before my death, and giving stuff to people that will appreciate and use them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Ha! My grown kids use me for storage! LOL!
Trying to avoid that, and reverse the storage on to them! LOL

I know this way, they store the stuff and I could borrow it if needed.
Old age brings wisdom. Plus this way, they can just haul it out one piece at a time.

I have found it easier to put inexpensive stuff out at the curb with a free sign than trying to sell it on FB marketplace etc. I have been getting rid of a bunch of stuff since we are empty nesters now. Almost had a fist fight in front of my house when I put out an old chest freezer!

Over the past few years, my mom has gone through the decline and passing of both of her parents. Going back about ten years, they had a large log house and property with numerous furnished rooms, antiques, etc. Thankfully, my grandparents had the good sense to start scaling down and simplifying while they still could. As a result, the work involved in dealing with the estate was far more manageable. Now my parents are following suit and purging unnecessary clutter. I'm thankful.

Just place it on your front porch after putting it all in a big sealed box with a Fedex shipping label. Someone will pick it up and take it away.

I'm not trying to get rid of junk here, it is all good stuff!

I could have probably sold the Subaru for $15,000
The old S&W revolvers for around $1000 each.

I have an old 1958 Fender guitar too, that needs a new home. Those are high priced as well.
My kids don't play guitar. Also have my Mom's early 1900's violin to give away.

Should sell the stuff and retire. (Oh wait, I'm already retired) ;)

My wife and I are officially in our 50s and can't wait to start giving stuff away to our two kids.

My wife is a collector. I can't wait to just shuck it all and get a place that has no need for lawnmowers or an HOA.

As I age I’m finding I don’t want to spend time dealing with clutter, stuff or things. The things that I haven’t used in years need to find new homes. Goodwill is a favorite of mine.

You know what that condition is called right ?

Hoarders … :LOL:
Looking at my house now, I can't deny it. I was ok until I brought in a couple of trailer loads of stuff I couldn't part with from my parents estate.
Someday those VHS tapes will come back into fashon...
Actually, I'm ready to start shedding stuff.

after dealing with the hoard my parent's bequeathed to me
I decided it was time to break the cycle.
go thru things and periodically gift them to Goodwill, a Pay it Forward donation site sight or the dump.

Not me but my buddy got divorced and he moved from a mcmansion into a 2 bed condo.

One item was a $1400 Weber. Gave it to a church buddy and told him no don’t want any money, just enjoy it. He also gave away his surround sound and tv.

Gave his Lincoln Navigator L to his bro.

He genuinely seems content to not care about material items anymore.

Back