New Kia Rio

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have 20 miles on it now, so we can give it a good, comprehensive review :^)

We weren't looking for one, I was just trying to find something affordable with a decent warranty as the oldest is moving a short distance away, and I didn't want her taking the older Taurus with 140k miles on it. It runs fine but it's old enough to need stuff like an alternator (a few months back), starter, etc., and I don't want to be paying a dealer somewhere to fix it. So, I started with the Edmunds list of economy cars, looked at the US News & World list, and working my down getting depressed at prices I noticed a couple of Kias on the top half of the list. Checking the Kia website they advertised a small SUV lease for $129 a month, so I found some local dealer websites to check it out.

One local dealer also had a Rio as a loss leader, so I compared the two. The SUV was a manual, $129 a month for 36 months, but the mileage seemed to be almost what I get in my 3/4 ton pickup. The Rio had an MSRP of $11.6k, but as a loss leader it was $7.6k net price. No AC or radio, it has rack & pinion steering, 5 spd, steel wheels, but decent crash ratings, 5yr/60k mile bumber to bumper with roadside assistance for the same, and a 100k mile powertrain warranty. Since it was about half price of what I was looking at earlier, I thought about it, and a few seconds later got it. A new 2008 1.6L DOHC 16 valve Rio, a surprisingly spunky car to drive, more so than the 87 Civic that we had.

It seems quiter than the newer Taurus, the Conti tires on the Taurus are loud, and being a stick more fun to drive (for me at least). Now I'll have fun teaching my daughter to drive a stick, will feel more comfortable that she has a newer car, and am glad to be able to keep the older Taurus close to home as it's running nicely, with clean metal looking inside the oil fill cap.

Anyway, take a look around, and good hunting.

New, off the lot. It's EPA rated for something like 27 city 32 hwy, apparently not too different as it seems to be geared a tad low to take advantage of the smaller engine, so it's turning something like 3000 rpm at 65 mph or so. Nice tradeoff for use on hills.

I have an 06 auto with air. The manual is geared all wrong for the highway unlike the auto. It turns a ton of revs on the highway, that's the only compliant manual owners seem to have.

I'm closing in on 50k trouble free miles myself, just basic maintenance. For the money its been great and its still worth 8k not bad for how cheap it was initially.

Sounds like a great deal. No power steering == awesome, IMO, on a car that size.

3000 RPM at 65 is pretty normal for a 5 speed MT small 4 banger these days. The Civic w/ a larger 1.8L engine turns about 2800 (i.e. practically the same). I know it's been said already but beating EPA shouldn't be a problem.

1st fillup at 276 miles is 31 mpg, almost all city driivng. As a comparison we get a low of 17mpg and typically 20 to 21 mpg in either Taurus as we live on a hill. My son has learned to get 16 to 17 mpg in his 92 F150 with a 4.9L and a 5 spd stick, and I get 17 to 18 mpg in my 3/4 ton diesel pickup with a 5 spd. Fun car to drive.

So far the only thing I'd like to see in it is a dehumidifier, as opposed to A/C. I'm thinking of of an A/C system with maybe 1/3 or less of the capacity needed for cooling, just to dry the windows off when used with warm air.

There is lot to be said for base model cars (strippers). Any parts that aren't on the car can't fail.
grin2.gif

My old 89 mazda 323 1.6 liter turned 3500 at 65 mph. Seems to be an Asian engineering philosopy. While it felt effortless at 65 the aero drag at 75 made the final drive ratio start to make sense again.

A dealer around here is selling a used rio for $9000, and the warranty gets chopped for the 2nd owner. Congrats on a great buy!

Another update, now that the Kumho something 16 tires have a few miles on them the road noise is perhaps as expected, a bit louder than the Taurus.

My mom has an 06 Rio lx sedan as her mode of transportation. Even with the slushbox, its pretty spunky and it always gets close to 30 mpg driving around town. The only work she has had done in 20k miles or so is the brakes. Great value. I just wish the Rio 5 didn't have such a huge price premium over the sedan.

Just traded in our 2006 Dodge Caravan for a 2008 Kia Rio5. I got the EX Conv package which has quite alot of options for a inexpensive car. Warrenty is fabulous and the Rio 5 has lots of room...more then my ZX5 Focus. I said i would never own a forgien car but the way the enconomy is going and the gas going up...I'll give it a try. I figure it should be good in winter since its rollin on 14" pizza cutters !

Update on the Rio ..... the clutch made it thru my daughter's learning how to use a stick lessons. The breakthrough was looking carefully at her starting and shifting technique, which was pretty bad and not improving, and realizing that she was trying to use clutch by raising and lowering her foot. After showing her how to get better control by placing her heel on the floor and rotating her foot about her heel she improved dramatically and was driving fine in a couple of days.

I was a bit worried as it need top off oil when checked at each tank of gas but at over 1k miles seems to have broken in and doesn't need any now. No problems, decent enough mileage, and a fun car to drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back