Best Used Hatchback?

I used to own a Honda Civic, put about 200k miles on it. It was a good reliable car. I now have a Mazda3, it's as reliable as the Honda was, and more fun to drive. For reliability it's hard to go wrong with the big Japanese brands Honda, Toyota, Mazda, Nissan. I prefer manual stick shifts for fun, reliability, simplicity and longevity.

New plug-in hybrid, tax credit / rebates = same or cheaper than a used 'regular' hatchback.
Kia Niro
Hyundai Ioniq
Prius Prime - Might not be many in FL, but NE area has tons with $4-5k off the top from Toyota

I think the Elantra GT has rear AC vents that are at the end of the center console. Elantra sedans do not have them. Being the OP is in Florida, that is a nice feature.

I'd add the Elantra GT to your list.
I have 2 Elantra GT 2018.
It's the best over looked hatch back out there.
The car is as close to perfect as you can get.
Go's around corners and long curves like a go cart.
Great 6 speed automatic, never misses a shift and does it fast.
And has enough power for almost any situation.
Find and drive one.

Hatchback? The late model Honda Civic can be had in a hatchback. I don’t know if you have to opt for the civic sport or if the standard trim has it. My son has a 2018 civic sport, hatchback with the 1.5T and it’s been a great vehicle. We like it a lot, and he moves himself in and out of college in it.

I think I'm getting that you want an automatic, but I'll go ahead and suggest a '12-up Focus SE, SEL, Titanium or ST, as long as you stay away from the PowerShift in the non-ST. I think they're great cars if you don't factor in the DCT.

Before you buy a Hyundai or Kia check out this link. It mostly criticizes Canada's recall system but it could just as well be a criticism of Hyundai/Kia.

Yes engines can fail for many reasons. And maybe their vehicles don't catch on fire in the US. And maybe their "state of the art system to catch a failing engine" works better in the US. Personally I'd just steer clear of them.

Mazda 3 with Skyactive engines. 2015 and up. Good looking and handle beautifully.
Six speed auto. I'm a little biased with a 2017 Grand Touring model, but have 94,000 miles and only had to put Mazda brake pads at 75,000 not needed yet, but figured I do them and changed spark plugs. Oil gets changed every 5000 miles runs and handles beautifully with the 2.5 motor.
Has all of the bells and whistles. Heads up display , radar cruise control, nav, bose, leather, power drivers seat, heated steering wheel and seats, dual climate control, auto braking, blind spot, sunroof etc.etc.
I have to agree I love this little hatch. Decent mpg, and fun to drive.

Attachments

• 3E6196D8-7E9B-4B85-84A1-1E2B9049F69A.jpeg
    3E6196D8-7E9B-4B85-84A1-1E2B9049F69A.jpeg
    113.9 KB · Views: 4
I was going to say, check out the Kia Rondo too, but it seems its sold in Canada but not the US since 2011. If you've got kids or dogs I'd always recommend going full wagon over a hatch, as cargo space and rear passenger space is nice and I always seem to be hauling stuff, either in, or on my cars which have the integrated quiet factory roof racks. Golf Sportwagen is it, in that year range though. The 2wd little SUV's might be similar prices and offer similar cargo space. Escape, RAV4, Mazda5 etc

Back