Hatchback with Decent Performance

Was my Trans Am a hatchback? What about the Kia Stinger? How does the rs7 differ structurally?
.A “Hatch” opens the whole rear of the car INCLUDING the rear window. See the pic I posted of the RS7 hatchback.
See the Civic Hatchback vs the Civic Sedan…similar yet different.
Trans Am, Stinger? You tell me. Hatch or trunk lid back there?

Last edited:
Kind of pathetic cargo space though 21 cuft, slightly less than a 2012-18 Focus hatch, similar acceleration... The regular Corolla-cross gets similar mileage to the old Focus, but is much much slower.
An awd golf sportwagen I think beats almost any compact SUV at everything, but ride height, and their resale value shows that lots of people feel the same, but they are gone...
And that Corolla Cross is very expensive for what it is too.

Was my Trans Am a hatchback? What about the Kia Stinger? How does the rs7 differ structurally?
Camaro and Stinger pictured…I call them hatchbacks
6EC2BADD-365F-4351-9C9F-BC2AAC90CFEB.jpeg
2D276107-EFA0-4BBB-B0C0-E4C4F9701D5D.jpeg

I’m going to humbly suggest this - Volvo V70R - lots of room for gear, 300 HP turbo, six speed manual, Brembo four piston calipers at all four corners, AWD. They also seem to be going up in value as production was only from 2004-2007.

IMG_2666.jpeg

Configured for ski season as shown.

Last edited:
Never once will you find anyone referring to them as a hot hatch.
Oh a hot hatch is a specific thing. Plenty of cars with hatches that aren’t the same thing. No one calls a Model S a hatch. I’m not sure that an Acura Integra Type S counts as one. The original Type R definitely wasn’t. I don’t think I’ve heard any one call it that. Wasn’t the Camaro type called a fastback?

Oh a hot hatch is a specific thing. Plenty of cars with hatches that aren’t the same thing. No one calls a Model S a hatch. I’m not sure that an Acura Integra Type S counts as one. The original Type R definitely wasn’t. I don’t think I’ve heard any one call it that. Wasn’t the Camaro type called a fastback?
Nah man, A Toyota Sienna is a hatchback according to this forum, and Im running with this, rofl!

AWD turbo Toyota hatchback! Oh cool, Carolla GR? Nah fam...close though!

Hmmm... what about a Saab 900/II or 9-3 I?

If you are used to these, you will find most modern cars severely lacking regarding cargo space (and usability of said space). Fold the rear seat down, remove front wheel, throw bike in the back... you won't be able to do that with many modern hatches.

Modern hatchbacks available with decent handlind and power that come to my mind:
- Kia Stinger
- Opel Insignia (sold as a Buick Regal on your side of the pond)

I have no idea if they would take a bike, though. Also depends on the bike. A road bike is easier to stow away than a downhill mountain bike...
Chances of success will be much greater with a "wagon"/estate car. Volvo V70 would be my first choice. E-class T-model has insane cargo space, too. 5 series Touring is a bit tighter, 3 series Touring plus bike may be a very tight squeeze. Insignia Sports Tourer (or it's Buick equivalent, if there is any) would do. Jetta Wagon or Passat...

Last edited:

If you are used to these, you will find most modern cars severely lacking regarding cargo space (and usability of said space). Fold the rear seat down, remove front wheel, throw bike in the back... you won't be able to do that with many modern hatches.

Modern hatchbacks available with decent handlind and power that come to my mind: I
. Kia Stinger

I have no idea if they would take a bike, though. Also depends on the bike. A road bike is easier to stow away than a downhill mountain bike...
Chances of success will be much greater with a "wagon"/estate car. Volvo V70 would be my first choice. E-class T-model has insane cargo space, too. 5 series Touring is a bit tighter, 3 series Touring plus bike may be a very tight squeeze. Insignia Sports Tourer (or it's Buick equivalent, if there is any) would do. Jetta Wagon or Passat...
Saab 900 was great for this, I owned one for a bit. Really easy to load and unload. Wide open and low to the ground. Just like that TransAm in an earlier post.

Modern hatchbacks available with decent handlind and power that come to my mind:
- Kia Stinger

All of that and didn’t mention the GTI. It may be the most jack of all trades car that has ever existed. What you suggest loading a bike removing a wheel would definitely work.

All of that and didn’t mention the GTI. It may be the most jack of all trades car that has ever existed. What you suggest loading a bike removing a wheel would definitely work.
I'm leaning in this direction. I test drove one last week and liked it a lot.

Back