2015 Mazda3 I Grand Touring

My grand niece's beat (but dependable) '16 Corolla strippie was totaled as she was coming home from work about 10:30 PM a week ago; the other party's insurance gave her $13K. Score! Everyone's fine...
I found a clean little 2015 Mazda3 sedan right around the corner with 80,200 on the clock; asking $11,800 but took $11,400 cash.
I never knew much about Mazdas, but after renting one in San Diego for the day was impressed, vs. my Civic/Corolla standard. Owners seem to love 'em.
I am servicing the heck outta it and will deliver it to San Diego next week. Dang thing has BSM, heated seats (in San Diego?), Navi and a lot more. It ain't no strippie. Has original plugs and I'm sure the trans needs a service so the plugs and FZ fluid are on order from RA.

I really like this car. Drain plug takes an 8mm Allen key.
1710360346848.jpg

1710360370532.jpg

1710360413845.jpg

1710360437463.jpg

Last edited:
Mazda offers an optional non allen drain plug, HE03-10-404, for those. I think it uses a 17mm socket.

They are great cars. If I had a need for one, I would get a Mazda 3 in a heartbeat. They were hands down better than the Focus (not ST or RS) of the same time period.

Both 2.0 and 2.5L engines are nice, so is 6 speed automatic transmission.

No need to replace transmission filter, just drain and refill. Should take approx 3.5 quarts to refill.
It’s easy to refill if you remove air box.

How are the brakes ?

Both 2.0 and 2.5L engines are nice, so is 6 speed automatic transmission.

No need to replace transmission filter, just drain and refill. Should take approx 3.5 quarts to refill.
It’s easy to refill if you remove air box.

How are the brakes ?
I flipped up the driver side front caliper; tons of pad and rotor is fine. The slider pin moved freely and was lightly lubed.
Either original or nicely re-shod. Heck, this car is really nice.

Thanks for the trans tip; I will do a spill and fill. My friend @The Critic told me the same thing. I wonder what Mazda wants for the FZ fluid? Probably an arm and a leg. I ordered 4 qts of Aisin FZ from RA.

I have a 2014 Mazda 3 I bought in 2015. Still going strong with 190k.

Aisin fz is what I currently have in it. Previously maxlife.

You might want to check and/or go ahead and replace the valve cover and vvt solenoid gasket. Known to leak.

Felix Dan on YouTube has several good videos on skyactiv maintenance.

I've used all different kinds of oil and filters and never had an issue. Currently qsup 5w30 with wix filter. Running great.

Don't know anything about those Mazda 3's but I've been a Mazda engine fan ever since my days with the little 4 cylinder in my Ford Festiva's. :LOL: These do look pretty good but almost 12k for an 80k car is a bit higher than what I'd expect but perhaps it's different out west. She has some wheels again so I'm sure it'll work out.

Don’t forget wiper blades, cabin filter, air filter, brake fluid if turning dark.

It's a solid reliable car that is fun to drive. A stiffer rear swaybar, Racing Beat +20% springs, and Koni shocks add to the fun, transforming it into just about the funnest that front wheel drive can be. Ask me how I know :p

Just FYI, there were 2 service bulletins for my 2014. One for one of the fluid damped engine mounts (https://www.tsbsearch.com/Mazda/01-012-16), one for a rattle near the base of the A pillars (https://www.tsbsearch.com/Mazda/09-001-14).

I found a clean little 2015 Mazda3 sedan right around the corner with 80,200 on the clock; asking $11,800 but took $11,400 cash.
That's a pretty decent deal for that year, with that mileage in your area. It would go for at least that here, and even more if a dealership had it. Mazda3s are pretty reliable vehicles ... it's got lots of life in it even with 80K already on the clock.

Back