I think the ol' Corolla is on her last legs...

So what's difference between the 1.5 liter engines in the Yaris, Fit, and Mazda 2?

I'm not a Chevy or a Subi guy...
I have owned a Fit and a Yaris 3 door both with MT, they are no reliability prize winners.
The japanese made toyota had all kinds of problems from leaky exhaust into the cabin, then front wheel bearing failure first year, struts shot after year 2. Loved the way it drove though when newer.

My wife's old 2017 Subaru crosstrek drove and ran like new when traded at 90K miles

I’m surprised no one has said it yet but…..Ford Fusion with a 2.5. I’ve got a 2010 and it’s a great little commuter car.

The 13+ are even nicer driving with more room inside, the wife had a 16 Fusion at one point before we needed to haul around 5 kids. Just avoid the ecoboost engines they put in these. 2.5=great, 2.0 will likely have some big problems, 1.6 WILL have big problems

I just got my '04 back from my mechanic. The starter had to be replaced. 437K from the original, not bad. I talked to my mechanic about some of the vehicles I've been looking at, and he said if it were him, he'd keep driving the Corolla I have now. I'm going to take his advice. My original intention was to drive this car until something major fails anyway...and maybe used car prices will come down in another year or two. Hopefully this car will go that long...

I just got my '04 back from my mechanic. The starter had to be replaced. 437K from the original, not bad. I talked to my mechanic about some of the vehicles I've been looking at, and he said if it were him, he'd keep driving the Corolla I have now. I'm going to take his advice. My original intention was to drive this car until something major fails anyway...and maybe used car prices will come down in another year or two. Hopefully this car will go that long...

Most likely it was just worn solenoid contacts. R&R the contacts and possibly the plunger for less than $30.00, and it would have been good to go.

Most likely it was just worn solenoid contacts. R&R the contacts and possibly the plunger for less than $30.00, and it would have been good to go.
I'm sure if that's all it needed, that's what my mechanic would've done...

I'm sure if that's all it needed, that's what my mechanic would've done...

Maybe.

It's faster, and more profit just to replace the starter and solenoid as a unit. Probably with an aftermarket unit (nowhere near the reliability of an OEM Denso unit) from a parts house which pads the profit margin even more. It keeps the mechanic in business though.

Signed, former Toyota Master Tech

I imagine you'll miss the AC next June, but if you have another car for long trips, or times when you don't want to sweat, you may tough a summer out.
You've got time to look anyways, or decide to fix the AC.

Why not use the Corolla without AC and cruise? All of our vehicles have cruise but I never use it. AC I use during the summer months. Never needed it when I was young. You could drive the Corolla when it's not too hot out. For me, that would cover about 95% of my driving.

Maybe.

It's faster, and more profit just to replace the starter and solenoid as a unit. Probably with an aftermarket unit (nowhere near the reliability of an OEM Denso unit) from a parts house which pads the profit margin even more. It keeps the mechanic in business though.

Signed, former Toyota Master Tech
Maybe, but I have no qualms about paying for a new starter when the original lasted this long...

Why not use the Corolla without AC and cruise? All of our vehicles have cruise but I never use it. AC I use during the summer months. Never needed it when I was young. You could drive the Corolla when it's not too hot out. For me, that would cover about 95% of my driving.
That's the plan. I can live without AC, but on the rare occasion the wife's car (the CX-9) isn't available to her, she'd have to use this one, and she's crabby enough as it is without her having to drive a car with no AC...

Back