Nissan Armada & Altima

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: CKN
Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
The Armada is a great vehicle if you don't mind the worst in class fuel mpg. It's 12 mpg in the city and 15 hwy.

Many use that big powerful motor to tow with. I almost bought one instead of my Silverado-1500, which gets better mpg by the way.

12 City and 18 Higwhay is the 2013 Armada's EPA rating. Not 15 Higwhay. The Expedition is 13/18 so it is a wash for the guy. 1st fill on the Armada( yes he has run a whole tank already )netted 13.3 MPG. He averaged 13.5 in the Expedition.

Note - 2016 Armada is rated 13/19.

You might want to look here-
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/2015_Nissan_Armada.shtml

very few get whats on the sticker.

1 - that is for 2015 not a 2013 like the guy bought. Also, when I posted the 13/19 I said it was 2016. So not sure why you are linking me to a 2015 set of stats?

However...

2 - as far as your link you might want to look at it again because your 15 MPG is the AVERAGE combined MPG for city and highway not just highway.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Anthony
The Hemi is a fine engine, but it most definitely is not leaps, and bounds above the Nissan 5.6. On paper it makes more power, but in the real world you are splitting hairs.

That Armada also makes it's peak torque of 385 ft lbs @ 3400 RPM. The latest Hemi 5.7 is rated at 410 ft lbs, but needs 3850 RPM. I will say the HEMI is definitely more responsive than the Nissan V8 now that it is mated to the 8 speed. The 5, and 6 speed units were very close to the Nissan 5.6.

The old Nissan 5.6 was proven to be faster than the new GM 5.3 towing, and empty by TFL truck as well.

The 6.2 from GM is a monster though.
Glad to hear y'all were happy with the deal.

I never said the HEMI was leaps and bounds better than the Nissan 5.6L? I said...

"Not a huge powerhouse like a HEMI or the new GM motors but it is no slouch and it has a lot of low end grunt which is perfect for towing his trailer and boat. Would run away from and tow circles around the Expedition."

I will stand behind those comments. I have driven a Titan with the 5.6L( and a Titan is much lighter than an Armada )and the 5.6L while a good motor is not in the HEMI's or new GFM 6.2L's Class power wise. That is not a put down or insult it is just fact.

For towing the 5.6L Nissan is just fine as it has a lot of torque available at low RPM's. A lot like the 5.4L Ford did. There is more to it than towing though. In normal use the Nissan 5.6L, like the Ford 5.4L, falls behind the more powerful HEMI and GM offerings. That is my experience with the motors. Doesn't mean it is inadequate for the vehicle or anything either. It has all the power the guy needs.

I know you didn't put it down. All the test over the years with the 5.6 vs the 345hp Hemi, and 390hp Hemi show it pretty much dead even, and in more cases ahead of the Hemi when empty, and towing 0 to 60. It was only when the Hemi got the 8 speed did it start to finally pull ahead. Those Hemis as you know also have 395 HP

Also the heavier Armada's are quicker than the Titans despite having identical Engines, and transmissions because the Armada's do not have WOT restriction. In the Titan's the throttle is only opened 60ish percent until 40 mph for 2wd models, and I believe 15 mph for 4x4's.

There is no 2016 Armada. Only leftover 2015's until the 2017's come out. Nissan's 5.6 as is Toyota's 5.7 are definitely thirstier than their competition with their Cylinder Deactivation. I'm personally able to get 20mpg on the hwy out of my Titan on Rd trips with the Cruise control set at 73 mph.

Here is a King Cab Titan, vs a Regular Cab Hemi Ram playing around....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XILsFEBKI5Q

I spent to many years arguing which was fasater; the 5.7L HEMI or the 5.6L Nissan on the truck forums to go back to that now. I have owned a couple HEMI Rams and driven a couple Titans. I have raced against some Titans w/ my Ram's w/ the HEMI as well. My "experiences" differ greatly from yours so I will leave it at that.

11.gif

Always good to have moral supports and an advocate next to you when purchasing a vehicle to help get a better deal. You offer your help and it's up to the person if they want to accept it or not. When I was in college my dad brought me along to the Buick dealer to help negotiate the purchase of a new Park Avenue. I remember the salesmen getting so frustrated the he asked if I was the one buying the car.
smile.gif

The Hemi is a fine engine, but it most definitely is not leaps, and bounds above the Nissan 5.6. On paper it makes more power, but in the real world you are splitting hairs.

That Armada also makes it's peak torque of 385 ft lbs @ 3400 RPM. The latest Hemi 5.7 is rated at 410 ft lbs, but needs 3850 RPM. I will say the HEMI is definitely more responsive than the Nissan V8 now that it is mated to the 8 speed. The 5, and 6 speed units were very close to the Nissan 5.6.

The old Nissan 5.6 was proven to be faster than the new GM 5.3 towing, and empty by TFL truck as well.

The 6.2 from GM is a monster though.
Glad to hear y'all were happy with the deal.

I never said the HEMI was leaps and bounds better than the Nissan 5.6L? I said...

"Not a huge powerhouse like a HEMI or the new GM motors but it is no slouch and it has a lot of low end grunt which is perfect for towing his trailer and boat. Would run away from and tow circles around the Expedition."

I will stand behind those comments. I have driven a Titan with the 5.6L( and a Titan is much lighter than an Armada )and the 5.6L while a good motor is not in the HEMI's or new GFM 6.2L's Class power wise. That is not a put down or insult it is just fact.

For towing the 5.6L Nissan is just fine as it has a lot of torque available at low RPM's. A lot like the 5.4L Ford did. There is more to it than towing though. In normal use the Nissan 5.6L, like the Ford 5.4L, falls behind the more powerful HEMI and GM offerings. That is my experience with the motors. Doesn't mean it is inadequate for the vehicle or anything either. It has all the power the guy needs.

I know you didn't put it down. All the test over the years with the 5.6 vs the 345hp Hemi, and 390hp Hemi show it pretty much dead even, and in more cases ahead of the Hemi when empty, and towing 0 to 60. It was only when the Hemi got the 8 speed did it start to finally pull ahead. Those Hemis as you know also have 395 HP

Also the heavier Armada's are quicker than the Titans despite having identical Engines, and transmissions because the Armada's do not have WOT restriction. In the Titan's the throttle is only opened 60ish percent until 40 mph for 2wd models, and I believe 15 mph for 4x4's.

There is no 2016 Armada. Only leftover 2015's until the 2017's come out. Nissan's 5.6 as is Toyota's 5.7 are definitely thirstier than their competition with their Cylinder Deactivation. I'm personally able to get 20mpg on the hwy out of my Titan on Rd trips with the Cruise control set at 73 mph.

Here is a King Cab Titan, vs a Regular Cab Hemi Ram playing around....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XILsFEBKI5Q

I spent to many years arguing which was fasater; the 5.7L HEMI or the 5.6L Nissan on the truck forums to go back to that now. I have owned a couple HEMI Rams and driven a couple Titans. I have raced against some Titans w/ my Ram's w/ the HEMI as well. My "experiences" differ greatly from yours so I will leave it at that.

11.gif

I hear you lol! The Hemi is a great motor. I loved it in the 15 Ram 4x4 I recently drove with the 8 speed. Just saying if the Hemi can be called a Power House so can the 5.6. Did you watch that video I posted?

Anthony-you must have a very special truck.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/2013_Nissan_Titan.shtml

Indeed, the Environmental Protection Agency provides a rating of 13 miles per gallon city/18 mpg hwy for the Titan 4x2 and 12 mpg city/17 mpg hwy for the Titan 4x4.

Wow- 2 or 3 mpg over sticker in a 5,500 pound truck. Literally unbelievable.

My Silverado sticker says 15/21. I have never achieved 21mpg. 20 yes-but not at 73mph.

There is nothing unbelievable about putting a Titan on an interstate, setting the cruise at 73 for an extended amount of time and get 20 mpg. What people need to understand is that when the EPA certifies the highway number, they no not set the cruise at 70 and calculate the fuel economy. I have driven the highway cruise test used by the EPA THOUSANDS of times....its not a steady state test like everyone believes. You can (and most vehicles should) get slightly higher MPG values if they do extended, steady state driving on the interstate.

Last edited:

I've done it. I did 3 tanks at 21.7 and a fourth at 22mpg before I tired of driving 60mph max and only on backroads. Over 3yr and 50k my average is 19.4mpg. EPA estimate was 18.

I have to say, I'm jealous, as I'm more like 16-18 at 70mph (16 on winter tires and winter gas).

Originally Posted By: supton

I've done it. I did 3 tanks at 21.7 and a fourth at 22mpg before I tired of driving 60mph max and only on backroads. Over 3yr and 50k my average is 19.4mpg. EPA estimate was 18.

I have to say, I'm jealous, as I'm more like 16-18 at 70mph (16 on winter tires and winter gas).

I easily smoked the EPA MPG Estimates in my 05 Silverado EC 4WD w/ HO 5.3L. I hit the 24-25 MPG Highway range with ease on that truck and routinely averaged 18-19 MPG in mixed. Funny thing was my 07 Silverado was the same basic thing( new body style )and the 5.3L had AFM and it got worse MPG than the 05.

I easily smoked the EPA MPG Estimates in my 05 Silverado EC 4WD w/ HO 5.3L. I hit the 24-25 MPG Highway range with ease on that truck and routinely averaged 18-19 MPG in mixed. Funny thing was my 07 Silverado was the same basic thing( new body style )and the 5.3L had AFM and it got worse MPG than the 05.

Hmmm. Why is it ok to believe your 05 suddenly smoked the EPA ratings, but so hard to believe my figures?

Hmmm. Why is it ok to believe your 05 suddenly smoked the EPA ratings, but so hard to believe my figures?

??? I didn't question your personal figures? You have me confused with another poster. If anything my post supports someone's ability to exceed the EPA rating.

[/quote]

??? I didn't question your personal figures? You have me confused with another poster. If anything my post supports someone's ability to exceed the EPA rating. [/quote]

I'm an idiot!! You are right. My mistake!

I recently helped my wife's sister buy a used Explorer, and while I would never get an extended warranty, I told her she needed one, and it's a good thing, because she has used the warranty twice...alternator and something with the A/C. There are very few people I will help with a car purchase, and I recently told a brother in law that I'd give him general advice but begged off helping him with the actual selection and purchase because I know he does NO maintenance and anything he buys will be trashed in short order. I don't want him blaming me for any poor outcome he might have.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back