Horrible experience...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The attorney didn't cost me anything. I signed because if I had not, they could have then claimed they sold that particular car and there were no others at that price available. By having everything in writing I had proof of every aspect of the deal and how it went so wrong.

I never questioned whether the actual price was a good one- it was a GREAT one. That's why they backed out of it. My issue is that if you have a deal in writing, you honor the deal- period. If my asking price is too low, simply do what other dealers did and tell me you can't match the price. Totally understandable. Fraud, bait and switch, whatever you want to call it- it's no way to treat people and it is, in fact, illegal.

Around here that is typical of dealing with Japanese dealers. Their mindset is they can treat you like garbage, raise the price and you will *still* buy it because it is (perceived as) a much better quality vehicle.

I've had the complete opposite treatment in American car dealers.

I wonder what would have happened if you put the $135 or $499 or both on a credit card. Just say you were expecting to pay the original price and that's the check you brought.

Then, when you're sure your title app is in the works, (call the DMV with your carbon copy serial number, VIN, whatever) stop payment on the CC.

Then it's between you, the bank, the court, and the dealer over who owes whom $634. You'll have to prove that the cell phone texts were from the salesperson, that the salesperson worked there at the time, and that he was an officer of the company capable of writing a contract.

BBB is worthless, because who looks up a business before going in? They assume they won't be the sucker. Yelp is a little better just b/c the interface is a little more useable.

And you weren't under the legal definition of duress, which is basically a gun pointing at you.

Stand up to the crooks! I love the game and consider it fun dealing with stealers... My wife is a Lawyer and she dislikes buying cars for this reason when we bought our last car i had a hidden camera and taped the whole thing thinking it would be great viewing but they were too honest lol they took the fun out of buying the car.

Originally Posted By: Yagenta13
I have my integrity- win win. ...

Right on...while the manager has lost his. In Japan it's called face and they would never do that so Toyota may offer you something if this gets outside the US.

Nice job walking away. If you ever travel to the East Coast, Carmax sells new Toyotas in the Laurel, MD store, no haggle and no fees except for $199 or something.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Around here that is typical of dealing with Japanese dealers. Their mindset is they can treat you like garbage, raise the price and you will *still* buy it because it is (perceived as) a much better quality vehicle.

I've had the complete opposite treatment in American car dealers.

I've had the opposite experiences. Well actually worst (horrible) experiences with Ford dealerships. "It's American made with American pride! Aren't you a proud American?" I will say that one Ford dealership 45 miles away actually was a pleasant experience a little over a decade ago. They went out of their way to make me happy. But the other 4 Ford dealerships within 15 mile radius were jerks. The 2 Honda dealerships I've dealt with have also been very pleasant. Best experience has been with local Volkswagen and Subaru dealerships though. Chevy dealer was also a jerk.

Why bother with an attorney? Whenever I attempt a deal at a dealership I am ready to walk at anytime. If they actually do what they say I am pleasantly surprised.

Car dealerships are good and bad (like a lot of other businesses) and a lot has to do with who owns and runs them and the staff they have under them .

That GM should be out on his [censored] .

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Stand up to the crooks! I love the game and consider it fun dealing with stealers... My wife is a Lawyer and she dislikes buying cars for this reason when we bought our last car i had a hidden camera and taped the whole thing thinking it would be great viewing but they were too honest lol they took the fun out of buying the car.

That will get you ARRESTED in some places! It is a FELONY in some states.

Originally Posted By: dparm
Definitely report that to your BBB

Don't waste your time with the BBB. Some people believe they are somehow regulated or government based.

It's a pure scam, if by chance that dealership is actually a member they can pay to have their rating whatever they want and remove the negative complaint.

This is based on experience and for those who doubt I attached the Time investigative story below

I encountered this in PA,FL and NY so I doubt it's an isolated practice

You will have much better results with the states consumer affairs dept, local DA or the FTC

Time - BBB

Last edited:
The best dealer experience by far I had was at Saturn. Alas, they are no more. Chevrolet has been pretty good.

My feet will NEVER tread on a Nissan or Honda lot again.

I've never seriously shopped anywhere else.

Thats illegal, its hard to believe your wife is a lawyer and than would commit a felony, that violates these little things that are known as rights.........
Well than again !!!

OP, Maybe I am the only one that feels this way,
BUT why would you conduct business via text thats not very business savvy at all. I personally would never negotiate a multi thousand dollar deal via text or do business with somebody that is willing to, I think its classless on there (the dealership) part.

Originally Posted By: wsar10

Thats illegal, its hard to believe your wife is a lawyer and than would commit a felony, that violates these little things that are known as rights.........
Well than again !!!

BUT why would you conduct business via text thats not very business savvy at all. I personally would never negotiate a multi thousand dollar deal via text or do business with somebody that is willing to, I think its classless on there (the dealership) part.

You have to check again. NJ is a one party consent state so I don't think he was violating any laws. Also I don't think the OP has a specific state law against unfair and deceptive trade practices, that just general fraud. My state has one where you can get triple damages plus attorney fees if you sue.

Man your horrible at negotiation.

First you had an oral agreement, which is pretty much worthless. Secondly getting an attorney involved? Seriously over a car your going to spend $10k-$15k in legal fees?

As soon as they sat down just take control and simply ask if you are going to leave with a car as agreed. If they say no get up and walk out. Tell them to stop wasting your time.

This is child's play. Why in the world would you sign a contract you don't want to, what an expensive lesson.

Originally Posted By: Yagenta13

Plus, my '05 Accord has only 58,000 miles and is immaculate. I can just wait for whatever deal pops up...maybe a Passat TDI
wink.gif
Is Volkswagen listening?

Buying our Passat was a breeze. We approached a dealer, told them the car we wanted, when we wanted it (for tax purposes), and for what price. They said, "OK, we'll order it so that it will arrive when you want it".

When we went to pick it up, they were great. They stayed after closing to accommodate our schedule. They didn't try to push any of the extras. At the "closing", the guy read one pitch on extended warranties that he claimed VW forced him to read. When he was done, he simply turned over the paper and went on to the next item in the stack. No pressure, no extra sales pitch. We were in the paper-signing room for only about 10 minutes.

It was a very enjoyable car purchase. This was Sharrett VW in Hagerstown, Maryland. I'm sure there are good dealers and bad dealers for every manufacturer.

Originally Posted By: Wolf359
Originally Posted By: wsar10

Well than again !!!

You have to check again. NJ is a one party consent state so I don't think he was violating any laws. Also I don't think the OP has a specific state law against unfair and deceptive trade practices, that just general fraud. My state has one where you can get triple damages plus attorney fees if you sue.

To [censored] with state laws I would say it violates the 4th amendment......

I did not mention anything about laws regarding the OP ???

Remember, many salespeople are borderline sociopaths. The meeting with the GM was probably scripted. Salesman texts or calls mark with a too good to be true offer. GM pretends a grave unfulfillable mistake has been made. Salesman feigns anger. Additional salesman reinforces the play (what possible reason could the extra salesman have been present for? Come on, he had no business being there). Mark begrudgingly coughs up $634 spiff. Salesman's commission goes from laughable to excessive, GM's and extra salesman's lunches are paid for. Wash, Rinse, Repeat.

+1 salesman was in on the pitch for more money. All a cry baby act to extract more money out of you....Sorry ya fell for the mind games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back