2019 Nissan Armada Good? Bad? Towing?

Stumbled on a Nissan Armada with 81k miles good condition today, 1 owner Florida vehicle for 28k.
What is the general concensus on these vehicles?
Any major problems I would anticipate?
Anyone with towing experience with this?

Up until now, my search has been for a Denali, Suburban, but with the engine problems in post 2006 and the transmission problems with the 8 speed, I was hesitant to consider, plus these are still expensive 40k to 50k.
New Armadas are also expensive, so 4 years old with 81k for 28k seemed like something to consider.
They say they have a tow capacity of up to 8500lbs. If that is realistic, it is right where I need to be.
This would be our DD, replacing the 99 Expedition and tow vehicle, replacing to 0'3 Suburban which would remain my work vehicle. Up until now, I have towed with my 03 Suburban, which was good, right at the threshold of comfortable in the mountains, no problem on the highway.

Plan B was an '04 2500 Suburban that needs work as a dedicated tow vehicle and a new Murano or similar as the DD. My wife loved the Armada and the bigger SUV feel.

The Nissan Armadas are not trouble free vehicles.You should not tow more than 5,000-5,500 pounds with an Armada. IMHO.

The Armada is old school but I wouldn’t buy it for its towing capacity, it’s more of what people buy when they cant mentally afford what they should get. That’s how I feel about almost nearly everything Nissan. The cube is still kinda cool.

I think it’s better to stick with what you know, find the lowest mileage non DI Suburban 2500 (2013 or younger) but it will be a unicorn hunt.

Towing capacity aside (although it is important) the only reason I was at a Nissan dealership to consider any vehicle is we have a 04 Sentra with 200+k miles that have been problem free, so I was in considering a Murano or Rogue as a DD, that is why I stumbled on the used Armada and with published 8500 lbs tow capacity, on paper that is more than any of the Suburbans and Yukons out there other than the 2500's.
One thing I found is that published numbers do not always match up with reality.
Another thing I found interesting was the hitch appeared to be welded on as part of the frame, which makes a lot more sense to me than 6 bolts holding on a bolt-on hitch, like the 04 Suburban 2500 I was/am looking at.
I could see that welded on hitch being capable of 8500 lbs, where-as I think the bolt-ons are actually rated at 5k lbs, which is the weakest link in the towing system, even with higher tow capacities. Maybe I am wrong, I am no expert, just looking at it from a logical perspective.

Not sure if the newer Nissan's of today are as dependable as those from 04.

^^^^^If I were you, I'll join the Nissan Armada group forum and ask the members there of your concern. I was in your shoes several years ago a little sketchy about the Jaguar I was about to buy, but it was the Jaguar forum members who gave me the thumbs up, so I opt to buy my dream car. Years had past of owning that Jag, all I can is I've got no regrets

Last edited:
Stumbled on a Nissan Armada with 81k miles good condition today, 1 owner Florida vehicle for 28k.

Up until now, my search has been for a Denali, Suburban, but with the engine problems in post 2006 and the transmission problems with the 8 speed, I was hesitant to consider, plus these are still expensive 40k to 50k.
New Armadas are also expensive, so 4 years old with 81k for 28k seemed like something to consider.
They say they have a tow capacity of up to 8500lbs. If that is realistic, it is right where I need to be.
This would be our DD, replacing the 99 Expedition and tow vehicle, replacing to 0'3 Suburban which would remain my work vehicle. Up until now, I have towed with my 03 Suburban, which was good, right at the threshold of comfortable in the mountains, no problem on the highway.

Plan B was an '04 2500 Suburban that needs work as a dedicated tow vehicle and a new Murano or similar as the DD. My wife loved the Armada and the bigger SUV feel.
The Armada is body on frame old school. I think the 8500 towing rating is for the rwd models not 4wd.

Skip the Rogue and/or Murano.
Armada is a good value and will tow. I was a passenger in a 2018MY one for a long trip, while it was towing 6k lbs. No issues noted by myself or the driver, plenty of power and stability. For 2016+ models - the simpler ones would be more reliable. The fully loaded ones seem to experience occasional electrical gremlins in that generation.
Personally, I'd consider the latest model years of the previous generation Armada. More ironed out and is a well proven platform. Here is a 2015 with 80K miles, for under $21k. Or plenty of other examples like it, in similar price range.
For either generation - expect 14-15MPG average, and 19MPG highway. Idk why so many cry about these numbers, as my Tahoe never gave me more than 12-13MPG, regardless of driving style or conditions.

We have a 2018 Armada Platinum. It hasn't been perfect, but it's been mostly a good daily.

There is a TSB for 2017 and 2018 (I think) about a #7 cylinder issue. Short block replacement

The major problems I have had is the brake switch failing which makes the vehicle not driveable. I have replaced 3 brake switches this far.

Other owners report charging issues linked to "Smart Altenator" Easy to disconnect cable from battery

Air suspension problems

Engine is impressive, and trans shifts aren't that great. Michelin Defenders LTX is probably the best thing I have done to the vehicle.

Zero Gravity seats are awesome. No Apple Car Play or Android Auto. Infotainment is dated.

A 2019 Armada weighs 5500-6000 lbs. I would think it would be as capable as a similarly equipped 1/2 ton pickup truck. I believe the Armada was eventually switched over to the Jatco built copy of the Mercedes Benz 9G matic 9spd auto. No idea how the long term will be with this 9spd, but they sure feel better performance wise than the old Jatco 5AT.

Not saying I would, but the 2017+ Nissan Pathfinder is rated by Nissan to tow up to 6000lbs and this is a CVT equipped vehicle. Lots of owners tow travel trailers with them.

Last edited:
The major problems I have had is the brake switch failing which makes the vehicle not driveable. I have replaced 3 brake switches this far.

Other owners report charging issues linked to "Smart Altenator" Easy to disconnect cable from battery

The infamous Nissan stop lamp switch issue where the vehicle wont start? Months back I had to replace this switch on our 2019 Pathfinder for this issue. You could remote start it no problem. You can pop these switches apart and bend the contacts together for better contact.

My 2022 Frontier has that variable voltage charging system. I left it plugged into the neg batt post sensor, but snipped the signal wire so I get close to 14VDC running voltage and stay there.

You have to have the big tow kit for the 8500LB rating and if you do it will do it.

The biggest problem you will have is the "catafold" the hybrid manifold catalytic converter.

It WILL crack and reduce mileage severely. There are a few fixes out there that will end this problem.

This is a brutally expensive part.

If you are looking at it insist on a dead cold startup to see if you can hear a manifold crack and have it inspected either way.

The Vk 56 is a better tow mill than a chevy 5.3 Ive had them both.

...The biggest problem you will have is the "catafold" the hybrid manifold catalytic converter.

It WILL crack and reduce mileage severely. There are a few fixes out there that will end this problem.

This is a brutally expensive part.

If you are looking at it insist on a dead cold startup to see if you can hear a manifold crack and have it inspected either way.

The Vk 56 is a better tow mill than a chevy 5.3 Ive had them both.

I wonder how this will pan out for the VQ38DD that the 2020+ Frontiers have. There isn't an exhaust manifold on these engines. It's cast into the cylinder head just like the Chrysler Pentastar V6. Basically just a central opening that the catalytic converter assembly bolts to.

I wonder how this will pan out for the VQ38DD that the 2020+ Frontiers have. There isn't an exhaust manifold on these engines. It's cast into the cylinder head just like the Chrysler Pentastar V6. Basically just a central opening that the catalytic converter assembly bolts to.

Im really interested to see how this works myself.

Being forced to buy a dual assembly is a very expensive proposition.

The California vehicles are a real burden as there are only two aftermarket solutions that are carb approved.

The Magnaflow - which is pure junk- it arrived brand new leaking.
The Cajun B Pipe Companies hand made JBA shorty header with a Ca legal cat welded on. This is a thing of beauty.

@UncleDave I hear you on the CARB deal. Living in NY, I can't even mail order a non CARB unit to my address. My frontier has like $5000-6000 worth of OEM CCs on it.

@UncleDave I hear you on the CARB deal. Living in NY, I can't even mail order a non CARB unit to my address. My frontier has like $5000-6000 worth of OEM CCs on it.
The guys at the shop that put my exhaust on told me the story of the supercharged frontier.

This experience wasnt in the brochure.

One of the best parts about electrics to me is finally giving carb the finger.

Last edited:
Reactions: JTK
We loved our 2017. Had a PR 2wd.

We didn't have issues with the brake switch or engine. I remember the rear view camera being very poor quality. As for repairs, the rear differential did go bad repaired under warranty, and a small oil leak that was also repaired under warranty.

As for towing, I hauled my F100(7000 pounds truck and trailer) and I was impressed with it. As a matter of fact, I much preferred it over my 2010 F-150 which I towed the same load with.

It was an excellent road trip vehicle, so comfortable and smooth. Seats were wonderful.

If I were considering it again, a 2019+ would be a good option since you don't have to worry about the engine block issue.

Reactions: JTK
I don’t know the armada at all. I did have a 97 pathfinder and did tow with it. I found the the pathfinder was a good passenger suv, or really a lifted station wagon. it was quite comfortable on the highway. Unfortunately, the comfy ride translated to a mediocre tow vehicle. it was rated for 5000 pounds but was sloppy even with 3500 - was way too sloppy. Idk if the armada follows similar build philosophies but if it does, I would cut the comfortable tow rating in half, unless you want to mod springs/bushings/shocks.

I don’t know the armada at all. I did have a 97 pathfinder and did tow with it. I found the the pathfinder was a good passenger suv, or really a lifted station wagon. it was quite comfortable on the highway. Unfortunately, the comfy ride translated to a mediocre tow vehicle. it was rated for 5000 pounds but was sloppy even with 3500 - was way too sloppy. Idk if the armada follows similar build philosophies but if it does, I would cut the comfortable tow rating in half, unless you want to mod springs/bushings/shocks.
The short wheelbase on your Pathfinder would have made it a terrible tow vehicle.

Back