Which Suburban Generation /Years Most Dependable And For Towing

I am trying to narrow down my shopping selection for an older model Suburban/Yukon XL/Denali XL for my wife's DD and for towing our 5500k lb RV.
I have made a few other posts regarding specific vehicles, but this is for a more generic inquiry.
The more research I do, the more I find out problems with different generations.
I am terrified to pull the trigger on a 20k plus vehicle and get stuck with a defective engine or transmission and have to start throwing a bunch of parts at it. I have been down that road on lesser expensive vehicles and it sucks. I want something dependable that will suit our needs/lifestyle first and our desires 2nd (I don't need all the bells and whistles) and dependability is at the top of my list, but definitely one of these SUV's.
From what I have researched the 2007 to 2014's had engine issues with the AFM and the 2015's had issues with the 8 speed transmissions and AC. I also came to find that they had a 3.23 rear axle (paired up with the 8 speed) unless they came with the max trailer package. Did they make these with 3.42 or 4:10 with a 6 speed? Going up to a 10 speed starts going into 2018+ years which is out of my range.
We really like the styling of the 2015+ models of Suburbans, Yukons, Tahoes, Denali's but they are at the upper end of the price range, and I am concerned about towability.
Are there any post GMT800's that did not have transmission or engine issues? Want to get into another one of these, but can't seem to dial in which years/models, engines and transmissions to avoid.
I don't need a Denali, but they sure do look good, but I have a feeling that I may be looking at 2006 or less to meet my criteria...but wife won't be happy unless I can find a mint one and install a backup camera.

Last edited:
I have a 2005 yukon xl denali. Have towed almost 6000 pounds from Houston to near central Mexico. Bought it new in 05 and it's got 335k so far. Engine and trans have never had anything inside of them replaced. The engine has only has a few gaskets that caused oil seepage replaced but no valve stems, head gaskets, or any metal. Front and rear diff and T case are all still good. Transmission has had nothing but oil and filters. I change the fluid about every 65-70k so I'm not the religious type. Overall the 6.0 is just a wonderful engine and the 4l65e is pretty good. The ac compressor, fuel pump, and power steering pump have never failed. Heck even all 4 shock absorbers are still the factory ones. But the silly rear leveling thing did fail but i never cared about it. Overall it's been real good to me. But i can't guarantee any used one you might get will be good. That's just a gamble.

I think i might suggest a ford expedition with the 6 speed or a Toyota sequoia better yet instead if you're buying used. But all in all the gmt800 was one of the best gm platforms. I've owned my 2021 escalade for almost 3 years and it has never felt mechanically superior or like something that would go even half that mileage without failing. The 10 speed trashcan's behavior still disgusts me.

1987-1991, every generation since has failed to live up to this peak Suburban.

Seems like the GMT800 had issues with failing brake lines, but you'll probably be ok in Florida as long as good inspection. I think the issue was rust/corrosion from salt exposure on roads.

Good luck in your search. The 2015+ are super nice rides. Might come down to what you can find that's clean, reasonable miles, and price. I wouldn't touch one with AFM.

In reference to above comment, the 2007 and earlier Sequoia probably wouldn't be a good tow vehicle for 5.5k pounds, although the 2008+ (newer body style) would be fine.

Your best bet is a 2500 Suburban/Yukon XL, The LY6 & L96 6.0L's are just about bulletproof, 6L90E transmissions don't eat converters like 6L80E's do.....Even though they use the exact same Converter (Tuning differences).

5.3L/6L80E life can be extended with some tuning, Turn the AFM off & eliminate Converter Clutch slippage. Swapping a L96/6L90E into a 2wd 1500 Suburban is pretty straight forward (Driveshaft & Trans Crossmember mods needed along with some tuning)

1987-1991, every generation since has failed to live up to this peak Suburban.

Seems like the GMT800 had issues with failing brake lines, but you'll probably be ok in Florida as long as good inspection. I think the issue was rust/corrosion from salt exposure on roads.

Good luck in your search. The 2015+ are super nice rides. Might come down to what you can find that's clean, reasonable miles, and price. I wouldn't touch one with AFM.

In reference to above comment, the 2007 and earlier Sequoia probably wouldn't be a good tow vehicle for 5.5k pounds, although the 2008+ (newer body style) would be fine.

Drove a 1985 C20 Suburban for many years, Great truck....Even installed a 5.3L/4L60E to extend it's life. GMT800 platform is still better (Though brake line problems aren't an issue here in North Texas)

I have a 2005 yukon xl denali. Have towed almost 6000 pounds from Houston to near central Mexico. Bought it new in 05 and it's got 335k so far. Engine and trans have never had anything inside of them replaced. The engine has only has a few gaskets that caused oil seepage replaced but no valve stems, head gaskets, or any metal. Front and rear diff and T case are all still good. Transmission has had nothing but oil and filters. I change the fluid about every 65-70k so I'm not the religious type. Overall the 6.0 is just a wonderful engine and the 4l65e is pretty good. The ac compressor, fuel pump, and power steering pump have never failed. Heck even all 4 shock absorbers are still the factory ones. But the silly rear leveling thing did fail but i never cared about it. Overall it's been real good to me. But i can't guarantee any used one you might get will be good. That's just a gamble.

I think i might suggest a ford expedition with the 6 speed or a Toyota sequoia better yet instead if you're buying used. But all in all the gmt800 was one of the best gm platforms. I've owned my 2021 escalade for almost 3 years and it has never felt mechanically superior or like something that would go even half that mileage without failing. The 10 speed trashcan's behavior still disgusts me.
This is what I am talking about...you have a practically new vehicle and an old one, and you seem more confident in the old one. 335k miles, congratulations. I am at 223k on my 03 5.3 4L60 with 4:10 gears Suburban. Lots of confidence in this. I did have to do rear main and fuel pump, but I trust it.
Researched the Sequoia based on feedback from another post...Just looks a little under rated on the tow capacity. I feel I am at the threshold using the Suburban, it is comfortable, but not struggling, but does struggle in the mountains, but I think that is a 4 speed thing.

Your best bet is a 2500 Suburban/Yukon XL, The LY6 & L96 6.0L's are just about bulletproof, 6L90E transmissions don't eat converters like 6L80E's do.....Even though they use the exact same Converter (Tuning differences).
Great advice.
It looks like these were in production until 2013.
Did the 2500 GMT 900's suffer from the AFM problems that seem to be so talked about?
These are hard to find. I looked at one with lots of miles, 15 thousand dollars and was from up north so rusted chassis and the rear leveling suspension was gone and replaced with standard shocks. I feel like load leveling of some sort will be a necessity for me. I don't mind my Nivomat shocks. They do well, but I don't think a 2500 takes these.

Swapping a L96/6L90E into a 2wd 1500 Suburban is pretty straight forward (Driveshaft & Trans Crossmember mods needed along with some tuning)
This is an interesting thought. What years/models could this swap be made in?
Thinking I might have a better chance of getting a high mileage 1500 and make this swap.
It sounds like you have the experience, what kind of dollars does this pairing cost to upgrade?
Would you do new or rebuilt?
I imagine rear gearing would need to be considered on the vehicle to purchase.

If I took this approach, I would probably drive out to TX to have you do it. (I assume you are in this business)

Great advice.
It looks like these were in production until 2013.
Did the 2500 GMT 900's suffer from the AFM problems that seem to be so talked about?
These are hard to find. I looked at one with lots of miles, 15 thousand dollars and was from up north so rusted chassis and the rear leveling suspension was gone and replaced with standard shocks. I feel like load leveling of some sort will be a necessity for me. I don't mind my Nivomat shocks. They do well, but I don't think a 2500 takes these.
Iron Block 6.0L's never had AFM, The ONLY 6.0L's to receive AFM was the Aluminum L76 found in Pontiac G8 & Caprice PPV & the LFA found in GMT900 Hybrid's, The ONLY other Aluminum 6.0L is the LS2.

The Max Trailering package from GM is worth every penny. It is a shame that most dealers seem to have never heard of it, or know that it exists. It puts my trailer towing at 10,900# on a half ton. This is on a 2017 Sierra 4x4 with a 5.3 engine, a 6 speed transmission, and a 3.73 rear end. The numbers should be similar to the 2014 model year.

I also have a 2000 Sierra 5.3 RWD with a 3.73 rear end. I will always have at least one truck on hand with a 3.73 for towing.

From the 2017 GM towing guide, it appears that a 2017 Suburban/Yukon XL with Max Trailering only came with a 3.42 (a shame), with a rated max of 8,000 (4x4) or 8,300 (RWD) for a trailer.

Just an observation as I’ve never owned one and always wanted a Tahoe.

Also know people who have had, and have, multiple generations.

My unscientific observation is the 1995-1998’ish ones are a fan favorite.

I do not know anyone who has the current Gen, which is what I like…

I have a 2008 3/4 ton with the 6.0 and 6L90. The engine and transmission have 244,000 miles on them. I have the 3.73 rear end and it too has been problem free. I used to tow a 7,000 lb travel trailer. Yes, these could be had to the end of 2013. I replaced the alternator, power steering pump, and belt pulleys but it has the original water pump and starter.

GMT800, 2500. Hard to find them, but will definitely pull a trailer, it's basically what they are meant for. Parts are easy to get, and it's just a solid platform.

And another thing, I've always run into door issues on GMT400s and 900s, but not so much on 800s. Had to fix plenty of things on 800s but somehow never doors sagging. It's a minor fixable issue, but when you open and close the door multiple times a day you notice.

Last edited:
From the 2017 GM towing guide, it appears that a 2017 Suburban/Yukon XL with Max Trailering only came with a 3.42 (a shame),
My thoughts exactly (on paper). I think the general concept here was that with the 3.42 ratio complimented the 8 speed transmission.
My 4 speed has the 4:10. I test drove an 04 4 speed Suburban with the 3.73 and it was a noticeable difference. Much smoother on the shifts, but something felt different on the power transfer as well. I really like the 4:10 for towing, hard shifting when not towing, but I got used to it.
Anyone tow at the heavier side of the specs with the 2015+?
It looks like they also made 6 speed 5.3's in that generation.

Will definitely add a 2500 to my list, but I need one that is rust free. The majority are from up north and I am done dealing with rust. Never again...I hope.
(fuel mileage a little bit of a concern... but not a deal breaker) Definitely want to get at least 9 while towing, otherwise the long trips get very expensive...but I heard the 2500's can get that.

This is an interesting thought. What years/models could this swap be made in?
Thinking I might have a better chance of getting a high mileage 1500 and make this swap.
It sounds like you have the experience, what kind of dollars does this pairing cost to upgrade?
Would you do new or rebuilt?
I imagine rear gearing would need to be considered on the vehicle to purchase.

If I took this approach, I would probably drive out to TX to have you do it. (I assume you are in this business)

PM me for labor pricing....I've had great luck with low mileage pullouts, L96/6L90E combinations were available to 2019, 50,000-60,000 mile package shouldn't be hard to find.
Install a TransGo Tow & Pro kit & a Billet Front Converter.

The base vehicle will need to be a 2009 to 2013 YM equipped with a 6L80E to keep costs down.....I can swap 4L60E equipped GMT900's....But then it'll need a Engine Harness & 6L80E/6L90E cooler lines.

I have an 05 Suburban 5.3, Awd, w/ air ride and towing package. I think it has 3.42 gears. I pull a 5k lb camper trailer around the south east and smoky mountains. My weight distribution setup is spot on. It is my opinion that this set up is just adequate. The suburban has good towing manners and fits the whole family. I do feel that the 5.3 is underpowered. I only travel at ~65 MPH and struggle on inclines to maintain speed. I don't use cruise control as it will downshift and rev to the 4.5k+ on any incline. In comparison, my buddy pulls an identical camper with his 2017 Ram 1500 with the hemi. He doesn't have these issues. I also manage 9-10 MPG when towing. 14-17 MPG with no load.

A 2500 suburban would be ideal!

Last edited:
That sounds right on target to me. my 4.7 with 4:10 had plenty of power but had to rev for mountain grades and the cruise was way too extreme - I needed to drive it the real way to work with it. Even with the ecoboost, which can climb all day long, I won’t let it stay at full speed on the hill, often because everyone else slows some too, or I’ll tuck in with the big trucks and not try to race up the hill like everyone else with the camper back there. In my case, the limitation I faced was not power so much as it was chassis. The 05 ‘burb is a good, long, truck-based chassis. and as you said, getting the WDH dialed in is very beneficial.

The Max Trailering package from GM is worth every penny. It is a shame that most dealers seem to have never heard of it, or know that it exists. It puts my trailer towing at 10,900# on a half ton. This is on a 2017 Sierra 4x4 with a 5.3 engine, a 6 speed transmission, and a 3.73 rear end. The numbers should be similar to the 2014 model year.

I also have a 2000 Sierra 5.3 RWD with a 3.73 rear end. I will always have at least one truck on hand with a 3.73 for towing.

From the 2017 GM towing guide, it appears that a 2017 Suburban/Yukon XL with Max Trailering only came with a 3.42 (a shame), with a rated max of 8,000 (4x4) or 8,300 (RWD) for a trailer.
Yes - I have one and happy to have the cooling capacity and 2 speed xfer case - IMO “rating” contests lead folks to buy too much RV …

Last edited:
Back