GMT 800 Suburban (Worth selling XJ Cherokee?)

An acquaintance is selling a GMT 800 suburban (2003) in good condition, with very low miles - if I buy it though, I'll likely be compelled by the wife (& reason) to sell my XJ cherokee.

The Suburban is newer, lower miles by a factor of ~4x, and better equipped, and frankly nicer condition. And obviously, much larger.

It seems like a logical move to make but I also like my jeep and had no immediate plans to sell before this opportunity came up.

Any thoughts and opinions on these Suburbans, and what would you do?

Attachments

• 0602191552a_HDR.jpg
    0602191552a_HDR.jpg
    125.5 KB · Views: 51
I have two 800's which combined have over 500k combined since i got them new with the original metal in the drivetrain. Don't even care for my 2021 escalade that much.
That's a high mileage, have they been reliable for you?

What is the use case? Towing? Just because? Is the Jeep a 4x4? Lots of questions there.

GMT 800's will rise in value, they are rock solid, given no rust.

Is that rust on the lower left fender or dirt, or is that fat or wax overspill from an anti-rust-treatment?

The Suburban is much larger than the XJ. That might be a good or a bad thing. If you tow heavy trailers, the suburban will probably do this better. If you go offroading, you will have more fun in the XJ.

If you really like the XJ, and if it is a decent condition, keep it. I mean, finding a nice one isn't easy... they aren't making them any more.

Last edited:
That's a high mileage, have they been reliable for you?
Absolutely, the engine, trans, t case and diffs have never been taken apart for anything and are still good. Just the usual gaskets and seals. Except the head gaskets those haven't failed on either yet. Heck even all 4 oem delphi shocks are somehow still original on both, no bounce.

They are both solid choices, however I would argue the XJ is the more reliable out of the two, the 4.0 is one of the best engines ever made, very simple very reliable and the Aisin/Toyota AW-4 is a very reliable transmission, if maintained these are easily 300,000+ mile vehicles without major repairs, and even abused they seem to make it just as long.

Also there is a much larger aftermarket for the XJ.

But in reality you cannot go wrong with either however I am going to assume the Suburban is equipped with a 4L60E, they are not the strongest transmissions but not the weakest either, if you maintain them they will last a very long time but if you abuse them expect a transmission rebuild.

Is that rust on the lower left fender or dirt, or is that fat or wax overspill from an anti-rust-treatment?

The Suburban is much larger than the XJ. That might be a good or a bad thing. If you tow heavy trailers, the suburban will probably do this better. If you go offroading, you will have mor fun in the XJ.

If you really like the XJ, and if it is a decent condition, keep it. I mean, finding a nice one isn't easy... they aren't making them any more.
There is a spot of rust there! Previous owner dented that panel causing it to be susceptible. Otherwise underneath, it is clean so nothing structural I think.

Jeep is a 4x4 60th anniversary with the auto.

What is the use case? Towing? Just because? Is the Jeep a 4x4? Lots of questions there.

GMT 800's will rise in value, they are rock solid, given no rust.
I didn't buy XJ as a tow vehicle but I have used it to tow when need be. I would tow a boat occasionally with either. Other use case is doing our "truck" tasks like running for mulch or picking up a dishwasher, or furniture. I think with the extra space and comfort the suburban would probably get used for some road trips as well, if purchased. It is an LT 4x4 with leather.

Jeep is a 4x4 60th anniv (iirc it's a sport with the special wheels, mats, emblems)

With the other options in the family I won't be roadtripping the XJ, although I have done so in the past.

I didn't buy XJ as a tow vehicle but I have used it to tow when need be. I would tow a boat occasionally with either. Other use case is doing our "truck" tasks like running for mulch or picking up a dishwasher, or furniture. I think with the extra space and comfort the suburban would probably get used for some road trips as well, if purchased. It is an LT 4x4 with leather.

With the other options in the family I won't be roadtripping the XJ, although I have done so in the past.

Buy it, keep both :)

♬Did you ever have to make up your mind.. ♬

My initial response is, in ten years, the XJ will be worth something, still have parts and support available, while the Suburban will be dust.

Then I realized there are PLENTY of good 1993 GM trucks still clattering around.

I imagine this must be one of those "too good to be true" below market offers?

Were you happy with your Jeep yesterday? Yes, right? Keep the Jeep.

My initial response is, in ten years, the XJ will be worth something, still have parts and support available, while the Suburban will be dust.

Then I realized there are PLENTY of good 1993 GM trucks still clattering around.

Good points all. It's a good offer I think, just because there aren't that many low mileage good condition suburbans out there. It seems like these racked up miles typically - hard to even find a comp. Definitely a favorable deal at the very least. I think what is swaying me a bit is that if I'm honest, this is a better example of a Suburban than my XJ is of an XJ.

I have taken good care of the Cherokee, but it definitely was neglected a bit before I got ahold of it, and has over 200k instead of well under 100k.

I still see decent 1983 GM trucks occasionally and this is the rust belt. Both vehicles are one of the longest lasting options out there.

I still regret selling our 88 Cherokee... As others have pointed out, they aren't making them anymore, and trying to find one now that hasn't been hacked on, neglected, or completely beat up is darn near impossible, and definitely not at much of anything approaching a reasonable price.

If it were me, I'd try to swing keeping the XJ and picking up the Suburban if it really is a reasonable deal and you are interested in it.

Both good options. Although I'm biased, I'd take the XJ over a Suburban. Depends on your use case though. As you know, the XJ isn't much of a road trip vehicle. It's character is what makes it enjoyable.

Some may laugh, but the XJ is getting pretty collectible. Keep it stock and well maintained. Nice machine there.

Get the Suburban but It will drink more fuel though.

Bet you a tank of gas the 'Burb will beat the XJ on the highway when it comes to MPG.

I'd let the XJ go in favor of the GMT800, and that's coming from a guy who has no plans to let his 175k mile WJ go any time soon.

Back