The parts shortage bit me

My hybrid F-150 has been at the dealer since the end of November. I am pretty unsure on what next move I want to make.

Since new, when turning lock-to-lock, the front tires would rub on something in the front. I had the truck into the dealer three times before this last time.

- Once in May 2021 for exhaust rattle, this mentioned rubbing sound, and a front camera malfunction. First service attempt was at the purchasing dealer and they fixed literally nothing. They essentially said they couldn't find anything and said here's the truck. I begrudgingly took the truck back and hoped for the best.

- The second time the truck went in, I took it to a dealer closer to my house and a larger volume dealer. I figured they may have a better equipped service department. I had them correct the still malfunctioning front camera, take a look at the exhaust rattle, front end rubbing sound, trailer light module fault, navigation on the screen had an error and the trans. had a harsh 1st to 3rd shift. They were able to correct the camera and navi with an update, had to order parts for the transmission and scheduled me a week out. They didn't see anything with the exhaust rattle and I could confirm it was still present. While I was there, they did reset the adaptive tables for the trans. The rubbing sound, they didn't find anything wrong with the truck. The trailer light module fault, they said they reset it and it was OK. Backing up a little in the story -- I had a trailer connected a few weekends prior and the truck kept erroring on the lighting module, presenting a Trailer Lighting Module fault error every few minutes, and the trailer lights kept going out (kinda SCARY on a long trip away from home). The trailer is a 3 year old car hauler and known good wiring, well at least Dad's 2500HD likes the trailer wiring.

- The third time, I was bringing in the truck for the trans. part/repair. I received a call later in the day asking "Hey, what was wrong with the truck, it is as shifting fine". I referred to the part they had me scheduled to come in for. They said "yeah it seems fine you can pick it up, call us if you have any other problems with it, we don't need that part". Sure, OK no problem (weird though!).

This most recent time around, I made an appointment to again have the front end rubbing sound looked at, and have a TSB update performed for my heated steering wheel. The update corrects a condition where the heating element turns off after 10 minutes. They diagnosed the front end rubbing as an incorrectly moulded splash shield, ordered one and replaced it. They also applied the update for the wheel. The truck went in late November. They called me a few days late and said it was ready for pickup. Great.

I go to pick up the truck. When I get in it, I receive a Trailer Lighting Module fault error. OK, whatever, so I restart the truck.... same error. I also notice the interior turn signal lights are hyper flashing on the dash. They seemed to flash OK on the outside, but inside is hyper flash. Very disorienting. So I walk back into the dealer, explain, sweet talk my way back into my loaner and leave the truck with them (they wanted to re-schedule another appointment). I get a call the next day, they claim the truck is fine, ready for pickup. I go out to the truck, same issue. They claimed they reset the trailer light module. So I walk in again, explain, get my loaner back, etc and leave the truck. They call me a few days later, telling me that they reset the module, pulled fuses and it seems fine now and it's ready for pickup. OK, sure. I get my keys, get into my truck, same error. So I leave the truck again. I am a little annoyed at this point but am professional, it isn't the service guys fault.

Didn't hear anything for a few days, I called the dealer, they said they have a new trailer lighting module on order and that it should be in this Friday or Tuesday No problem. I call the Friday after that Tuesday and didn't get a call back. I call the week after and my service advisor says that the part is on order with no ETA and a backorder. They told me that the truck should be safe to drive but I can keep the rental if I want. I asked about how the turn signals are flashing and how do I know the lights won't fail/trailer lights won't fail. They don't have an answer for me beyond saying "they flash fine". So I choose to keep the rental. I don't want lights failing on me, and this module failing the trailer light -- why did I buy a truck? I decided to call Ford Corporate Customer Care to document the case and see if they can help expedite something. Ford Corporate was able to establish dealer communication better than I.

Fast forward to today. I have been in contact with Ford Corporate Customer Care quite a few times. They are estimating me an ETA of part availably, earliest shipping March 18, 2022 with no guarantee. I asked how new vehicles can have these same parts and are produced everyday but none allocated to servicing the trucks already bought -- radio silence. I would not be shocked if that allotment for new vehicles is scared, after all, truck production and sale is Priority #1.

My rental throughout all of this has been a newer 2.0T Ecoboost Ford Edge AWD with terrible summer-oriented tires. They are HORRIBLE in the Buffalo 2-4" snow we had a couple weeks ago. I will not drive it in the snow, its dangerous. This Edge is terrible, no power, slow, not great fuel economy, uncomfortable -- really makes my sciatica go bonkers, cramped. I have inquired about a different loaner but they will not exchange it claiming they have no others.

I am a bit beside myself. I can understand the parts shortages, but I feel like this is an example where Ford should be doing something more in offering compensation or assisting with finding another rental -- or at least be mentioning something about making this right. It is infuriating to be paying truck money to drive an Edge. I couldn't take my quad to my buddy's hunting camp and I am hoping snowmobile season doesn't pan out at this point. I am also curious if this will be the ongoing trend for newer more complex vehicles -- no parts. Warranties and potential extended warranties, which I would be inclined to carry for any longer term ownership of the PowerBoost might be irrelevant if they can't get any parts timely.

So I don't know what to do. No pickup for almost 2 and a half more months is a tough pill to swallow. I am happy to still have wheels, but its the principle of it. I am thinking this might be a clear situation where an older mass produced vehicle should more so less effected by the recent partsshortages events. Take my Suburban for example, if shortages do get bad enough, sure Autozone, NAPA, Advance etc. might not have parts, but I do think between them, and cheap eBay parts, the supply for GMT parts would take an undertaking to completely dry up. Even then, there's wrecker yards, used parts, etc.

I do love the F150, the Hybrid is cool, love the leather, heated seats, stereo system, sunroof, etc -- I greatly miss going on long trips and drives and chilling with some music. But from a continuity standpoint, I am greatly evaluating newer vehicle worth. Perhaps at this point it makes more sense for an older vehicle strictly from the standpoint of being able to keep it going down the road when something breaks.

Sorry for any rambling, just thinking out loud and you all offer great opinions and viewpoints. Just don't know what to do. Maybe this thing will keep living in the service dept. and is a lemon.

When I worked at a Peterbilt dealer we had a very large trucking company headquartered just down the street(it was Springfield, MO you can do the math if you'd like) We would pull parts off new trucks on the lot and have requested parts stripped from a truck on the assembly line when necessary. It's fascinating how different the light truck and passenger car industry is from heavy trucks.

Also, food for thought, was just reading, according to the official New York State Inspection guidelines, section 79.21 states that the inspection should be rejected if "Interior indicator lamp does not function properly. (If vehicle has an exterior indicator lamp only, check for proper operation.)". Clearly this is not functioning properly.

what about lemon law for a buyback?
This. Carefully research the NY lemon law and begin the process.

Attorney GeneralMenu
Skip to main content

You are here
Home » Divisions » Economic Justice » Bureau of Consumer Frauds & Protection » Bureau of Consumer Frauds & Protection Resource Center » Tips

New Car Lemon Law Fact Sheet​

The New York State New Car Lemon Law provides a legal remedy for consumers who are buyers or lessees of new cars and certain "used" cars that turn out to be "lemons." If a car does not conform to the terms of its written warranty and the manufacturer or its authorized agent is unable to repair the car after a reasonable number of attempts, a consumer is entitled to a refund or replacement.
Cars covered by the law include any car that:
  • Was covered by a warranty at original delivery; AND
  • Was purchased, leased or transferred within the earlier of 18,000 miles or two years from the date of original delivery; AND
  • Was either purchased, leased or transferred in New York State or is presently registered in the state; AND
  • Is used primarily for personal purposes.
Duty to Repair:
A reasonable chance for a manufacturer or its authorized agent to repair a problem for a new car is considered to be:
  • Four or more attempts to repair and the problem continues to exist; OR
  • The car is out of service by reason of repair of one or more problems for a cumulative total of 30 days or more.
Exceptions when manufacturers may not be required to provide a refund or replacement:
  • The problem does not substantially impair the value of the car to the consumer; OR
  • The problem is a result of abuse, neglect or unauthorized alteration of the car.
What consumers should do if they become aware of a problem with the car:
  • Immediately report any defect or "condition" either directly to the manufacturer or to its authorized dealer. If the consumer reports the problem to the dealer, the law requires the dealer to forward written notice to the manufacturer within seven days.
  • Keep careful records of all complaints and copies of all work orders, repair bills and correspondence.
  • Contact the Department of Motor Vehicles at 518-474-8943 if there are problems obtaining repair orders.
Individuals with questions about their rights under the New Car Lemon Law are encouraged to contact the Attorney General's consumer help line at (800) 771-7755 or go to New_Car_Lemon_Law_2011.pdf

I can understand being frustrated but the parts shortage and the initial build quality are the least frustrating part of your story IMO. Why does it take 2, 3, 4, 5, 6x for the "factory trained" service techs to diagnose and fix something? Why do they only order a new module after trying to give you back the truck 3x, unfixed, and after literally doing nothing additional other than you refusing to take it 3x?

This is the kind of nonsense that leads to the reputation of dealership service departments. So many people think "factory trained" means they are top-notch when in reality these jokers can have an entire career there not fixing anything. Just another reason to avoid the dealership service department if possible and certainly for all out-of-warranty work.

I'm sorry you're having TWO major issues - a poorly built truck AND an incompetent service department.

What a shame. Somewhat minor nuisance problems (too many) that should have been easily corrected have ruined your owner experience.

The current market might let you get out of the truck with very little economic setback. I'd try to get the dealer who says there's nothing wrong to buy it or take it on trade on another new truck then turn around and flip the new truck to Carvana or whoever. I'd kinda hate to sell your truck to Carvana but if the dealer says it's fixed and good to go who are you to argue, let Carvana deal with it. Or trade for a different brand if you feel lucky. You have ways out of this truck besides Lemon Law if you choose. Good luck with it.

Found On Road Dead

Fix Or Repair Daily

This has nothing to do with Ford specifically. I'm not the biggest fan of Ford, but I'm seeing this with many major brands across the board. They prioritize selling new vehicles over keeping current customers happy.

Unfortunately I'm seeing more of this type of stuff happening when vehicles have 1 million modules that control things.

I think the most disheartening thing about reading this is the typical all too often dealer gaslighting that nothing is wrong with the vehicle. Why would anyone go through the trouble of bringing the vehicle in for service if nothing was actually wrong? I personally would look at what the truck is worth to sell. As others have mentioned above, you may be able to get rid of it with minimal loss.

Do all of these repairs have separate repair order tickets, or are they just lumping them all into one? Make sure they are separate orders and document everything. Just in case you have to lemon law it. @ram_man had that issue when he tried to lemon law his Focus, and Ford wasn’t opening repair orders and providing receipts when he took it in for repairs. Shady.

You have more patience than me. I would have brought Karen with me by now.

Quite often the techs are just doing what they are instructed to do. Although theres plenty of blame to go around in these scenarios its not always at the discretion of the tech, they often arent calling the shots. If they dont follow the rules they dont get paid.

Do all of these repairs have separate repair order tickets, or are they just lumping them all into one? Make sure they are separate orders and document everything. Just in case you have to lemon law it. @ram_man had that issue when he tried to lemon law his Focus, and Ford wasn’t opening repair orders and providing receipts when he took it in for repairs. Shady.

You have more patience than me. I would have brought Karen with me by now.
I am collecting all of my paperwork now. For the repeat days I have to go and leave, majority of them are their own, but I also have saved voicemails from each time. I am throwing this all together and documenting it all.

I can understand being frustrated but the parts shortage and the initial build quality are the least frustrating part of your story IMO. Why does it take 2, 3, 4, 5, 6x for the "factory trained" service techs to diagnose and fix something? Why do they only order a new module after trying to give you back the truck 3x, unfixed, and after literally doing nothing additional other than you refusing to take it 3x?

This is the kind of nonsense that leads to the reputation of dealership service departments. So many people think "factory trained" means they are top-notch when in reality these jokers can have an entire career there not fixing anything. Just another reason to avoid the dealership service department if possible and certainly for all out-of-warranty work.

I'm sorry you're having TWO major issues - a poorly built truck AND an incompetent service department.
Yes, absolutely. It is a huge let down when you get a new vehicle and its concern after concern after concern.

Back