What do you let your kids play with?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: R80RS
My middle school kid has told me some of the things he has seen on the high school kid's MacBooks on the school bus. It infuriates me to no end, particularly since I have brought this up with the Principal and district IT manager, to no apparent urgency.

You would not believe some of the books in the town library either!!! And they hide behind the 1st amendment!

I don't think your town library offers the sort of content that's being accessed with our school district's computers.

The college age kids each have i5 based laptops they picked out as graduation gifts.

My HS aged daughter has an i3 laptop my ex-wife bought her. But I don't let her bring it here because she just wants to go to the room to play.

I have that Dell Inspiron that I purchased years ago as a result of a thread here.

Dell Dimension Thread

I had to replace the Seagate 7200.11 firmware drive and a power supply in this computer. Since then, it's been a good performer.

We have that computer in a common area and my daughter uses it, in full sight of anyone in the house.

My daughter got a Kindle Fire HD from Santa when she was three after commandeering her mother's Galaxy Tab 2.

Many of the schools around here are equipping kids with tablets, so we figured giving her a head start with one would be a good idea.

Her baby brother tries to eat my phone.

a samsung 7" rebuilt tablet for bigger kiddo (they have to prove themselfs before getting new or bigger screen appliances) with free "edutainment" apps from samsung store with wifi disabled
some old laptop with edubuntu...

could any of you recommend some educational apps/games for android/edubuntu for 4-5 years old?

thanks

4th gen ipod touch given to kids. They use it occasionally. 30mins tops a day.

Occasionally use our Windows computers but my 5 year old got into my work computer with a VM running MintLinux and was floored PBSkids.org worked fine(pure flash) on Firefox.

People diss flash but it works!

My 15 year old son, in the 10th grade, has a laptop he got last year and a Kindle Fire HD he got this year. We allow him one hour on either machine.

On weekends if the weather is bad, we allow more time. All this depends on his grades in school. If we would let him, he would play on an electronic device all the time!

In the summer months, he is encouraged to go outside plus he works with me on projects.

Interesting to want to expose to *nix. Does the stuff ever die
smile.gif
?

My first real time on a computer(1987) was high school using some sort of terminal that hooked to admininstration unix computers and we learned Pascal. I learned the basics of unix command line and vi editor. Amazingly still use it and vi through college and recently on AIX.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Interesting to want to expose to *nix. Does the stuff ever die
smile.gif
?

My first real time on a computer(1987) was high school using some sort of terminal that hooked to admininstration unix computers and we learned Pascal. I learned the basics of unix command line and vi editor. Amazingly still use it and vi through college and recently on AIX.

Was that the Unisys ICON computer system by chance? I remember that from like grade 6.

Originally Posted By: stro_cruiser
I dont have kids but I cant help but think thats theres something very wrong with all of this.

Same here.

If my school system ever tries to issue each kid their own computer I will freak.

Little kids should not have their own computer, cell phone, etc...

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
I dont have kids but I cant help but think thats theres something very wrong with all of this.

Same here.

If my school system ever tries to issue each kid their own computer I will freak.

I don't understand this luddite attitude. Computers skills are going to be crucial to kids in the future. Trying to prevent them from accessing them now is only going to hurt them in the future.

Originally Posted By: Nick R

Same here.

I don't understand this luddite attitude. Computers skills are going to be crucial to kids in the future. Trying to prevent them from accessing them now is only going to hurt them in the future.

Exactly. I had free reign on my dad's computer starting when I was a little kid (8). That's how I started in IT and it got me into a great career that I thoroughly enjoy. Breaking and fixing his computer (so he didn't know I broke it) was what set the foundation for the technical knowledge I possess today. Without that opportunity I may very well have ended up doing something quite different that potentially lacked the upward mobility this career path offered and perhaps wouldn't be as future-proof, given the way the world is evolving.

21.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick R

Same here.

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Exactly. I had free reign on my dad's computer starting when I was a little kid (8). That's how I started in IT and it got me into a great career that I thoroughly enjoy. Breaking and fixing his computer (so he didn't know I broke it) was what set the foundation for the technical knowledge I possess today. Without that opportunity I may very well have ended up doing something quite different that potentially lacked the upward mobility this career path offered and perhaps wouldn't be as future-proof, given the way the world is evolving.

I have no problem with technology thanks and where did I advocate preventing kids from accessing computers? Please show me where I said that?

I said "little kids should not have their own computer, cell phone, etc..." and I firmly believe that. That does not say, or mean, they should never have access to them. It is talking about owning/having their own. Quite the leap on your part to imply I said any more than that.

I further said "if my school system ever tries to issue each kid their own computer I will freak". It is not my financial responsibility, via taxes, to buy computers for every kid in school. That is the responsibility of the parent who had them.

YOUNG kids should not own/have their own computer. The kid should at least be in Jr High School+ before they have their own computer and that should only be for the most mature and responsible IMO. Monitored access to do homework on a parent or family computer however is fine. I am not talking about totally banning access to them.

However, their access should be strictly limited to homework until they are at least in their middle teens. Kids spend way too much time on electronic devices these days and not enough outside in the fresh air and sunshine. It is unhealthy. Computers are dangerous in the hands of youngsters as well. They provide easy access to young people not mature and worldly enough to handle it for degenerates and deviants even when parents are ever vigilant.

The reading comprehension of some folks is very poor. Maybe if they spent more time paying attention to their studies and less time playing video games on their computer when they were 8 years old they would be smarter.
crackmeup2.gif

Last edited:

YOUNG kids should not own/have their own computer. The kid should at least be in Jr High School+ before they have their own computer and that should only be for the most mature and responsible IMO. Monitored access to do homework on a parent or family computer however is fine. I am not talking about totally banning access to them.

However, their access should be strictly limited to homework until they are at least in their middle teens. Kids spend way too much time on electronic devices these days and not enough outside in the fresh air and sunshine. It is unhealthy. Computers are dangerous in the hands of youngsters as well. They provide easy access to young people not mature and worldly enough to handle it for degenerates and deviants even when parents are ever vigilant.

So obviously the fact I was 8 when I had unsupervised access to a computer doesn't sit well with you then eh? I can lock down my home network and control what my kids have access to. But the most important thing is to convey to them what is and isn't appropriate, WHY it isn't appropriate and what kind of things they should be scared of. Like strangers approaching them, be it in real life or online.

When my kids are at a friend's house, I can't control the content they are viewing if they have a computer. But if my child is aware of what is and isn't appropriate, I am more confident in his/her ability to say "no, we can't watch that" than if I just iron-fisted their access at home and restricted what they do to just supervised homework. That makes what they do at a friend's house "exciting" and then they will WANT to look at and do that stuff because they aren't allowed to do anything other than homework on the computer at home. There has to be trust and understanding in place. If you don't want your child doing something making it taboo isn't going to help.

Quote:
The reading comprehension of some folks is very poor. Maybe if they spent more time paying attention to their studies and less time playing video games on their computer when they were 8 years old they would be smarter.
crackmeup2.gif

My reading comprehension is excellent. I was taking University courses in grade 9, and have a higher IQ than 99.9% of the population. I was reading at a 4th year University level in grade 2 and scored the highest in the province on the English provincial exam. I don't need to be any smarter thank you. Maybe instead of making personal attacks mocking the intelligence of those questioning your logic you can instead cite a basis for your argument as to why our methods mentioned here as to exposure to technology at a young age are unwise and why your approach with respect to restricting exposure is better?

And to be clear: My children get plenty of outdoor time. Plenty of exposure to hands-on activity, particularly at the cottage in the summer when the only time they might play with a tablet or computer is in the evening to wind-down from the day's activities. Time management is another important facet of this discussion that you touched on, but giving unsupervised access does not mean giving 24/7 access, that's a bit of a strawman.

First, I don't have kids. With that said, I've worked with all ages as a volunteer for several decades now, most recently in astronomy.

Regarding the digital domain we're currently drowning in and kids are growing up in, it's important to remember the analog domain as well. There needs to be a healthy balance.

In addition it's important to remember high-tech vs. high-touch. Developing kids needs lots of the later, in addition to hands-on activities to develop their minds, motor skills, and overall development.

I grew up in a time where lots of garage experimenting was going on, and tube equipment was everywhere. Discrete components could be touched, soldered, removed, wired, etc. Made for great learning. Seeing a glowing tube was sort of magic. TV sets were full of them. Due to "microtization" you need a magnifier to get a good look.

I'm all for technology and kids having access to it, using it and learning about it...within appropriate limits and ages. But it isn't an appropriate substitute for others mentioned above. It shouldn't be everything, IOW.

Astronomy is now deluged with the digital scopes, aps, cameras, and way-too-bright-white-flashlights, etc. However, the new owners wilt at reading a 200+ page manual about how to set it up, what collimation is, choosing eyepieces, telescopes, etc. and wilt further when they go outdoors, look up and ask "Where's Orion?" as it's usually lost in light from surrounding lights in town. IOW, you still have to learn the night sky...the digital scope won't do it all for you. Looking at the Moon though is really easy and kids & adults love it. You can use binoculars mounted on a tripod too...no fancy scope needed.

When I put on a star party for the neighbors kids, I drew the planets and constellations on the driveway using their big chalk. We also laid out a scale model of the solar system on the street. Pluto was more than 800ft away!

Another fun activity is to get a big box of popsicle sticks and a small glue gun and build things: House, fence, trellis, deck, etc. You can do a lot with popsicle sticks, they're cheap, non-toxic, safe for kids to chew on, paint and build things out of. Square off the ends with wire cutters and now you have a minature 1x6.

I could go on and on but I think you get the idea. I believe if engineering, math, chemistry, science, geometry was taught with more hands-on activites, far more kids would be interested in it. Kids learn by doing. And at their age, they need activities to actively-learn, to teach their hands how to do things, to learn patience, persistence and problem-solving.

Since this is BITOG, they can wash the car, change the oil, check the fluids, learn to put on a spare, make home-made washer fluid, and check the tire pressure..girls included.

Also, as a side note, my kids don't have cell phones and won't have them until there is actually a need for them (when they start going out to friend's houses by themselves and the like). At that point the purpose of the phone will be to stay in touch with each other, myself or their mother.

I can't think of a single thing that they would need a cell phone for to help with their education.

On the other hand, getting them exposed to the Linux CLI, learning how to program a router or switch....etc. All things they can do from a laptop or tablet. I think those are valuable skills. At least they have been for me and you are never too young to learn that kind of stuff. I was learning DOS and how a computer worked at their age. Figuring it all out for myself because my parents didn't have a clue. I was more interested in that stuff than games.

NHHEMI: Perhaps there's a disconnect here? I'm not advocating facebook and twitter; Social Media is not an essential technical skill. When I say I give my kids computers it isn't so they can go online and just watch youtube videos all afternoon, setup facebook accounts and go hog-wild. The intention is for them to learn the computer, the operating system, the network....etc. To learn what makes everything tick and become familiar with that. That doesn't mean I stop them from watching youtube videos. Some of the videos can be useful and educational. But that's not the purpose behind them having the devices nor is it to replace essential types of activities like playing, reading, sports...etc. It is one component of their education, nothing more.

I further said "if my school system ever tries to issue each kid their own computer I will freak". It is not my financial responsibility, via taxes, to buy computers for every kid in school. That is the responsibility of the parent who had them.

Without getting into the political discussion about school taxes, from a financial perspective, tablets and laptops can be a cheaper means of content delivery compared to textbooks. The printing, delivery, storage, and inventory costs of traditional textbooks are not encountered with computers. Rather than tracking 6 textbooks per student, only a single tablet or laptop must be tracked.

Tablets and laptops have dropped to very low prices on the consumer market and institutional prices are often even lower, as are software costs. Some schools even get free software. Virtually every K-12 school has a computer lab already, so much of the financial infrastructure is in place.

IOW, it may save the school district money to provide computers.

Originally Posted By: strat81

Without getting into the political discussion about school taxes, from a financial perspective, tablets and laptops can be a cheaper means of content delivery compared to textbooks. The printing, delivery, storage, and inventory costs of traditional textbooks are not encountered with computers. Rather than tracking 6 textbooks per student, only a single tablet or laptop must be tracked.

Tablets and laptops have dropped to very low prices on the consumer market and institutional prices are often even lower, as are software costs. Some schools even get free software. Virtually every K-12 school has a computer lab already, so much of the financial infrastructure is in place.

IOW, it may save the school district money to provide computers.

AH NO!

If the kids need a computer tell Mom and Dad to take a trip to Best Buy or Wal-Mart and buy them one. It is not my responsibility to do so through taxes.

Let the school provide software or books in PDF form and the like but the actual computer purchase should be on the parents of the kids.

Do you know how many books I can buy for the cost of ONE laptop? Even a cheap $300 one? MANY! 99% of the kids can't take care of the books they are issued let alone an expensive computer that is given to them. Technology changes so fast every few years they will want to buy new computers for all the kids too if they don't do it annually.

Just a baaaad idea and a huge financial burden on taxpayers. I am not against using them for school work( internet severely restricted however )don't get me wrong but for the schools to be buying and issuing them is not right.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: strat81

On top of that, tablets and other electronic media are dynamic. Books are static and can be obsolete to some degree by the time they are delivered to the student.

I guess it kind of goes both ways in the regard. The technology becomes obsolete (and damaged), but so can the books. About ten years ago, I visited an elementary school that was still using the 1973 Canadian atlas. East and West Germany? The USSR? On the other hand, a school science textbook would rarely need updating. Low level courses aren't as sensitive to change as, say, a doctoral student's work, of course.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back