Found a computer

Found another one today. Dell E5430, with an i3 in it. Win7 sticker but it looks like the free Win10 upgrade ended? I did check, it does power up and go into BIOS, so it might not be a brick. Prior owner took the HD out, so I'll swap in one of my 128GB SSD's and put on Mint. Daughter needs a better laptop and if this can do google docs it might be all that she needs. Just need a new battery, new ac adapter, and maybe another 4GB (8GB should be enough I think). Ok, not quite free, would guess there's a reason why I found it for that price.

Nice Sunday project all the same. :)

Dang, I just threw out our stock of batteries for that model and your e6410 laptop a couple months ago. Those things were built and weighed like bricks.

Dang, I just threw out our stock of batteries for that model and your e6410 laptop a couple months ago. Those things were built and weighed like bricks.
I remember using it years ago at work and thinking it was a great machine. Long in tooth now but it still soldiers on. It kinda colors my preference for Dell's as a result. Although to be honest, my e6410 was all but given to me by work when they aged out, and my work laptops are again supplied by work (they haven't given away any old ones lately, not sure why), so I'd be stuck with whatever they gave me to use.

This Precision 5560 seems pretty good too, no complaints (I don't want to know what it cost!) (now if I could just figure out why I'm on my work laptop during my vacation...).

Might be a miss on this laptop, bad display. It works enough to run with but it's got a line, some streaks and is really sensitive to me pressing around the edges. But the battery is in better shape than I thought, although it's got all of 2.5hours of life at best it seems. Display for $22, RAM for $10 or so, power supply for another $10-15? not sure if worth fixing up.
I had an old laptop that had a bad display. Not worth fixing all in all. Ended up putting it in the shop with a small monitor plugged in. Handy shop computer that you dont care if it gets buggered up.

paco

I had an old laptop that had a bad display. Not worth fixing all in all. Ended up putting it in the shop with a small monitor plugged in. Handy shop computer that you dont care if it gets buggered up.

paco
Haven’t done anything with it yet. I did buy a power supply, but mostly because my old laptop supply died, so having a spare was a good idea (my home laptop is on a generic supply). I think I’ve convinced myself to not put any money into on the basis of the screen, just too small of a resolution. Yeah when I do real work it’s on a monitor, but still, a laptop would at times have its value.

Back