Gaming PC Upgrade Advice

Rocking RTX 3070 myself.

Was a alot of controversy at launch. Google it.
Die size small compared to previous gen 70cards. Price at launch and mem-bus.
Should have been called 4060 and priced thereafter.

Used 3060 to 3080 or new 4080 are/was a better choice IMO. Not fully updated on prices atm.
I thought that was the 4070ti?

I was talking non ti.
Screenshot_20230909_144926_Slickdeals.jpg

Also on phone but if I was going one gen old id get this..

Which is late since op already bought.
But might help the next guy.

Maybe which was launched first 4070ti or 4070? Might have gotten them twisted.

You are aware of the problems with Intels P and E cores?

I bought an ASUS Tuf Gaming 27" 1440p 144hz monitor. It won't be in until Wednesday though.

What attracted me to the 6800XT is similar performance to the RTX 3080 but with 16GB vram.

The 5900X and B550-F were a combo deal for $350.

I miss the days when you could own a motherboard that was compatible with multiple memory architectures allowing you to reuse the ram from your old machine on the new one.

You still can, as long as they're the same generation. DDR4 went on for a while and DDR5 is starting to become more mainstream.

@RDY4WAR do you have a different PC you can test the GPU on?

Just did that, actually. The friend with the 1000W PSU also has a 6800XT so direct plugin as far as drivers and whatnot. It did the same thing to him so I'm thinking the same as you guys. DOA. I'll be in touch with Newegg. It kinda sucks I have to live with the 980 until another one comes in, but oh well.

My PC has served me well for 8 years, but it's time to upgrade.

My current PC (built Spring 2015)...

Asus Z97-A mobo
Intel i5-4690k cpu
Nvidia GTX 980 gpu
G.Skill DDR3-2400 32GB ram
WD 250 GB SSD + 1TB HD
Corsair 900w psu

I can play most games on 1080p at 60 fps on high settings with a few exceptions. I'm upgrading my monitor to a 4k (3840 x 2160) monitor with 144 mhz refresh rate. Here's the upgraded build idea, reusing my psu, case, sound card, wifi card, and so forth...

x470 mobo
5800X3D cpu
RTX 3060-ti gpu
DDR4-3200 64GB ram
2TB SSD + 4TB HD

A friend suggested that since I don't care to go above 120 fps (I can't honestly tell the difference above that anyway) that the cpu is overkill, and I could go cheaper there and put more money toward a better gpu and ram like this....

x470 mobo
5600 cpu
RTX 3070 gpu
DDR4 3600 64GB ram
2TB SSD + 4TB HD

I mostly play open world strategy / objective based games like ARK:SE, GTA V, RDR2, etc... I don't really have a set budget, but not going to spend $1k on a gpu either. Any advice appreciated.
MicroCenter has a 5600X3D exclusively… was like $169 in-store IIRC.

You still can, as long as they're the same generation. DDR4 went on for a while and DDR5 is starting to become more mainstream.

@RDY4WAR do you have a different PC you can test the GPU on?
I had Chinese boards that would take FPM/EDO/SDRAM in simms or dimms

My later Chinese board could accept sdram or ddr

Haven’t seen that type of thing in years

The above would be similar to a modern board accepting DDR3/4/5 all at once

The build is together but having issues with display. See build specs above.

I've quadruple checked that all of the PCIe cables are plugged in tight and correctly, the GPU is firmly in the slot, and the HDMI cable is plugged into the GPU.

I don't think it's the PSU as a friend loaned me his 1000W PSU to try and got the same issue. Plus, it's doing this with little to no load on the GPU.

About half the time, when I power on the PC, there's no signal to the monitor. No display at all. If I power it on and off a few times, I will eventually see a display, can get in UEFI / Bios, and boot Windows 10. From there, it will randomly crash to black screen and no signal. It's done it just sitting at the Windows home screen so no real load on the GPU. When I go to install the GPU driver, it wants to crash to black screen, except one time I got it to fully install... and still crashed.

Previous GPU is a GTX 980. I ran DDU (in safe mode) to start with a clean slate with the new GPU before installing it. I swapped the 980 back in and it works fine. I tried DDU again and same issue.

The one time it stayed up long enough to install the driver, it showed up in device manager but with a warning stating something along the lines of being disabled due to the device not working properly. Before I could dig into that, it crashed, and haven't been able to get that far again.

All other drivers are up to date. The BIOS is updated to latest version. I'm not really sure where to go from here. If it's the GPU itself and I have to RMA it, so be it, but I want to exhaust all other options before resorting to that. I'd hate to exchange it for another one only to still have the same issue.
I know its a bit late but we had the same issue for about 20 minutes then we found:
Solution HDMI cable was plugged into regular HDMI outlet not the HDMI outlet direct connected to the GPU ( have a CPU w/o internal graphics)

I know its a bit late but we had the same issue for about 20 minutes then we found:
Solution HDMI cable was plugged into regular HDMI outlet not the HDMI outlet direct connected to the GPU ( have a CPU w/o internal graphics)

I had it plugged into the HDMI on the GPU. I returned the card to Newegg. They're exchanging it for another one.

Back