New computer or upgrade SSD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My PC is about 10 years old. Built it myself. Runs fine. Have a couple 1TB hard drives for storage I barely use and a 256GB SSD boot drive. The boot drive is full and I can't seem to make much room on it. I've moved all my documents and pictures and everything else to the storage drives but it still fills up. I can delete temp folders and it's good for a little while.

Going to install a new 500GB SSD and clone the current SSD over to it. Running Win7. Have had good luck withe my current Samsung SSD so would buy a 500GB Samsung SSD.

Just learning about some new tech were the SSD is a chip on the Mobo.

I used the PC for basic stuff, MS Office, Youtube, Internet browsing. Would like to get a new game or two.

Vid card in my PC broke last month and I'm running the Mobo vid chip now.

Should I upgrade the SSD or build a new PC? I'd need Mobo, CPU, RAM, Vid card, Could reuse my case and storage HDD and PS.

Originally Posted by Leo99
My PC is about 10 years old. Built it myself. Runs fine. Have a couple 1TB hard drives for storage I barely use and a 256GB SSD boot drive. The boot drive is full and I can't seem to make much room on it. I've moved all my documents and pictures and everything else to the storage drives but it still fills up. I can delete temp folders and it's good for a little while.

Going to install a new 500GB SSD and clone the current SSD over to it. Running Win7. Have had good luck withe my current Samsung SSD so would buy a 500GB Samsung SSD.

I used the PC for basic stuff, MS Office, Youtube, Internet browsing. Would like to get a new game or two.

Should I upgrade the SSD or build a new PC? I'd need Mobo, CPU, RAM, Vid card, Could reuse my case and storage HDD and PS.
Specs? 10 years old is ancient!

My vote is just build a new one. 10 yrs is pretty old. I would't reuse the PS if its 10 yrs old but that's just me.

Had a smile with your signature quote. Been a long time since I've heard someone mention Deming:)

CPU is an AMD Phenom 9950 quad core 2.61 Ghz
4 GB RAM

ASUS mobo.

Maybe it's time to look at some black Friday deals.

NAND is replay cheap now due to glut of supply so it's a good time to get a SSD. I would get a new SSD and keep the current rig if disk space is your only concern. Then move the SSD to a new build when the moment is right.

MSFT will end support & stop issuing security patches on Win7 in January 2020 so should probably plan to upgrade your setup by then.

Originally Posted by WagonWheel
NAND is replay cheap now due to glut of supply so it's a good time to get a SSD. I would get a new SSD and keep the current rig if disk space is your only concern. Then move the SSD to a new build when the moment is right.

MSFT will end support & stop issuing security patches on Win7 in January 2020 so should probably plan to upgrade your setup by then.

I"m on Newegg pricing things out and a new PC is getting expensive quickly.

I also have a ten year old gaming PC, which I plan to upgrade. But in my case, it is more for fun and learning for my son and I.

It is an old Gateway gaming FX, with a nice in Intel quad core (want to say it is 3.1-3.4) Catch is getting it to windows 7.

Other than that, should be able to throw 7 on an SSD, throw a bit more DDR2 ram on it, and have a little fun with it. (Latest Vid card is maybe 4 years old)

Not quite as much for the desktops as there used to....

I would not clone your current hard drive. I do not understand how it is filled up? I just installed Windows 10 on a i5 computer and only used 21 gig. I would start over fresh and you may not need a new hard drive if you want to keep what you have and make do.

As far a newer faster computer or building one, it may be nice. Each person has their priorities. I like them old and slow myself. My main computer is 12 years old.

Since you backed up all the files, I would simply do a fresh windows 7 install if you can. That will start you fresh.
Another option is to run a Disk Cleanup utility, you would be surprised just how much windows stores from various updates, temporary files, etc. Also, you must have a lot of software/games to take up 256 gigs of memory, I would try uninstalling some of that.

I would probably still build another computer, as a main computer, but still use the old one for web browsing where you don't have to care if it gets infected or not. Do the important stuff on the new one, and frivolous web surfing on the old one.

I"m on Newegg pricing things out and a new PC is getting expensive quickly.

Yea I found that out last year when my gigabyte ivy bridge mobo crapped out. The good news is SATA is pretty future proof. You can get 512 or 1TB at decent prices and then us that as your bulk drive when you upgrade.

I'm posting from a Core2duo Dell pre-built that i've slowly upgraded. It came with Vista preloaded.

If you like to game then going new built is the only way to go about it.

My pc is my main machine. Doesn't even have USB3.0 but honestly i don't do much and i told myself i dont want to game anymore. But every now and then i get the itch to build but never do. I keep wanting to build a mini-pc or w/e is the size of a toaster.

You sure do have a lot of stuff on your boot drive. Maybe the My Document or Download folders? My work computer barely used 128GB of the 256GB I have.

Anyways, the latest tech is not a "chip on motherboard", it is NVMe (fancy way of saying PCIe). It is faster for servers but most desktop it is overkill. If you really like your current computer you can upgrade just the drive, but at 10 years things are probably end of reliable life (power supply, motherboard capacitors, obsoleted technologies, cpu fan, etc).

Time to start from scratch, but you can still move your old SSD and hard drive over.

One of my work laptops is a 12 year old Dell with a Core2Duo. It was pretty bad after 12 years with it's factory configuration. I put in a reclaimed SSD and upgraded the memory and it works great for windows 10.

SSD and some more RAM will speed it up. As long as you're not going to game, that is.

I built my first few PC's . Stopped doing that when I realized I could buy a computer at the big box stores , cheaper .

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=pci+ssd

I downloaded CCleaner. Tried the Windows cleaners but they only freed up 1GB. CCleaner freed up 86 GB! Great program if you need it. And it's free!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back