Anyone else feel bad, about getting rid of your kid's toys?

In my case, the Granddaughter's toys. She is 18 now and will never play with them again.
I should just throw them in the trash, however the good memories of them tell me elsewise.

Not so much toys for us, but the MASS QUANTITY of stuffed animals ours has accumulated over 20 years.

She's back at home with us finishing up college and I really hope that she either thins the herd, or at minimum buys her first house that has easy access for me to drop them all off at her new place.

I still cry over my mother throwing out my comic books and my old baseball cards. Some old toys become valuable.

Remember the movie Citizen Kane? He died thinking about his sled, "Rosebud" It got burned up in a furnace.

I have a 3 and 5 year old and regularly get rid of toys they don't play with.

When I was a child I'd only get toys on birthdays and Christmas. My kids seem to get toys all year round! Most of them only get played with a handful of times before they sit gathering dust so end up on marketplace or donated.

I did find someone local giving away a huge box of matchbox cars from the 70's & 80's which I snapped up. The quality is so much better than what you buy today and my son loves his toy cars.

Depends on the toys. Some are probably not of interest to anybody and are worn and can be thrown out. Others could be donated or given to the kids of relatives and friends. Many of my toys have become collectibles and I still have them. We kept games and such things. Train sets. I have many of my and my son's old toy cars on display. Many of them were weekend projects we worked on together and I'd hate to get rid of them. If I were forced to get rid of most of them for some reason I'd still keep a few as personal mementos. But that's me. Everyone is different. Are toys still a thing? Model building was still huge in the '80s but now I think it's people my age and older who build models. Proper hobby shops have mostly disappeared. Pastimes and interests have changed. Most kids and adults are glued to screens - as am I right now. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
All I know is when they get shoved into a full gallon of milk they get thrown away. But yes, some of their toys do have sentimental value and my wife and I have stopped each other from throwing away certain toys.
IMG_8928.jpeg

Last edited:
The answer is it’s up to you. Sorry, but I I think it becomes clutter. Those toys don’t define your children. I was guilty of it myself. Put them in a box and give them to a charitable organization. Yes, it’s possible they will throw them out but try not to fret. If you like, photograph them to help preserve the memories.

Last edited:
We kept old toys and stuffed animals from our son and daughter. We committed only one plastic bin with a good sealed lid. Now our granddaughters are playing with some of them. The rest went to Goodwill.

The answer is it’s up to you.
Some are probably not of interest to anybody and are worn and can be thrown out.
One charity near us is very good in the toy/game/children's book category. It supports a school.
They call themselves an "Upscale thrift store"; still, the prices are right.

Here I am overthinking this....Engage your brain cells and cull the stuff, separate the gems....decide....deliver....discard.....
....and do it with dispatch.
Don't wallow in a pit of one flavor sorrow + sentimentality. It is, after all, just stuff.

Attic is full of my daughters stuff, especially the big stuffed bear she won at the carny. :D

Back