Daughter's trip to JiffyLube

Just leaving this here in case any other people who don't have a jack, tools, drain pan, whatever........... to DIY

Ford charges about 50$, plus tax and other fees it's well under $75 - probably more like $65

I had about a billion Ford points I used for oil changes. I used coupons to save Ford points. I saw what the price for everything was on the invoice (back then a "Works Package, which is what I'll post below is now known as) and it was 39.99 for the package with about 8-10 bucks in assorted other fees and tax. My 5.0 F150 and Mustang used that more than what that cost in Wally cheap oil and a filter (9 quarts and 8 quarts). I have yet to have a problem with an oil change at any Ford dealer. They don't even care if you watch - the one I used mostly has this big glass window you can stand at and watch them do it if you are so inclined. Me, I didn't care. I often ate a free doughnut and was often offered a water or Coke while I waited. I did buy a number of vehicles from Fort Mill Ford, but the doughnuts were always help yourself, so I dunno if the water and cans of coke were just for Mr Repeat Buyer or for everyone.

My son is a district manager for a quickie lube operation, and I still don't shill for quickie lubes. I will shill for WalMart (also about 60-70 bucks out the door) and Ford dealerships - if you absolutely cannot DIY it. I'll probably be there in the next 10 years. Degenerative Disc is a heck of a DIY deterrent and mine gets worse every day I wake up.

1713834471910.jpg

I'll also rat out Jiffy Lube for using non-Shell oil. I have zero evidence that any of them do it now, but the one my son used to work at used bulk Valvoline - I have no idea how that went over with corporate BUT - . It's now closed so I don't care if some SOPUS rep threatens me for libel or whatever.

Does she have a Mavis nearby? They do my fleet vehicle (Ford Escape.). They do a really good job. In South Caroline I think they charge about $75 for a synthetic oil change and tire rotation.
I've seen the one in Rock Hill SC offer 29.99 specials in the last year. It's not hard to say NO on upsells. It's a one syllable word. I bought tires for my old Escape there once, and I believe I let them change the oil for 20.99$ (this was circa 2015)

I do my own work. Always have.

Not everyone has that option.

My daughter is quite busy, and doesn’t have time to work on a car, or to learn how to work on a car.
And handicapped people do exist. BITOG exspherts forgets that a lot

My Nissan Dealers ( 2 ) run synthetic oil change specials for $49.99 every couple of months . Yes , it's a loss leader for their upsells but I just say NO THANKS .

Daughter lives too far away for me to actually help with an oil change. She brings her Kia Telluride into JiffyLube and they say they don't stock the needed oil filter. Suggests she pick one up and come back. Now how "Jiffy" is that?

So of course she asks me to order her one on Amazon. (She is 42 with kids and a husband who could change her oil).

She goes back into JiffyLube a few days later. The Pennzoil synthetic is $101.99. Gave her a discount for bringing in the filter. But that oil is roughly $30 at Walmart for a 5 QT jug.

So I guess my pickup needing 14 QT would be $300?

Gone are the days of a $20 to $30 oil change.

A son is a son until he takes a wife. A daughter is a daughter for life.
Sounds to me its more lube than Jiffy.

I've used Valvoline for decades for my cars. They are imo, the only decent oil change place. They don't upsell, and they're friendly and well trained. I've used them on both the east and west coast, never had a bad experience there. On their satisfaction survey they specifically ask if you felt pushed to buy other services, which is against their policy. I have had fluids changed there besides oil too, but not because the employees were shoving them down my throat.

OTOH, I visited a Jiffy Lube one time years ago when we were in a city that didn't have a Valvoline and I needed an oil change. Wow, what an experience that was. They tried to sell me another $200 worth of BS including 'windshield chip repair'. They were pushy as hell, too. I complained about it on their 'customer service feedback' card and their manager called me that evening. Honestly he was really awful too, and I realized he only called because Jiffy Lube sells a lot of franchises and he was forced to call. This didn't surprise me because franchise chains are often less than honest. I don't mean they're total crooks, just that the incredible pressure on the owners to bring in high numbers for the company makes them do things they might not otherwise do - ethically questionable things, imo. I've found Good Year and Firestone shops fall into this category too.

TLDR: I like Valvoline. ;)

I’ve never been to a Goodyear but yes Firestone is terrible about upselling.

Just leaving this here in case any other people who don't have a jack, tools, drain pan, whatever........... to DIY

Ford charges about 50$, plus tax and other fees it's well under $75 - probably more like $65

I had about a billion Ford points I used for oil changes. I used coupons to save Ford points. I saw what the price for everything was on the invoice (back then a "Works Package, which is what I'll post below is now known as) and it was 39.99 for the package with about 8-10 bucks in assorted other fees and tax. My 5.0 F150 and Mustang used that more than what that cost in Wally cheap oil and a filter (9 quarts and 8 quarts). I have yet to have a problem with an oil change at any Ford dealer. They don't even care if you watch - the one I used mostly has this big glass window you can stand at and watch them do it if you are so inclined. Me, I didn't care. I often ate a free doughnut and was often offered a water or Coke while I waited. I did buy a number of vehicles from Fort Mill Ford, but the doughnuts were always help yourself, so I dunno if the water and cans of coke were just for Mr Repeat Buyer or for everyone.

My son is a district manager for a quickie lube operation, and I still don't shill for quickie lubes. I will shill for WalMart (also about 60-70 bucks out the door) and Ford dealerships - if you absolutely cannot DIY it. I'll probably be there in the next 10 years. Degenerative Disc is a heck of a DIY deterrent and mine gets worse every day I wake up.

View attachment 215625

I'll also rat out Jiffy Lube for using non-Shell oil. I have zero evidence that any of them do it now, but the one my son used to work at used bulk Valvoline - I have no idea how that went over with corporate BUT - . It's now closed so I don't care if some SOPUS rep threatens me for libel or whatever.
That price usually excludes any oil that over 5 or 6 quarts. Like the 3.5 EcoBoost.

I had one really bad experience with Valvoline a year or so ago. I knew better than to take it there but was cut for time. They stripped the drain bolt and tried to blame it on Subaru. Because they couldn't remove it, they tried to extract the fluid through the dipstick hole. Ended up overfilling the engine and they put the oil filter on much too tight.

For $100.00 you could buy 20qts of Mobil 1 via Walmart or order HPL/Amsoil. Of course your time is valuable too but if you DIY you can certainly save a lot.
Amazing the DIY’s among of us can go a lifetime with no drain bolt issues - but places that do it for a living mess up often …
I have my first service agreement ever - to get the extended warranty they have to change the oil. I did an early change and put a Fumoto valve in - hoping they’d not strip anything …

That price usually excludes any oil that over 5 or 6 quarts. Like the 3.5 EcoBoost.
The F150 I owned held 9 quarts
The Mustang I owned held 8 quarts.
The 2012 F150 I owned also held 8 quarts.

The fine print always said "up to 6 quarts" but I never paid more than 39.99 plus taxes and fees. YMMV

I know 2018 3.5 ecos also hold 6. I don't know if newer ones hold more. I think even the 5.0s don't hold 9 anymore

Daughter lives too far away for me to actually help with an oil change. She brings her Kia Telluride into JiffyLube and they say they don't stock the needed oil filter. Suggests she pick one up and come back. Now how "Jiffy" is that?

So of course she asks me to order her one on Amazon. (She is 42 with kids and a husband who could change her oil).

She goes back into JiffyLube a few days later. The Pennzoil synthetic is $101.99. Gave her a discount for bringing in the filter. But that oil is roughly $30 at Walmart for a 5 QT jug.

So I guess my pickup needing 14 QT would be $300?

Gone are the days of a $20 to $30 oil change.

A son is a son until he takes a wife. A daughter is a daughter for life.
A friend with lift/side business does my oil for typically a $40ish charge + parts between his $50/hr labor rate and he calls disposal/cleanup. The parts run about $70 for oil change kit (filter/new plastic/oil) from FCP auto.

Dealer charges $120 for similar thing.

$100 is about right for service.

Amazing the DIY’s among of us can go a lifetime with no drain bolt issues - but places that do it for a living mess up often …
I have my first service agreement ever - to get the extended warranty they have to change the oil. I did an early change and put a Fumoto valve in - hoping they’d not strip anything …
Not to let techs off the hook but a person changing their own oil does the same car or 2 every time, the techs get a different car every time. Certainly more opportunity for mistakes when you're not intimately familiar with the car and it's oil pan arrangement and you're trying to get it done super fast. Plus techs get paid next to nothing, so you're not likely to get super patient, careful people.

I've never had an issue going to multiple Valvoline shops over the years, though I'm sure it's happened with their many locations. I do think as a company though they have a good business model and genuinely want their customers to have a great experience, and they care about their reputation. Places like Jiffy Lube rake you over the coals with their upsells and add-on BS. Another poster mentioned it's easy to just say 'no', but personally I prefer not to have to sit through a mini timeshare style sales experience every time I have my oil changed. I refuse to patronize places with that business model, whatever they happen to be selling, and if Valvoline adopted that business model I wouldn't continue going there.

Anecdotal it is not but you believe what you will.
OK, I'll share with you some knowledge acquired first hand as a vendor to a small chain of six Jiffy Lube stores. I was in stores several times a week over twenty years. I saw everything going on from the basement to the attic, good bad and ugly. I met with the owner at least monthly. The tenor of those meetings ran from friendly and cordial to very contentious.

The two important numbers were car count and ticket average. One of the best ways to keep the first number up is to have repeat customers. The franchisee worked very hard to accomplish it. Two big points to address this is to avoid damage claims and avoid pressure up-selling. These were stressed every day. Claims cost money and pressure up-selling cost repeat customers. Their typical up-selling spiel went like this: "Your vehicle's manufacturer recommends these maintenance services at this mileage. May we perform them for you today? Yes? Very good, we'll start right away." Or "No? Please consider Jiffy Lube when you decide to have them done." I heard heard it myself hundreds of times. Granted, not all are like this, and if the person is paid on commission it's much more likely to happen. And that's the story that gets retold over and over again.

I'm going to run a few numbers at you. The last I knew Jiffy Lube had 2100+ stores. Their website says over 2000. So I'll use that figure. A marginal store averages 40 cars a day. Many do much, much better. So I'll use 50, which is probably low by a good bit. 2000 stores doing 50 cars a day. That's 100,000 oil changes a day, 600,000 a week, and over thirty million a year. I submit those numbers aren't achievable without satisfied repeat customers.

OK, I'll share with you some knowledge acquired first hand as a vendor to a small chain of six Jiffy Lube stores. I was in stores several times a week over twenty years. I saw everything going on from the basement to the attic, good bad and ugly. I met with the owner at least monthly. The tenor of those meetings ran from friendly and cordial to very contentious.

The two important numbers were car count and ticket average. One of the best ways to keep the first number up is to have repeat customers. The franchisee worked very hard to accomplish it. Two big points to address this is to avoid damage claims and avoid pressure up-selling. These were stressed every day. Claims cost money and pressure up-selling cost repeat customers. Their typical up-selling spiel went like this: "Your vehicle's manufacturer recommends these maintenance services at this mileage. May we perform them for you today? Yes? Very good, we'll start right away." Or "No? Please consider Jiffy Lube when you decide to have them done." I heard heard it myself hundreds of times. Granted, not all are like this, and if the person is paid on commission it's much more likely to happen. And that's the story that gets retold over and over again.

I'm going to run a few numbers at you. The last I knew Jiffy Lube had 2100+ stores. Their website says over 2000. So I'll use that figure. A marginal store averages 40 cars a day. Many do much, much better. So I'll use 50, which is probably low by a good bit. 2000 stores doing 50 cars a day. That's 100,000 oil changes a day, 600,000 a week, and over thirty million a year. I submit those numbers aren't achievable without satisfied repeat customers.
Sort of like older people who worship their doctors because they are nice to them and write prescriptions without a hassle no matter if they need them or not. Are they really good doctors?

It's easy to satisfy the uneducated or those in immediate need. Good and bad reside amongst us. Nothing new eh?

You're forgetting one thing. Jiffy Lube's main business is doing oil changes so it charges what it costs them in labor, materials and overhead. A dealer or repair shop charges $29.99 which is their cost, or less, just so they can find other work that your car needs and are hoping you will have them do it while it's there.
The dealers pump something in the air so when you're sitting there waiting for your oil change, you decide to buy a new one

Jiffy Lube franchisees are free to use any oil they like. The franchise agreement doesn't mandate SOPUS brands. Jiffy Lube still gets their percentage, and the franchisee gives up advertising he pays for. It's their decision.

On the other hand, if he has a lube agreement, he's bound to purchase the majority of his product with that company. The lube agreements have an end date. They will often include pricing otherwise not available, territorial protection and financing for the owner to invest in his business. Understandably the more the financing, the less special the pricing. The financing is often in the form of zero interest or no payback loans. Most, but not all Jiffy Lube franchisees have lube agreements with SOPUS. When they expire, they're free to negotiate a new one, or not.

Sort of like older people who worship their doctors because they are nice to them and write prescriptions without a hassle no matter if they need them or not. Are they really good doctors?

It's easy to satisfy the uneducated or those in immediate need. Good and bad reside amongst us. Nothing new eh?
Or for millions, without overthinking it, they're happy to check that item off their list of errands and move on to the next thing.

Back