attention cheap oil users

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: madeej11
Why is Supertech a no name generic brand ?

The point is that it's not, that's just a goofy argument made by some in this thread who like to troll and post endless unsupported statements.

Originally Posted By: EricBeau
Looks good to me! I just picked up a jug of Supertech HM 0W-20 Synthetic to run in my Odyssey for its next oil change. $15.68 on Rollback. I’ll run it for 5,000 miles then probably do it again.

so you actually spend more on oil changes. if you were to buy mobil 1 and go 10k, it would be cheaper. So now what? And don't use the argument of fresh oil vs old oil until 10k. analysis shows oil used from the 5k to 10k mark is always fine if all is well with your modern engine.

Happy birthday today kschachn... The best Inquisitor in this place. No question about that
lol.gif

I choose to change oil in my Odyssey at 5,000 miles. It makes me feel good. In my Camry, I change it every six months, which equates to roughly 1,500 miles. I know it may seem crazy to some but that’s what I choose to do.

Have a nice day!

I choose to change oil in my Odyssey at 5,000 miles. It makes me feel good. In my Camry, I change it every six months, which equates to roughly 1,500 miles. I know it may seem crazy to some but that’s what I choose to do.

Have a nice day!

And that's fine. But some who make similar comments can't be content to just do things their way, science be danged, they have to wave it in front of everyone's face in a forum as if them just wanting to do it is all the justification needed to proclaim it "universally correct." "I wanna" is an infant's argument. All of us have emotionally based preferences not necessarily centered on facts or science. For myself, I am hesitant to bring those things to a debate based on facts for fear of looking the fool amongst people making science or fact-based arguments.

https://www.theatlantic.com/business/arc...buffets/384033/

Quote:
New research shows that paying that much for a buffet might actually make the food taste better. Three researchers did an all you can eat (AYCE) buffet field experiment to test whether the cost of an AYCE buffet affected how much diners enjoyed it. They conducted their research at an Italian AYCE buffet in New York, and over the course of two weeks 139 participants were either offered a flier for $8 buffet or a $4 buffet (both had the same food). Those who paid $8 rated the pizza 11 percent tastier than those who paid $4. Moreover, the latter group suffered from greater diminishing returns—each additional slice of pizza tasted worse than that of the $8 group.

If paying more means that exactly the same food tastes better...and that's an actual user experience, then of course paying more for your oil makes one think that they are getting abetter outcome.

We rationalise it...why would we pay more for the same or less, and we aren't idiots, so of course paying more is better value.

It reminds me of the old Corvette story from the '60s (R&T, I think). They took a stock Corvette and dyno tested it. Then they added mufflers that made it sound louder and more "high performance" but didn't alter the power output. Then they brought in a group of drivers who considered themselves "performance oriented" and asked them to evaluate the car stock, and then "modified." Overwhelmingly, they judged the car faster with the louder mufflers when in fact the far was just the same but louder. This fueled my distrust of the average person's "butt dyno" and even my own. I can't feel 10 hp on most cars, even if the extra power has been demonstrated on the dyno.

Anyway, this is along the lines of what Shannow is saying. We do things to make ourselves feel good and then try to rearrange the facts to support it. It's not universal, of course, but I think it's human nature. Something to guard against.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
It reminds me of the old Corvette story from the '60s (R&T, I think). They took a stock Corvette and dyno tested it. Then they added mufflers that made it sound louder and more "high performance" but didn't alter the power output. Then they brought in a group of drivers who considered themselves "performance oriented" and asked them to evaluate the car stock, and then "modified." Overwhelmingly, they judged the car faster with the louder mufflers when in fact the far was just the same but louder. This fueled my distrust of the average person's "butt dyno" and even my own. I can't feel 10 hp on most cars, even if the extra power has been demonstrated on the dyno.

Anyway, this is along the lines of what Shannow is saying. We do things to make ourselves feel good and then try to rearrange the facts to support it. It's not universal, of course, but I think it's human nature. Something to guard against.

A combination of perception and confirmation bias.

Have a nice day!

Once a year for that Camry makes even better sense. Such a waste to change at 1.5k / 6 months.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
... We rationalise it...why would we pay more for the same or less, and we aren't idiots, so of course paying more is better value.
In an essentially similar famous experiment, identical sweaters marked as on sale in a department store sold better if the price was not too low---or too high.

All of us have emotionally based preferences not necessarily centered on facts or science. For myself, I am hesitant to bring those things to a debate based on facts for fear of looking the fool amongst people making science or fact-based arguments.

The economists still can’t put a monetary value on “satisfying emotionally based preferences” so any calculation they could make in order to convince you that the cheapest alternative is the best for you - is actually fundamentally flawed.

This fueled my distrust of the average person's "butt dyno" and even my own. I can't feel 10 hp on most cars, even if the extra power has been demonstrated on the dyno.

That's why I love playing around with motorcycles, you can feel even small changes to the engine or anything else. With cars it takes a big change to make a noticeable difference.

Originally Posted By: Silk
This fueled my distrust of the average person's "butt dyno" and even my own. I can't feel 10 hp on most cars, even if the extra power has been demonstrated on the dyno.

That's why I love playing around with motorcycles, you can feel even small changes to the engine or anything else. With cars it takes a big change to make a noticeable difference.

All about power to weight ratio. The lighter a vehicle is, the more increasing HP will change the power to weight.

Even on motorcycles with not very good power to weight, I can feel power difference much more than a car. I ride a 50cc every day, and drop in power is very noticable. Years ago my daily rider was a 500cc sidevalve single, with 13hp in a 425lb bike - any drop in hp was catastrophic.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
And yet the OP never posted any factual data to support claims.

My factual data was presented. You just don't understand the debate to realize that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back